Advertisements
Ignition coil

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2012, 07:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Ignition coil

Evening all.
Are there any known issues with ignition coils on the PT? I am chasing an intermittent rough idle, a miss that's not a miss. I recently rebuilt it from the head up (ck other posts), and just can't make myself happy with the idle.

There are no vacuum leaks, the timing is correct, all the sensors test in parameters, and the CEL light is not on. The only clue I really have is that when it is first driven in the day, it is perfect. If it sits for 15 minutes and driven again, the idle is rough. If it sits an hour and a half, it idles fine. I'm thinking heat related after a heat soak. I have tried 2 sets of plugs and the plug wires are brand new MSD 8.5.

Has anyone heard of a coil that only acts up at idle? Anything other than idle is great. It runs better than it ever has.

I appreciate any insights.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 21 Aug 2012, 07:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Ignition coil

The Cruiser coils have a reputation for being very robust. They hold up and perform better than the aftermarket "high performance" coils. There is the occational, rare post about a failed stock coil but in general, they are pretty reliable.
OurPTGT and Badglas like this.
Old 21 Aug 2012, 07:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

They have a reputation of being bullet proof around here. I'm thinking nitro or someone posted on this subject.
Badglas likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Aug 2012, 07:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
The Cruiser coils have a reputation for being very robust. They hold up and perform better than the aftermarket "high performance" coils. There is the occational, rare post about a failed stock coil but in general, they are pretty reliable.
I guess that narrows my question to do they always fail when they go bad? I agree from what I read, they are bulletproof. Just wondering if they've ever been known to cause driveabilty problems like I am chasing. Coils rarely fail, and in my experience it would be even rarer to cause my problem, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks,

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 21 Aug 2012, 07:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
They have a reputation of being bullet proof around here. I'm thinking nitro or someone posted on this subject.
I thought I saw a post, but I haven't been able to find it.

Old 21 Aug 2012, 08:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The coils are simple transformers. They work or don't. If exposed to environmental conditions or harsh chemicals the terminal ends may corrode but the main body will still function but with a higher resistance that may be interpreted with higher voltage requirements or loads as an ignition misfire?

As far as OEM vs. aftermarket specifically MSD, well we all have strong opinions on that one!

Ordered mine with my new wire set. Well see if mine goes south because of the Turbo?

"They have a reputation of being bullet proof around here"

At first glance you would not expect a 22long rifle capable of penetrating any thing bullet prof like a vest but they do? Nothing is truly bullet prof!

Last edited by NitroPT; 21 Aug 2012 at 08:22 pm.
Old 21 Aug 2012, 08:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The coils are simple transformers. They work or don't. If exposed to environmental conditions or harsh chemicals the terminal ends may corrode but the main body will still function but with a higher resistance that may be interpreted with higher voltage requirements or loads as an ignition misfire?

As far as OEM vs. aftermarket specifically MSD, well we all have strong opinions on that one!

Ordered mine with my new wire set. Well see if mine goes south because of the Turbo?

"They have a reputation of being bullet proof around here"

At first glance you would not expect a 22long rifle capable of penetrating any thing bullet prof like a vest but they do? Nothing is truly bullet prof!
Was it you that posted about a spike causing a glitch in the idle on here some where?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Aug 2012, 09:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Was it you that posted about a spike causing a glitch in the idle on here some where?
That was me Busted. I'm still chasing it. I was sure it would be a small vacuum leak or possibly a bad plug, but so far no luck. It's why I asked the coil question, it's about the only thing left. It just isn't something I've seen before and I don't like to throw parts at a car. I want to find the problem and fix the problem. I'm probably chasing a ghost!

Old 21 Aug 2012, 09:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, that must be what I remembered. In the old days the sprayed the suspect electrical part with freeze spray to diagnose heat related issues.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Aug 2012, 11:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Somewhere here in the tech perf library is the info on the stock coil and what it's impedance is supposed to be. I don't know if the NA has the same coil as the GT, but I do know the GT coils hold up better than the MSD's. The problem on the GT is the heat that's coiled up around the top of the engine from the turbo. The MSD coils just can't take the heat and tend to break down over time. There are metal heat shields you can buy for the MSD coils, but to me that's a total waste of both time and money.

As to a rough idle - have you done all the measurements?

Pull you plugs, make sure they are all gapped perfectly, then measure the resistance through them to insure they are very close to the same. Pull your plug cables, feel them along their length for real stiff sections - these are caused by heat degradation and tend to increase impedance. Measure the resistance of each and make sure they are also close to each other. If they are not, or the plugs are not, you need to replace them with a set that is closely matched. With the impedance off, you get longer spark times to a specific cylinder. Let me give you an example: my PT had a really rough idle after driving back from Florida. Pulled the plugs and found one that was fouled. Cleaned it out and regapped them all, then on the fouled plug I sprayed a shot of WD-40 into the opening when I pulled the plug. Now you have to be careful about that - WD-40 is SERIOUSLY combustible, so make sure before you run the engine you put everything back together. After that big bang when I started the engine, my idle was still off a bit. Pulled the plug wires, I had the Crane Firewires, and I'll be damned if all four weren't totally all over the map. Replaced them with Vision Motorworks wires and voila... the idle issue was gone.

If none of this works, then you want to run a can of Seafoam through your gas tank. Personally, I wait until I'm down to half a tank, then I go run up and down the highway like a maniac, get it all heated up so that it runs through the system and cleans up the injectors.

If that still hasn't solved the problem, then I suggest you do a compression test. If that goes the wrong way, well, bigger problems than just a rough idle.