Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough idle/engine miss while driving

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2002, 08:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rough idle/engine miss while driving

I have a 2002 Cruiser with a 2.4L 4 cylinder and a 5 speed manual transmission. At idle, the engine runs rough and while driving, especially during warm up, there is a miss. I have had the vehicle to my Dealer six times for the same problem. The Service Department and the "experts" from Chrysler say they can not find anything wrong. They also state that computer does not register any problems. Has anyone experienced any similar problems. If so, what did you do to correct.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 12:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Smith,
I belong to 5 PT forums, and your rough idle problem pops up on all of them. It seems that the 5 speed has about 99% of the problems. Some said becuase of the stall converter on the automatic, it tends to soften the rough idle. Others have tried the new platinum plugs with varied results, others tried fuel injector cleaner and going to a performance air intake system. I don't think I've actually read where anyone had done away completely with the rough idle. You'd think the dealer could locate your miss. Did you leave it overnight at the dealer so they could feel the miss when it's cold/warming up? Sorry I don't have a complete answer, maybe someone else can give you more help. By the way, welcome to the forum.

Old 16 Sep 2002, 05:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i have the same problem since day one, i tried to change the plugs, put injector cleaner, change type of gas and gas station each time, and at 9000km the problem is still there, and the dealer says everything is fine. My friend pt is 2 years old and never shake..grrr.

Nurbzulu
Old 27 Sep 2002, 10:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2001 cruiser and it is automatic, I have had the engine miss while driving since new. I have had it back to Chrysler many times. They have finally said just this week that it is a chracteristic of the cruiser. We have to live with it until or when they find a cure. I have had problems with my a/c also. It has been at the dealers for a month. They finally I hope found the problem after they had to funish me a car for 4 days. I hope it is fixed this time, ( it has been in about 6 other times for the same problem). I haven't had the time to drive it for a while and see. Just thought I would let someone know.

Old 05 Oct 2002, 12:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

this seem to be a problem that the service guys don't know much about.but it is there,a miss between 40-60mph.i have it. now i found the cure,TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN# 1802701,some vehicles may exibit moderate to severe highway speed 45-60mph,vehicle surge on 2001 and 2002 PT.TAKE IT BACK TO THEM AND TELL THEM # TSB 1802701 IS THE ANSWER.HOPE I HELPED SOMEONE.........JIM

Old 10 Oct 2002, 02:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to wbslws

I had the same problem with my 01 LE. I changed the spark plugs at 30,000 thinking that might be the problem. It helped but still had a miss especially when the engine was warm and the airconditioner was on.
I told the Chrysler dealer when I took it in for the recall and they found out that the coil pack and # 2 and 3 spark plug wires were bad. Replaced under warranty. I have only had it back two days and I don't seem to notice the old problem anymore.