Advertisements
Multiple Problems

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2012, 05:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Multiple Problems

Hi all,

I have an automatic 2003 Limited Edition and it appears to have grown to hate me. I've recently had the A/C fan replaced, radiator totally cleaned, and now my car has decided to start puffing out white smoke when I crank it. Not only after sitting overnight but also after only a couple of hours. I am beyond due an oil change, and it's not leaking or needing coolant so could it possibly just be needing different oil?

Also have many of you had trouble with getting electrical shorts in the day running light switch? It's killing my battery, and I've gotten to where I have to turn my left blinker on when I turn the car off to make sure the DR lights stay off. On top of all this my door locks like to "drumroll" like crazy every other day or so. I've read that it could be so many different things but I don't have a reliable mechanic that will check everything and not want to charge an arm & leg.

Hope this makes sense, I'm on my iPod and it's hard to read and type at the same time. Thanks!
Old 24 Aug 2012, 07:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Multiple Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJaeihx View Post
Hi all,

I have an automatic 2003 Limited Edition and it appears to have grown to hate me. I've recently had the A/C fan replaced, radiator totally cleaned, and now my car has decided to start puffing out white smoke when I crank it. Not only after sitting overnight but also after only a couple of hours. I am beyond due an oil change, and it's not leaking or needing coolant so could it possibly just be needing different oil?

Also have many of you had trouble with getting electrical shorts in the day running light switch? It's killing my battery, and I've gotten to where I have to turn my left blinker on when I turn the car off to make sure the DR lights stay off. On top of all this my door locks like to "drumroll" like crazy every other day or so. I've read that it could be so many different things but I don't have a reliable mechanic that will check everything and not want to charge an arm & leg.

Hope this makes sense, I'm on my iPod and it's hard to read and type at the same time. Thanks!
Well the multifunction switch that you are leaving in the turn setting Is the problem. There is a repair how to to fix the switch or you will need to replace it. Repair is said to last very well. The smoke could be pcv valve. A cheep maintenance item you can do yourself. Do some reading here as I remember this subject being discussed before. Hope this is a help.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 26 Aug 2012 at 12:12 pm.
Old 26 Aug 2012, 09:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

White smoke out the exhaust (which is what I assume you mean) can be anything from condensation in the exhaust due to only taking small trips and not letting the system come to full heat and burn off normal condensation, all the way to a leaky head gasket.

I'd bet it is nothing more than condensation. Let it sit to the point it has the problem and have a helper start the engine and inspect the exhaust tip- as this is done -- it will probably run a little water out and use a gloved hand to wipe some and smell it -- if it smells sweet like antifreeze, then it isn't good. If it just smells like nothing or exhaust, then it is just condensation.

Also, monitor the coolant level, and if it is never going down and never needing topping off, then you really don't need to worry.

Condensation is usually just a little bit of greyish smoke -- if it is very white or a lot it is almost always coolant from a head gasket. Black/blue is oil.
Old 26 Aug 2012, 10:54 am
Senior Cruiser

The door locks cycling on and off rapidly like your's is a sign of a low, possibly failing battery. Worst case with the puff of white smoke is worn valve guides which allow oil to drip down the valve stems into the combustion chambers when the car is parked for a while. Over time this can add up to a loss that you can see on the dip stick. Moisture condensation is certainly a possibility as was mentioned, especially in conditions with high humidity. That would be normal and nothing to worry about unless it has an obvious odor of fuel or oil.
Old 26 Aug 2012, 11:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It is always so hard to help when we are lacking some information?
Try going to your users info and filling it out. You are a new member so Welcome to the forum.
What country do you live in? This will help with some responses knowing if you are in a dry or wet country or state.
The smoke needs to be qialified a bit more. The true color is it white or grayish white and does it linger or dissipate quickly?
The battery needs to be fully charged and load tested. Look at the date code and determine its age. That would be a small sticker usually on the side of the battery with a letter and number.
When you say the radiator was "totally" cleaned what does this mean? Was the radiator removed and cleaned or cleaned in the PT? If it was cleaned in the PT it may have compromised a engine sealing gasket which may be be leaking coolant into the combustion chambers causing the whitish smoke? But this goes back to us needing more information? If this is the case then attention should be prioritized to get this problem diagnosis by a Trained Auto technician before it worsens.

Ok so lets try giving us all more usefulk detailed information so we can narrow down the suggestions to resolve your concerns with your PT.

Danny I know now why you have such a high post count.......
Busted_PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 Aug 2012, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
It is always so hard to help when we are lacking some information?
Try going to your users info and filling it out. You are a new member so Welcome to the forum.
What country do you live in? This will help with some responses knowing if you are in a dry or wet country or state.
The smoke needs to be qialified a bit more. The true color is it white or grayish white and does it linger or dissipate quickly?
The battery needs to be fully charged and load tested. Look at the date code and determine its age. That would be a small sticker usually on the side of the battery with a letter and number.
When you say the radiator was "totally" cleaned what does this mean? Was the radiator removed and cleaned or cleaned in the PT? If it was cleaned in the PT it may have compromised a engine sealing gasket which may be be leaking coolant into the combustion chambers causing the whitish smoke? But this goes back to us needing more information? If this is the case then attention should be prioritized to get this problem diagnosis by a Trained Auto technician before it worsens.

Ok so lets try giving us all more usefulk detailed information so we can narrow down the suggestions to resolve your concerns with your PT.

Danny I know now why you have such a high post count.......
My fingers talk too much?
NitroPT likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Sep 2012, 12:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Well the multifunction switch that you are leaving in the turn setting Is the problem. There is a repair how to to fix the switch or you will need to replace it. Repair is said to last very well. The smoke could be pcv valve. A cheep maintenance item you can do yourself. Do some reading here as I remember this subject being discussed before. Hope this is a help.
Sorry for the late replies. I had to wait until I could get on my laptop, it's hard to read anything & reply at the same time on my phone.

Thanks for the info, I found out after asking that I will have to have the switch replaced. There is a short in it, and the only ways I can turn my day running/fog lights off is to either turn the left turn signal on or by pressing the end in firmly. But I am concerned since I don't think this is what has been occasionally draining my battery. Sunday, my battery was so dead it wouldn't do anything. I made sure my lights are off, and it was still stone dead. I've had this happen a few times before, but could never figure out what caused it.
Old 04 Sep 2012, 12:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarlisle View Post
White smoke out the exhaust (which is what I assume you mean) can be anything from condensation in the exhaust due to only taking small trips and not letting the system come to full heat and burn off normal condensation, all the way to a leaky head gasket.

I'd bet it is nothing more than condensation. Let it sit to the point it has the problem and have a helper start the engine and inspect the exhaust tip- as this is done -- it will probably run a little water out and use a gloved hand to wipe some and smell it -- if it smells sweet like antifreeze, then it isn't good. If it just smells like nothing or exhaust, then it is just condensation.

Also, monitor the coolant level, and if it is never going down and never needing topping off, then you really don't need to worry.

Condensation is usually just a little bit of greyish smoke -- if it is very white or a lot it is almost always coolant from a head gasket. Black/blue is oil.
I guess it's obvious that I know very little about cars. lol I'll start from the beginning with this. Admittedly, I did something incredibly stupid. I let my oil change go for more miles than I care to admit to. I kept oil in it, but it really needed to be changed. It began running ragged, and I noticed the white smoke. It only happened occasionally, sometimes twice in one day after the car set for an hour or so. I wouldn't say it's a lot of smoke, it's faintly colored, but it's enough to notice it puffing up from the back of my car.

Since I've had my oil change, the ragged sound is somewhat still there and there is a minor squeaking like a belt is loose, I haven't noticed the smoke as much but now once in awhile when I crank the car up the oil light will stay on. I turn it off and back on and it goes off.

I guess I can get my head gaskets checked again. When I had my radiator flushed and my thermostat replaced the mechanic checked them and said they were fine. It hasn't been running hot, and I always stay on top of the coolant levels, it doesn't go down.

Concerning smells, I can check again but when I've been behind the car it smelled like typical exhaust. But inside the car, once in awhile I get a mild whiff of either something chemical possibly coolant-like or very lightly like something burnt - but couldn't that be from things being spilled on the motor?

Sorry for the rattle brained questions. I don't exactly have a reliable mechanic here.
Old 04 Sep 2012, 01:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
The door locks cycling on and off rapidly like your's is a sign of a low, possibly failing battery. Worst case with the puff of white smoke is worn valve guides which allow oil to drip down the valve stems into the combustion chambers when the car is parked for a while. Over time this can add up to a loss that you can see on the dip stick. Moisture condensation is certainly a possibility as was mentioned, especially in conditions with high humidity. That would be normal and nothing to worry about unless it has an obvious odor of fuel or oil.
I've had the battery and cables checked more than once, and they're fine. What's strange is that it doesn't happen every day, it only occurs a couple days out of the week. lol

I'm in GA so humidity is a major issue. I recently had my air conditioning fixed, would it have anything to do with it? Besides the lack of an oil change, that is the only thing that has changed since I've began noticing the smoke. I never notice a loss of oil or coolant, and I check them pretty regularly.
Old 04 Sep 2012, 01:01 am
Senior Cruiser

change the switch :-D

White smoke.....condensation, or burning coolant.

Blue smoke, burning oil.