PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Charging Issue Solved Many Thanks!!!!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By RMoore

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2012, 04:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Charging Issue Solved Many Thanks!!!!

Well my 03 is alive again. First let me give a HUGE thanks to all that gave me tips and things to check. After replacing the alternator and computer. Had the battery checked and rechecked. It sat at the dealer for a week with no luck, They did offer me 500 bucks as a trade in on a new car, that was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Had the car towed back to my house and tore into it again.

First problem, the battery was bad, Having 3 different people check it and swore to me it was good, It would not hold a charge for longer than a few hours then be dead again, it was less than a year old so like an idiot I also thought it was not the problem, New battery installed with still no luck but had hope.

Second problem, I had visually checked the wiring harness before but this time I had a better light and noticed that the plastic wiring harness cover that ran from the alternator was in a few pieces so I removed a couple of the larger chunks and got the light up in there and lo and behold the small black ground wire was broken and just held together with a thin sliver of plastic, the heavy wire that ran from the alternator to the starter had a significant chunk of the insulation gouged out of it. But no major damage, the black wire had taken most of the damage. Used heat shrink to repair the large wire then soldered and heat shrinked the small black wire, Then bought more of the plastic protective wire wrap and used a couple of zip ties to hold it up off of the CV axle, Was a monumental pain in the rear but......

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more battery light and the car once again ran like a champ.

I hope this will help someone else as well as it did me, just wish I had been VERY thorough and observant a few weeks ago,. Hope there is a special place in heaven for the people that share their solutions, and a place in hell for car salesmen that prey on people in a dealer service department,
bob2006, rcktpwrd and XtrmDC2 like this.