PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Added a small amount of the wrong tranny fluid.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2012, 09:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Added a small amount of the wrong tranny fluid.

Hi, I have a 2007 PT Cruiser and noticed the tranny fluid was a little low(I know I should get it checked for a leak I've just been putting it off).
I had my friend pick up some fluid for the me the other day and was very specific about what type, which I even wrote down. Me, being the absent minded dolt that I am started adding it without even giving it much of a glance. I got about a third of a quart when I noticed it was Type F ATF.
Can I expect any adverse effects from this?
Thanks, Jim.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 09:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Added a small amount of the wrong tranny fluid.

Depends who you ask. Might be a good time to get it serviced and that leak fixed?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Aug 2012, 10:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Depends who you ask. Might be a good time to get it serviced and that leak fixed?
Sure, but I don't need to flush the transmission?
Old 25 Aug 2012, 10:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimf View Post
Sure, but I don't need to flush the transmission?
If you didn't add more than a half a quart I wouldn't worry about it. But there will be though's who will have a cow.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Aug 2012, 07:05 am
Senior Cruiser

I agree with Busted I wouldn't worry about that small amount of the wrong type of ATF...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 26 Aug 2012, 07:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

i added less than one quart of type F to my lincoln mark 8 and after a couple blocks the trans started slipping very bad and the car never ran again.

Automatic Type F - it ruined the nicest car i ever owned. i bought generic stuff at the hardware store i thought they just spelled it out. learned the hard way. DON"T BE ME.

this was with less than a quart on a trans that's bigger and stronger than yours. if i were you i would drain it and flush it and then refill it and punch your friend in the throat

Last edited by rob342; 26 Aug 2012 at 07:19 am.
Old 26 Aug 2012, 07:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i added less than one quart of type F to my lincoln mark 8 and after a couple blocks the trans started slipping very bad and the car never ran again.

Automatic Type F - it ruined the nicest car i ever owned. i bought generic stuff at the hardware store i thought they just spelled it out. learned the hard way. DON"T BE ME.

this was with less than a quart on a trans that's bigger and stronger than yours. if i were you i would drain it and flush it and then refill it and punch your friend in the throat
The only way these will happen is you already have issues any way. If your adding fluid you have a problem, that left unresolved will cause the very problem described here. If your fluid is continually getting low, you are putting ware on the weakest clutch pack. Eventually you will add fluid and it will slip. But not from the fluid you added but from the ware from all the previous times you were low on fluid. The small amount you added won't change the chemical make up enough to do any thing even if you left it in. But with a leak your eventually will shorten the life. Then you will be writing here or some place saying how the wrong fluid ruined the best car you ever had. Don't be that guy! Fix the leak and change the filter and fluid. It is probably time for that anyway.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Aug 2012, 08:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

According to valvoline's site and FAQs, the only source I could find quickly on fluid differences, Type F is a non-friction modified formula, whereas ATF+4 (and also Dexron/Mercon) are friction modified.

Friction modification is done to aid the clutches -- friction modifiers reduce the surface friction (make it less slippery). Transmissions designed to have the tranny fluid less "slippery" need the friction in the fluid, else the clutches do not have the friction required to hold them as tight as they should be, and over time will start to slip, and once slippage happens (actually a little before you notice it through drivability) that accelerates wear on the clutches.

That being said, adding just a little type F is better than running without the correct amount of fluid. For a short period of time, no problem. I'd simply change the fluid and filter as soon as you can.

Should be no need to flush since the problem is that fluid doesn't have the friction modifiers you need -- if it were the converse I'd flush.

Of course, while you are servicing find the leak and fix it. No one ever checks tranny fluid as they should, so the first time you find out it is low is when it is already slipping or slow to go in gear, etc. and damage has already happened at that point. And if you know it doesn't leak you don't really need to check or worry about the fluid too much and checking every 6 months is fine.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 26 Aug 2012, 10:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OMG I having a "COW"

The dilution factor is insignificant to cause any harm to the transmission. The natural response is to change out the fluid. The reality is even if you did there will still be some Type F fluid remaining. There is no reasonable way to completely change out and replace all the fluid while the transmission is still assembled. You could connect a fluid pump and cycle the proper ATF through the transmission, but this would take at least twice as much fluid as the transmission holds and even then it may not completely remove and replace all the transmission fluid? If anyone has ever looked at a cross section of a torque converter and the valve body you would understand what I am talking about referencing anything using the words "flush" and "completely" with an assembled transmission.

NOT exactly PT specific but will suffice for the purpose of generalized information.
Basic Torque converters:

Basic picture of a valve body:

On my personal PT I run an additional transmission fluid cooler and a temperature controlled fluid pump. So changing out the fluid on my PT is much more easier and more thorough.
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 26 Aug 2012 at 10:07 am.
Old 26 Aug 2012, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

[QUOTE=NitroPT;444771]OMG I having a "COW"

See, I told you someone would!

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com