Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough Idle/miss, getting frustrated...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2012, 03:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rough Idle/miss, getting frustrated...

Hello to all, new poster here.

I have a 2005 PT base model 5 spd. A/C stopped working when not moving, and idle was rough and it sounded like it had a miss. Thanks to advice on this board given to others, I replaced the radiator cooling fan and the lps. Now the a/c works great, but car still idles rough and will stall randomly (at a stop or in first gear, not at speeds above that).

Error codes were P0300, 0301, and 0304 originally. Again, based on advice here, changed spark plugs (gapped at 0.04) and wires. Still runs rough and stalls. The only error code now is 0304. I can take the ignition lead off the coil pack for number 4 and the engine does not change how it runs - no change whatsoever in any way good or bad. (If I take the leads off the other cyls one at a time it makes obvious changes to how the engine is running).

So, it is basically running on three cyl, and the number 4 cyl is dead. Could the coil pack be weak just on cyl 4? If the timing was off could that affect a single cyl? I had the timing belt replaced at 90k, and it ran better than it does now after it was replaced and was perfectly acceptable for a time, but I don't think the car ever ran as well after the replacement as it did before it was changed.

This car has 127,000 miles. Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks

Last edited by ptblue2005; 25 Aug 2012 at 03:56 pm. Reason: Inclue more info
Old 25 Aug 2012, 04:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Rough Idle/miss, getting frustrated...

you say you changed spark plugs. how about the wires? sounds to me like maybe the wire going to number 4 is toast. swap the number 4 wire with one of the others to see if that's the problem. might be just that simple.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, just this afternoon I changed the plugs and the wires.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 04:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptblue2005 View Post

I have a 2005 PT base model 5 spd. A/C stopped working when not moving, and idle was rough and it sounded like it had a miss. Thanks to advice on this board given to others, I replaced the radiator cooling fan and the lps. Now the a/c works great, but car still idles rough and will stall randomly (at a stop or in first gear, not at speeds above that).

Error codes were P0300, 0301, and 0304 originally. Again, based on advice here, changed spark plugs (gapped at 0.04) and wires. Still runs rough and stalls. The only error code now is 0304. I can take the ignition lead off the coil pack for number 4 and the engine does not change how it runs - no change whatsoever in any way good or bad. (If I take the leads off the other cyls one at a time it makes obvious changes to how the engine is running).

So, it is basically running on three cyl, and the number 4 cyl is dead. Could the coil pack be weak just on cyl 4? If the timing was off could that affect a single cyl? I had the timing belt replaced at 90k, and it ran better than it does now after it was replaced and was perfectly acceptable for a time, but I don't think the car ever ran as well after the replacement as it did before it was changed.

Thanks
Refur to next post

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 25 Aug 2012 at 05:07 pm.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 05:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Thanks
Could have a bad injector or a dead cylinder. Run a compression test. What did the plugs look like for that cylinder? Also the timeing belt is off from the change but not the cause. Switch the #4 injector to #one To see if problem moves. If not then injectors OK. Then proceed with compression test.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Aug 2012, 05:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

compression is good, plug looked ok but changed anyway. current plug/wire is getting spark but not getting to cyl for some reason. I am switching fuel injector now from #4 cyl to #1 to see if problem moves...
Old 25 Aug 2012, 05:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Yes, just this afternoon I changed the plugs and the wires.
The #4 wire could still be bad. It could have a broken core or one of the crimped on ends inside the rubber boot could not be making a good connection. It takes only a minute to take it off and put in one of the old wires and see if there's a change. If that doesn't do it, then check the new plug(s).

If you don't have an old wire handy then switch the #4 and #1 to see if the missfire moves with the wire. Easy test.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 05:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, spark plug and wire definitely good, compression good, switched fuel injectors around and misfire stayed on cyl 4. It is totally running just on 3 cyl. Help! Are there fuel sensors or anything else I should be looking at? What could possibly be affecting just the #4 cyl?
Old 25 Aug 2012, 05:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Ok, spark plug and wire definitely good, compression good, switched fuel injectors around and misfire stayed on cyl 4. It is totally running just on 3 cyl. Help! Are there fuel sensors or anything else I should be looking at? What could possibly be affecting just the #4 cyl?
What did you do to determine the the wire and plug were good.? What was the compression readings?

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Aug 2012, 08:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Checked the spark through the spark plug, as well as switched them around to see if the miss moved or if a different wire or plug helped cyl #4. I'm going to recheck the compression tomorrow with a different gauge and will post results then. Thanks for everyone's efforts so far to help!