Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ignition Stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2012, 02:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Ignition Stuff

Just a friendly service anouncement on the 06 and newer Ignition Switch and Lock Cylinder change...*Pretty close to Impossible*.

After watching a couple of videos on YouTube, using my 9 years (so far) of CrewChief experience on aircraft in the USAF, and sheer will to fix this problem without the help of overpriced dealerships, I decided to order some parts and fix it.

Well....my initial thought was why in the world would Chrysler replace the ignition switch and lock cylinder out of the many things they changed for the 06 refresh. The ignition switch sounds simple right? You turn the key in and it starts the car. We had remote keyless entry before 06, so why would they change something so small and insignificant in comparison to the entire car? Well they did alright, and made it damn near impossible to replace the ignition switch and lock cylinder. Everything is welded shut in under the steering column and I could not (after over and hour) of searching and fiddling with the lock cylinder a way to get it out.

Once you have the upper and lower shouds off, you can easily remove both multifunction switches to open up your space for investigation. The Ignition Switch is located on the left of the column and is easy to get off, identified by green and black housing, but once I got to mine it was very hard to remove and you have to be EXTRA CAREFUL not to break the metal and plastic piece from the pin actuator assembly that turns the Igntion switch. I suspected that was broken in my car as in my earlier posts I could not get the car to crank most times, and it was pure luck when it did, so I figured my Ignition pin assembly plastic piece had broken off and was not turning my Ignition Switch.

Donn't get me wrong here, I understood the videos I watched on YouTube were for 05 and older, but I figured something so small would of not been changed.

P.S. The videos I watched were from user PTCOMPANY Good luck!
Old 27 Aug 2012, 03:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Ignition Stuff

This thread mention loosening up the tilt wheel lever for better access but they still broke that plastic pin.

Ignition switch
Old 27 Aug 2012, 09:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Ignition Stuff

Wonder if they changed column vendors-

Whomever makes them prolly does everything same if another customer asks for changes- So Hummer says 'Weld 'er shut' and Dodge ends up with it welded shut, too.

Do you have pics?