Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0302 Misfire Code From Hell! HELP!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2012, 11:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0302 Misfire Code From Hell! HELP!

Hello everyone, my name is Nick and I have been going over a bunch of posts for the last few days every since my Cruiser started having issues. I have to say there is a lot of knowledge on this site and the help offered is awesome!

Let me start with what I'm driving. Its a 2007 2.4L Limited (50,000 miles) without any bells or whistles. The only mod I did, which really isn't a mod, was add a drop in K&N filter. About 6 months ago, the CEL has came on with a code of P0302. I changed the plugs with standard Champion plugs and the light went away. A few months later, the light came back on with the same code, so I changed the wires, basic OEM set. Light came on and off randomly since then.

No I don't drive the car everyday, my girlfriend does. I started to get a list of things that have been wrong for a while now on Monday. First thing is the car wants to die at idle with the A/C on. I checked the forums here and found out about the fan failing to turn on high which I confirmed is true and will replace. The next is the car drives horrible and idles like a diesel truck with or without the A/C on. Also the CEL light is on again and has been flashing. Nothing like waiting to the last minute!!! lol

So first I drive over to Autozone and get the car scanned. I get a code for the TPS and MAP sensor only. Both are inexpensive so I replace them. Remove the battery cable to clear the codes and the car drives fine, no lights and idle seems fine. She drives the car to work and the light starts flashing again along with a rough idle. She takes the car back to Autozone on lunch and now is getting the dreaded P0302 code again. Here's where the fun begins!!

I spent all day on this site researching and finding things to try. I am just going to list what I have done and results so it might be easier for someone to shine a little light into my nightmare!!

1. I replaced the spark plugs with Autolight Single Platinum gapped to .44. I read a few posts about opening the gap a little might help with the misfire. I also checked the wells to make sure there was no oil which some people found. The plugs were clean without any oil or gas smell

2. I checked the intake gasket to make sure there was no damage or folds

3. I switched the #2 plug wire with the #3 wire to rule out a faulty wire

4. I replaced the intake manifold and followed the proper tightening sequence and torque for each bolt. (5,3,1,2,4) 105 in lbs

5. Removed battery cable for a few minutes to reset the computer

I started the car and there was no CEL on. I let the car sit for a few minutes and then went to pull out for a test drive. The light came back on and was flashing. I pulled back in and checked the code using the key and only the P0302 immediately popped up. I had already purchased the ignition coil just in case so I decided to put that in.

1. Replaced ignition coil. Confirmed dielectric grease was good

2. I replaced the intake manifold and followed the proper tightening sequence and torque for each bolt. (5,3,1,2,4) 105 in lbs

3. Removed battery cable for a few minutes to reset the computer

I started the car again and it fired right up. Let it sit for a little while and the light did come back on. I checked the codes again, but nothing showed up, just the "done" message. I drove the car and the performance was better that what I found after the TPS and MAP replacement. Pick-up was solid and acceleration was great. However, the idle was still rough.

The items I have replaced were so far the cheapest ones (only about $120) and all made sense in my head as a possible cause. I'm not a true mechanic by any sense of the word, but have been working on cars for a while now and always try to follow the most logical path.

Since there was no oil or carbon buildup on the plugs, I think that would rule out a bad valve or seat issue. Also moving the #2 wire around rules out the
wires being the cause. And when the P0302 code popped up right away without any of the other emission sensors getting a full reading yet from the time I cleared the codes, that makes me think there was something a little funky with the coil. Also, I'm not thinking there is a intake gasket leak as the code was there before I ever removed the manifold.

But now that I'm not seeing any codes with the key check and the car drives better than it did before, I'm ready to pull my hair out. If anyone could suggest anything else to try, I'm up for it. I called the dealer to check for any PCM or ECM flashes, but here was none, plus no recalls. My next logical guess would be a fuel injector, but I don't want to go through all that to just have the same problem again..
Old 30 Aug 2012, 11:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: P0302 Misfire Code From Hell! HELP!

The fan could be causing your rough idle issue. Does it smooth out when you turn the AC off?
Old 30 Aug 2012, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

The rough idle happens if the A/C is off. If the A/C is on, the car almost dies. I did test if the fan kicks in with the A/C on and it doesn't so I know that has to get replaced too.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 12:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Run some injector cleaner through it. Move the #2 plug if it's still popping the 302. Check the wiring going behind the motor, to see if loose and rubbing against something. Just throughing out some idea's.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Aug 2012, 12:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

you said you replaced the wires with oem. if it's mopar brand for the cruiser, garbage. anything BUT oem. i put bosch wires on both mine and the wife's. i'm not saying this will fix your problem, just trying to help cover the bases.

as far as the coil goes, it's probably one of the most rock solid parts of the car. very few people have had coil problems.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 03:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'd guess the idle motor is failing or coked up-

Or it does have a burnt valve.

If it's running acceptably and minor repairs won't fix it, pretty EZ to live with some stupid light.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 04:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies guys! Scanner did pull the P0302 code again, but only that one.

Im gonna toss some injector cleaner and see what happens. I agree with you on the coil Soyomb.. But I figured for the price it couldn't hurt plus I wanted to rule out everything from the coil to the plugs.

To UptownSport, I havent really messed with a Idle Air Control valve to much, but is that something that could improve with a nice blast of carb cleaner??

I guess I will also try the gasket test just to cover all the bases before I light a match in the back seat and walk away
Old 30 Aug 2012, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman285 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys! Scanner did pull the P0302 code again, but only that one.

Im gonna toss some injector cleaner and see what happens. I agree with you on the coil Soyomb.. But I figured for the price it couldn't hurt plus I wanted to rule out everything from the coil to the plugs.

To UptownSport, I havent really messed with a Idle Air Control valve to much, but is that something that could improve with a nice blast of carb cleaner??

I guess I will also try the gasket test just to cover all the bases before I light a match in the back seat and walk away
Have you moved the #2 plug?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Aug 2012, 05:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Have you moved the #2 plug?
or #2 injector?
Doubtful, but free.

IAC motor is just a small module, you can remove and clean TB port, if not, see if someone in your local PT club'll let you swap

here's '01 pic:
Old 31 Aug 2012, 10:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

I haven't moved the #2 plug yet, but I just put a new set in again on Wednesday. This is the second set, the first set was put in about 6 months ago and the code has always been on #2, so it seems to be something only with that cylinder, not the plug or wire.

I put injector cleaner in there last night and will see if anything comes of that. I'm going to try checking the gasket and IAC this weekend. Plus check and make sure nothing has disconnected itself...

I'm thinking about trying this after a case of beer, sometimes beer goggles help you see things that are not normally visible!
Rippsnorter likes this.

Tags
flashing cel, misfire, p0302, rough idle