Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What's behind the cover??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2012, 10:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default What's behind the cover??

Does anyone have a pic or a link to a technical site with a schematic of our transmission and differential? I'm having an issue with the transmission and/or the differential and would love to know what I'm supposed to be seeing when I crack it open. The side cover I am most interested in seeing behind is the cover on the driver's side of the car above the trans pan in front of the half shaft behind the driver's wheel circled below in red.
Thanks,
Tony
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 26 Aug 2012, 11:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: What's behind the cover??

If you pop off that cover, you'll see 2 big gears and the ends of 2 shafts in the middle of each gear. The upper one is called the "output shaft gear" and the lower one is called the "transfer shaft gear", according to my manual.

Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog PT Cruiser
Old 27 Aug 2012, 05:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Is this something that can be repaired or replaced independently of the rest of the transmission? I seem to be having an issue with what I thought was a blown trans but the problem is coming from behind that cover.
I guess I'll have to remove it and see what's what.
Thanks for the info,
Tony
Old 27 Aug 2012, 09:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

post some pics when you remove it but id say the gears are either pressed or pined and youd have to take the tranny apart to get to them
Old 27 Aug 2012, 09:51 am
Senior Cruiser

What exactly is the issue ? Mine had rotted, so it was just a matter of replacing it... Doesnt sound that simple in your case though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrewChief View Post
Is this something that can be repaired or replaced independently of the rest of the transmission? I seem to be having an issue with what I thought was a blown trans but the problem is coming from behind that cover.
Thanks for the info,
Tony
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Here is what it's doing. No movement whatsoever. No park. However, when selecting different gears the tach seems to be conveying that the trans is engaging. When I step on the gas in a gear the speedo reacts properly (although no gear change can be felt or seen in tach). When going back to park position I hear and feel a grinding noise comng from directly behind that cover....Am I screwed or what??
Old 27 Aug 2012, 01:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

There's just transfer gears behind it-
Not really parts that fail.
I *THINK* any transfer gears will work (as long as they're set before install) back into the 80's will work-

I'd guess you broke stub of axle, or differential spider gears broke and somehow didn't exit case

Other than this knowledge (and this is dubious) I don't know anything about the ATX-

There's tons of stuff in FSM- and on web so you can be intimate will all it's operations.
Contact Chromenut for a 'lead' on FSM or search 'pt cruiser FSM download' PDFtown was a good source-
I'd send it to you via e-mail but it a large file
Old 28 Aug 2012, 03:22 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrewChief View Post
Thanks for the info,
Tony
You can take the cover off and take a look see. It's only sealed with RTV and won't affect any delicate components. Maybe you'll be able to see if a gear tooth is broken or something.

Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog PT Cruiser
Old 28 Aug 2012, 05:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Let me understand this correctly, "No movement whatsoever. No park." That mean the car can roll unless the park brake is on? "However, when selecting different gears the tach seems to be conveying that the trans is engaging." Are you saying when you put it in gear and rev the engine the speedo does go up in MPH? "When I step on the gas in a gear the speedo reacts properly (although no gear change can be felt or seen in tach). When going back to park position I hear and feel a grinding noise comng from directly behind that cover." That would make sense because the trans output is still spinning thru the diff and the park pawl is trying to engage but the input hub is still rotating within the trans. Sounds to me a halfshaft has snapped. You get no park because one wheel is able to freewheel and not locked thru the trans diff and finally the park pawl. Doubtful anything wrong behind the transfer gear cover. Never seen any problem in that area with gears or roller bearings.