PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Shuddering upon acceleration +code P0340

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2012, 07:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Shuddering upon acceleration +code P0340

Hi everyone, here's the story:
I own an 04 PT cruiser Touring Edition, 4 cylinder, about 100k miles on it. Automatic.

A few weeks back, I started my car and pulled out of a parking spot, and the check engine light came on. I pulled back in and turned the car off, then tried to turn the car back on again (to see if the light went off.) The car made noises (so i knew the battery wasn't dead) but it wouldn't catch. After i pumped the gas a few times, it did start up, but it ran a bit rough at first.

On that occasion, as i was driving back to my house, i had more issues. When i accelerated from a stop at a light, the car shuddered and sounded/felt as if it was going to stall out. After a few seconds it ran more normally. This happened about 5 times or so out of the 8 or 9 stoplights i hit. From what i could tell, the shuddering did not happen at any particular RPM, or during shifting.

I took it to a mechanic i trust, and they said the error code was Camshaft error P0340. They also told me that I should replace the Engine timing belt since I hadn't done that in 100k miles (and i went ahead and did the water pump too.) They also told me that there was oil in my spark plugs, which is a problem that had happened a year ago, and I had had fixed at a local Goodyear. I took it back to goodyear, and they told me they replaced the plugs, wire, and whole valve cover gasket thing.

About 4 days after i had it back, with very light driving (maybe an hour or so of driving time) the check engine light came on again, with the same error code. There was on incident of the shuddering, but it was not nearly as bad as the first time.

This time, the mechanic told me it was a cracked magnet in the camshaft, and they replaced it. Now, another 4 or 5 days later, my check engine light came on again, and the shudder happened once more.

I need to take it back there, but i really can't afford to drop another thousand into a fix that doesn't work...

Please help? Sadly, i know very little about cars and only have a basic toolkit. I'm mostly hoping someone can tell me something that I can tell the mechanics, who may not be the most experienced with PTs.

as a side note, for months now my car has been running rough at long red lights, shaking a little but then working fine after i start moving. The AC also cuts off when the rough running happens. A family friend said this was caused by a dirty fuel filter, and advised me to keep the gas tank fuller and put something called Seafoam in my gas tank to help clean it out. This helped, and the car isn't running as rough at lights.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 07:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Shuddering upon acceleration +code P0340

Did they use oem sensor? word around here is the aftermarket is problematic even new. Also the crank sensor could be involved.

Check your fan to make sure it's running on both speeds, for the rough idle.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 25 Aug 2012 at 07:31 pm.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 07:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm sorry, i feel like an idiot that knows nothing about cars... is the oem sensor just the thing that senses the problem and makes the error code?

If that's what it is, they did not replace the sensor with anything, so as far as i know it's still the original part.

I was just reading another thread, that said the fan might be causing the issue and i'll have them check it out.
Would that cause the shuddering while driving though? Because to me that's the more serious part. Also, do you think the error code could be related to a fan issue?
Old 25 Aug 2012, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooftra View Post
I'm sorry, i feel like an idiot that knows nothing about cars... is the oem sensor just the thing that senses the problem and makes the error code?

If that's what it is, they did not replace the sensor with anything, so as far as i know it's still the original part.

I was just reading another thread, that said the fan might be causing the issue and i'll have them check it out.
Would that cause the shuddering while driving though? Because to me that's the more serious part. Also, do you think the error code could be related to a fan issue?
The code 340 is being caused by the cam sensor. They changed the magnet but need to change the sensor to. You yourself can change this sensor. Two bolts and and a connector and easy access. The fan is still another issue, but one thing at a time.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Aug 2012, 08:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooftra View Post
I'm sorry, i feel like an idiot that knows nothing about cars...
Don't be sorry or feel like an idiot.
Quote:
is the oem sensor just the thing that senses the problem and makes the error code?
OEM simply refers to Original Equipment from Manufacturer.

So what he was asking, is the magnet that you had replaced a Chrysler Original Part or another brand, such as, NAPA. When/if you replace the sensor, it is suggested that you only use OEM parts.

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 08:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenneK View Post
Don't be sorry or feel like an idiot. OEM simply refers to Original Equipment from Manufacturer.

So what he was asking, is the magnet that you had replaced a Chrysler Original Part or another brand, such as, NAPA. When/if you replace the sensor, it is suggested that you only use OEM parts.
It seems that the magnet was changed but not the sensor. To my understanding. Wasn't concerned about the magnet just the sensor. If still getting the code it needs to be changed. As JennyK said no reason to be sorry. Gotta learn some time. I'm all for someone learning to to repairs to there cars the correct way. I say go for it!

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Aug 2012, 02:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, i just took it back to the mechanic. (the good one.)

I asked about the sensor, and they told me they ran tests on it twice before, and it passed with flying colors.

The mechanic said that now they would have to check the wiring in the system. Can anyone tell me what this entails and what i might have to pay to fix it if it is broken?

Also, i asked them to check the radiator fan since it seems like that might be causing the AC problems at lights.

Thanks
Old 27 Aug 2012, 06:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Goodyear may have replaced your valve cover gasket--but they also needed to replace your four spark-plug well seals. Those seals keep the oil out of the spark-plug well--not the valve cover gasket.

Also, I'd get an OEM Chrysler Camshaftshaft Position Sensor and an OEM Chrysler CMP tatget magnet. They have YouTube videos showing how to replace these items. It's very easy.

Also, it sounds like your fan is shot on low or high speed--or both.

Tim
Old 27 Aug 2012, 07:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The seals were also replaced, i know that for sure.

Tags
camshaft, error code, p0340