HELP 06 PT Cruiser not starting

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By heifetz17
  • 1 Post By mdfrodolives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2012, 09:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default HELP 06 PT Cruiser not starting

This may be difficult to explain. I'm in NJ and my son is in Kissimmee, FL. He has 06 PT Cruiser. Recently had water pump and timing belt replaced, about 1 month ago and just put in a new battery, about 1 wk ago. The other night he went to leave work and the car wouldn't start. All electrical systems work. When he turns the key there isn't even a clicking noise or anything and if lights are on, they don't dim. Trying to get some answers/ideas for him so he doesn't get ripped off. He doesn't currently have internet access, so I'm working on his behalf to find so possible answers. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 10:42 am
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: HELP 06 PT Cruiser not starting

Neutral start switch is a good place to look. Shake the gear lever. I would also check the connections on that new battery.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 10:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: HELP 06 PT Cruiser not starting

Thanks for the quick reply. I know his next question will be where's the Neutral Start Switch?
Old 27 Aug 2012, 11:22 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcruiser View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I know his next question will be where's the Neutral Start Switch?
Inside the transmission on top of the valve body. That's not a good place to start unless he wants to take his transmission apart.

I would start by checking battery voltage and making sure the starter is getting voltage when turning the key.
mityqwik likes this.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 06:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

I had a battery that was bad--but the lights still shone nice and bright. Still, there was not enough power to get so much as a "Click, click" out of the starter. Weird, right?

Anyway, I got a new battery and cleaned up the battery clamps really well, and checked under the battery terminal insulation a little to see if any corrosion had come along (and that part was okay). So I clamped the battery clamps on, sprayed some CRC Battery Protector on the posts and clamps to keep out that nasty corrosion, and ...

... I started her up and all was good.

Even if the new battery is "new" have it checked again, in case you got a dud.

Tim
mityqwik likes this.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 07:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Talked to my son today. He had the car towed to a local shop and they ran diagnostic. Said it was the ignition. Their price to repair is $628. Seems a bit high to me. He's in Orlando and this quoted price supposedly is discounted due to his being a Disney employee. I saw one online auto parts place had the ignition for $45-$50, is it really that difficult and involved to replace that would result in such a high price for a mechanic to replace a $45 part?
Old 28 Aug 2012, 07:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcruiser View Post
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Talked to my son today. He had the car towed to a local shop and they ran diagnostic. Said it was the ignition. Their price to repair is $628. Seems a bit high to me. He's in Orlando and this quoted price supposedly is discounted due to his being a Disney employee. I saw one online auto parts place had the ignition for $45-$50, is it really that difficult and involved to replace that would result in such a high price for a mechanic to replace a $45 part?
That's a lot like the buddy buddy price or the closer kin the deeper in price.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com