Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tranny Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2012, 11:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tranny Problems

OK I have a 2001 PT Cruiser Limited with 236,000 miles on it. A couple of weeks ago I had the PT Cruiser show the check engine light. Codes were P0700 and P0605. The P0700 is a generic transmission code and the P0605 is a TCM Internal Control Module Failure. I dropped the tranny pan changed the fluid and filter along with the input and output speed sensors. Since I have owned this car for 1 1/2 yrs and have not serviced the tranny I felt it was only beneficial but also most likely would not solve my problems. Then I took it to the closest dealership since it was stuck in limp mode and could only be driven at about 30mph. They verified that the TCM could not be re-flashed because of a internal ROM error and that the TCM needed to be replaced. They quoted $390 for the part (Not including labor) and 2 days to get it. I almost choked there! I brought the car home and visited eBay. I purchased a reman TCM that was 'Plug and Play' programed to the vin number and mileage of the PT. After waiting over a week to get the part, in the meantime my 5.9L Durango sucking any extra $ in my wallet! I got the new TCM, installed it. Perfect... No wait a min... Plug and Play? Why is my speedometer jumping up and down 0-20mph. The car seems to shift fine in the forward gears. Until you come to a stop sign. Then when you come to a complete stop the speedometer will jump to 20mph back down to 0 cluck into first gear and sometimes even do this a second time. After about a day of driving to and from work the car will throw a P0700 and a P0720. Once again the P0700 is just a generic code. P0720 is a Output speed sensor. Um OK, tare out the air cleaner, remove battery cables, remove battery tray, remove sensor, exchange part re install blah blah blah. Still same error with new sensor after about a day of driving.

OK I realize that the PT needs a Quick learn for the tranny, I can not perform a quick learn without the tranny going into limp mode because of the speed sensor. Now I also read in my PT Service manual that I downloaded that it needs a 'Pinion Factor' procedure. The Pinion Factor can only be done with a bi-directional scan tool! The company on eBay never mentioned this or bothered to ask what size tires were on the car!

WTF? Back to the dealer now? I thought this was supposed to be 'Plug and Play'. It makes sense, doesnt it? The pinion factor is throwing the speed sensor off? But the speedometer does read correctly and matches the MPH that my GPS shows. Um ya, speed sensor prob has noting to do with the reading of the speedometer, that would be the speedometer cable, correct?
Old 24 Aug 2012, 08:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tranny Problems

Call the company and ask them for some help. Maybe a bad tcm. Or some other issue.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Aug 2012, 10:49 am
Fanatic Cruiser

First off, the speedometer is electric. There's no cable. Secondly, I don't know who told you that P0700 is a generic code. P0700 is an internal fault in the TCM, and Chrysler says that TCM replacement is the only repair for that code.

Your TCM is bad if it's still throwing P0700.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 11:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Tim,

He might have got that from one of my answers because when searched, the P0700 is " P0700: Transmission Control System Malfunction", which when asked on PT Do-It-Yourself.Net, they say it's a Generic Transmission Malfunction code and further diagnostics need to be done with a scanner to find the exact problem.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 12:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Tranny Problems

A friend of mine had a Durango that needed a new TCM and bought one of those "Plug and play, pre-programmed to your VIN" units online. It didn't work so he sent it back and they replaced it and it and that one didn't work either. Customer service was absolutely terrible. After much back and forth, he finally returned it after a struggle to get his money back, He found a fairly local shop that was able to provide him with a working unit.

This is the one he had problems with:

http://www.autocomputerexchange.com/

Last edited by NightWing; 24 Aug 2012 at 12:27 pm.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 01:54 pm
Young Cruiser

I needed a new comp for my 2001, and I went on ebay. I did a BBB check on the 2 companies that are on there, they both seem to be in Florida, and one had a few hundred complaints, one had 7, so I went with the later, pluged it in and went and played with my PT, no problems for about a year now.

Saved about $ 600.00 (canadian dealer prices are stupidly expensive!!)

Before you order, do your homework.

FWIW..Rotty
Old 24 Aug 2012, 02:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Tim,

He might have got that from one of my answers because when searched, the P0700 is " P0700: Transmission Control System Malfunction", which when asked on PT Do-It-Yourself.Net, they say it's a Generic Transmission Malfunction code and further diagnostics need to be done with a scanner to find the exact problem.
Oh ok. That's incorrect, though. P0700 is an internal fault in the TCM and requires the TCM to be replaced. There are no other causes for this code.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 03:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
Oh ok. That's incorrect, though. P0700 is an internal fault in the TCM and requires the TCM to be replaced. There are no other causes for this code.
That's news to me. My understanding from reading about that code on a hundred different posts is that it is a very general trouble code that can be pulled up in the dash gauge cluster but then a scan tool must be used to get a more exact code to better pin-point the problem.

Here's a copy/paste from the Chrysler trouble code list......
"** NOTE : P0700 contains additional error codes that can only be retrieved by a dealer."
Old 24 Aug 2012, 05:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
That's news to me. My understanding from reading about that code on a hundred different posts is that it is a very general trouble code that can be pulled up in the dash gauge cluster but then a scan tool must be used to get a more exact code to better pin-point the problem.

Here's a copy/paste from the Chrysler trouble code list......
"** NOTE : P0700 contains additional error codes that can only be retrieved by a dealer."
It's possible that Chrysler expanded the code in later models for other diagnostics, but being the OP has a 2001, the only cause for this code is a bad TCM (provided there are no other causes, ie bad wiring). This is copied directly from Chrysler:

Symptom:
P0700-INTERNAL TCM

POSSIBLE CAUSES
TCM ERROR (P-0700)

TEST ACTION APPLICABILITY
1 If there are no possible causes remaining, replace the TCM.
View repair options.
All
Repair
Replace the TCM.
Perform 41TE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotty View Post
I needed a new comp for my 2001, and I went on ebay. I did a BBB check on the 2 companies that are on there, they both seem to be in Florida, and one had a few hundred complaints, one had 7, so I went with the later, pluged it in and went and played with my PT, no problems for about a year now.

Saved about $ 600.00 (canadian dealer prices are stupidly expensive!!)

Before you order, do your homework.

FWIW..Rotty

What company did you purchase from in Florida? The company that I purchased from was from Florida and the BBB record seemed pretty good.