Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2012, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0303 (Misfire in Cylinder 3) and Performance Upgrades

Hey all,

New to the forum. Have an 05 NA PT w/120000 kms, showing OEM code P0303 (misfire in cylinder 3).

Here's what we (my Dad and I) have done:
-changed camshaft sensor
-replaced spark plugs (iridium), spark plug wires
-ran Mopar combustion cleaner through the throttle body (not the gas tank additive)
-have done compression test indicating low compression (can find the exact numbers; just don't have them at the moment)
-also swapped the fuel injectors and no change observed

Engine light came on almost immediately after having some autobody work done on the driver's side fender and door (backed into in a parking lot a month after purchasing the car, woohoo...). On a side note, I don't recommend taking anything to Herber's autobody if there's one in your city as we think they may have influenced the issue.

Here's a few additional things:
-coolant isn't leaking
-power has gone down quite noticeably in the engine and it has a rough idle

So we're going to pull the head off and see about replacing the head gasket or fixing the issue with the valve. Timing belt also needs to be changed at the same time.

Here's what I'm wondering:
a) has anyone encountered this situation in the past? Is there any advice you have for how to deal with it, tools to have, highest quality replacement parts and place to purchase?
b) we are also wanting to increase the performance of the vehicle since we'll have the engine apart in any case. I'd seen recommendations about using a different intake (K&N or something?), and I'm also wondering if there are any performance chips out there or other recommendations (or is the best bet to attempt to go from NA to Turbo?).

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to learning more and contributing to the forums.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 02:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0303 (Misfire in Cylinder 3) and Performance Upgrades

Pls tell us where your from. No use telling you about where to buy parts if your in England and 99% of the people on the forum are from the U.S. The one thing you haven't checked is the upper manifold for a leak. Either between the upper and lower parts or along the seams of the upper. That would give you a rough idle and the P0303.

As far as more power, the chips are almost worthless and your never going to get the kind of power your looking for unless you spend a lot of time and money. Adding a turbo is a nightmare. We tell everyone they should have bought the turbo in the first place before buying the N/A. A K&N will help a little along with a free flow muffler but not a kick-in-the-pants kind of feel.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 03:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey CREWZIN,

Located in Canada so anywhere in/that will ship to works. I had heard a similar story of the turbo changeover so we'll leave that one out of the picture.

The K&N intake (for N/A) states an increase of 5.89 HP @ 5486 RPM. Wonder if its worth it (K&N 57-1515-1 - 57 Series FIPK, Air Intake / Cold Air Intake)

Sorry, forgot to mention we did check the idle speed with some WD-40 - no change.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 04:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First, you can't believe all the HP gains that comes with each product. If it was ture, you could add on 100 hp with little bits here and there.

Second, there's an internet auto store that a lot of us use for parts from single products to full kits. RockAuto Auto Parts
Badglas likes this.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 06:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The air box mod is cheaper and will give cooler air to the car.
Badglas likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com