PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Please help! my pt is lurching when I brake!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2012, 11:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to PTeen
Angry Please help! my pt is lurching when I brake!

Hey guys I need some help! I have an 02 PT Cruiser Limited and it had a vibration problem. I eventually was told that my lower torque strut was busted. so I replaced it. after that it started doing this thing where when I go to stop, right before my car stops moving, my car jerks. So I went back then they told me the upper torque strut was broken too, so I had that replaced too, it made it a little better but it was still there so i took it back again and they told me that theres an ajustment process to be made and printed me the instructions on how to do it, so I did that, and that made it worse again. It feels like the transmission is downshifting really hard right before I stop but I dont know why it would only start doing that after i had the torque struts replaced. and we also tried putting some kind of transmission lubricant we bought in it and it didnt seem to help. the tranny was rebuilt 20,000 miles ago and never gave me a problem until last week. sorry this was so long i just didnt want to leave anything important out. PLEASE HELP!

EDIT: Also I have to mention it does not do it every time and it is completly unpredictible, i tried finding patterns but there arent really any. it probably happens every third or fourth stop

Last edited by PTeen; 26 Aug 2012 at 11:39 am. Reason: left out some information by accident
Old 26 Aug 2012, 12:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Please help! my pt is lurching when I brake!

You seem to be replacing everything on the forward suspension and chassis portions?
I might recommend going to a different shop because the problem should have been diagnosis and covered with your first or at least second visit to them.

Your descriptions are a bit confusing but it almost sounds as a servo was sticking or pump problem in the transmission. But if you do not have an automatic then this would not be supportive guess.

Last edited by NitroPT; 26 Aug 2012 at 12:10 pm.
Old 26 Aug 2012, 12:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

They replaced them they should have performed the adjustment. Look here in the tech section and check to see if it's the same and do it again. Also check and see if the rear bushing on the front control arms are good. Could be floping around. Also find you a better shop.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Aug 2012, 03:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

I don't know but want to learn.

I did some looking in my book, and then did a google search for "brake chatter" and found this:

Quote:
A pulsating brake pedal, which may be accompanied by a shuddering or jerky stop during normal braking, usually means a warped rotor or an out-of-round drum -- although it can sometimes be caused by loose wheel bearings, a bent axle shaft or loose brake parts....
Article contains much more to read.

From here: I feel a pulsation or vibration in my brake pedal... — Yahoo! Autos

I'm sure the experts will be along and provide information, while I continue to follow the post and learn something.

Last edited by CruiserLady; 26 Aug 2012 at 04:02 pm.
Old 26 Aug 2012, 04:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cruis erLady Nice input! Really good information.
**see above website info.

What some of us most constantly do is try to interpret what is really going on by how it is explained and then usually followed by another hundred questions. In this case the "lurching" and "right before my car stops moving, **my car jerks" and also " **it does not do it every time and it is completely unpredictable" gives clue to at least myself that it translates to a transmission related issue rather then **brake. But this may prove incorrect as we slowly acquire more information from the OP.

Internet diagnosis is never easy even for experienced enthusiasts or even auto technicians and at times takes longer for someone to solve there problems because of over help in suggestions? Which all goes back to not giving enough information at the beginning intro thread?
Here is another example we naturally assumed the OP has automatic transmission. Nowhere did he mention it but in the description of the problem he says "the transmission is downshifting really hard right before I stop". This implies either very bad manual shifts habits or the natural function of an Automatic transmission.

Last edited by NitroPT; 26 Aug 2012 at 04:51 pm. Reason: because I did and often do
Old 26 Aug 2012, 07:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm wondering why the jerks that put in your torque struts didn't do the 4.70 inch adjustment when they installed the struts. They gave you instructions? That's it? Don't let them do your brakes.

Get a very trustworthy assistant and see what happens when your car is in gear and you rev is "just slightly"--with the brake fully on--then put it in reverse and back into drive. How much does the engine rock?

What torque did these guys use when installing the struts? Was it a good 80 pounds? The struts may have moved; but you can check by checking the adjustment at the upper torque strut again. Is it still at 4.70 inches (0r 118 mm, if you prefer)?

Tim
Old 27 Aug 2012, 04:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Guys,

My 02 Cruiser does this also, I have just been informed by the guys who fitted new tyres that one of my front wheels is bent , which I'm guessing is why its lurching and vibrating when braking. Its worth having your wheels checked out .
Old 27 Aug 2012, 08:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bildam View Post
Hi Guys,

My 02 Cruiser does this also, I have just been informed by the guys who fitted new tyres that one of my front wheels is bent , which I'm guessing is why its lurching and vibrating when braking. Its worth having your wheels checked out .

Not a bad thought but a bent rim would be something that would be apparent every time the OP stopped, however as in his own words....
"it does not do it every time and it is completely unpredictable"

Tim aka mdfrodolives I am with you on the (jerks) "Don't let them do your brakes."or anything else on OP's PT?

The pre-load test you suggest with the transmission may harm an already dying torque converter by forcing it to balloon internally?
Old 27 Aug 2012, 09:48 am
Senior Cruiser

Do the "key dance" and see if there is a p0700 trouble code displayed in the dash odo window.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 07:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to PTeen

thanks guys for your responses! i am now pretty sure its something with the transmission, but i guess my question is why did it only start doing this when i fixed the motor mounts? also the tranny was just rebuilt 20,000 miles ago

Tags
brakes, jerking, torque strut, transmission