Advertisements
Intake air temperature sensor

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2012, 04:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Intake air temperature sensor

Evening all.

I am getting ready to do the air filter box modification. After looking at the air filter/intake combos, the stock box modified makes more sense to me. I have not seen an air filter/intake combo that did not draw air in from within the engine compartment, whereas the modified stock box draws nothing but fresh air.

This brings me to the air temperature sensor. Has anyone moved the sensor location from the rubber elbow to the air box itself? This is one of the mods that I would do to a C-4 Vette. Because the sensor sits in a cooler air stream, it allows a more dense fuel mixture. In theory it should work the same way.

Just wondering if it's been done, and were the results as I expect?

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 30 Aug 2012, 05:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Intake air temperature sensor

Ron,
Personally I am with you about the CAI. I am not even sure the stock mod will do anything as well but its basically free. The intake system is run to close to heat engine area's with no fresh air circulation. So they are always exposed to heat soak. I carefully watched for a day driving my IAT's which consistently were in the 30*+/-5* of the ambient. This was not going into any boost level. Trip cruise speed average 45 mpg with w top speed of 66. This was on a completely stock air box. I inquired a few times from senior PT owners that have modded their engines what they noticed the IAT's were. No one ever replied with real data. Nor going to other PT forums could I find any accurate DATA to support contrary to what I theorized? I have not gone any farther with my own modding yet but thought maybe before you did the box mod you could do a before and after of the IAT's and use the DELTA of the same day ambient and driving condition?
What I averaged during my observation 112* IATs with a 90* ambient no boost. And a coolant of 212*
Badglas likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 30 Aug 2012 at 05:54 pm.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badglas View Post
Evening all.

I am getting ready to do the air filter box modification. After looking at the air filter/intake combos, the stock box modified makes more sense to me. I have not seen an air filter/intake combo that did not draw air in from within the engine compartment, whereas the modified stock box draws nothing but fresh air.

This brings me to the air temperature sensor. Has anyone moved the sensor location from the rubber elbow to the air box itself? This is one of the mods that I would do to a C-4 Vette. Because the sensor sits in a cooler air stream, it allows a more dense fuel mixture. In theory it should work the same way.

Just wondering if it's been done, and were the results as I expect?

Ron
Haven't read that one before. Maybe over on the crew? Sense your changing the air box, how will you know if it works?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Aug 2012, 05:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Guys fight over this all the time, usually between intake manifold (early Neons, etc.) and intake tube. My bro was convinced moving it from one spot to the other would solve all problems, but wasn't any change.

MY *THEORY* is it's most useful for driveability during extreme heat soak (1/2 hr idling in 95F traffic jam) rather than slight difference when zipping around.

Be careful; you want LESS fuel for more power (right up 'til things melt) and puking in extra will just- puke in extra.
Don't try this with a turbo, tho
Old 30 Aug 2012, 06:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Its absolutely dumb to fight over something that can factually be verified easily? You can't argue with temperature reading of IAT's ? Unless they want to bend physical laws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Haven't read that one before. Maybe over on the crew? Sense your changing the air box, how will you know if it works?
By doing a Delta or by first doing a short or long DATA run or specific range of operation of a singular operation! In other words what we all first learned in elementary school....Its called the scientific method of research!

Ask a Question
Do Background Research
Construct a Hypothesis
Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
Communicate Your Results

Sorry Danny its the Dinosaur stuff coming out again...............

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 30 Aug 2012 at 06:10 pm.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 06:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

The PT Cruiser airbox mod is the urban legend that won't die. Some people think they see hot air, some see restricted air and some see both hot and restricted air. The truth is, compared to most cars, the PT Cruiser intake/airbox is about as good as it gets right from the factory. You own the car, you're intitled to putter around with it. A little time spent bonding is usually not a bad thing. The only major big mistake you can make is cutting off the bellmouth flare on the intake snorkle. If you are going with a "Big Snorkle" just be sure you flare it or else you may be going backwards. Bellmouths have been established hot rod science scince the dinosaurs.

A lot of owners like the added noise of an intake that's unshrouded and that's fine if it sounds cool to you. It doesn't mean it's faster but it can seem like it which is extra fun in it's own way at the same speed as before.
NitroPT and Badglas like this.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Its absolutely dumb to fight over something that can factually be verified easily? You can't argue with temperature reading of IAT's ? Unless they want to bend physical laws?

By doing a Delta or by first doing a short or long DATA run or specific range of operation of a singular operation! In other words what we all first learned in elementary school....Its called the scientific method of research!

Ask a Question
Do Background Research
Construct a Hypothesis
Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
Communicate Your Results

Sorry Danny its the Dinosaur stuff coming out again...............
You told me not to tell!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Aug 2012, 07:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You told me not to tell!
You didn't nor did I...itsa a "musbe a private joke between them" thing!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 30 Aug 2012, 07:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
The PT Cruiser airbox mod is the urban legend that won't die. A little time spent bonding is usually not a bad thing.

I love that line!!! "A little time spent bonding is usually not a bad thing" How many of us just stare at the PT (or other car(s)) for long periods of time doing absolutely nothing on it. Just mindlessly staring!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 30 Aug 2012, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I love that line!!! "A little time spent bonding is usually not a bad thing" How many of us just stare at the PT (or other car(s)) for long periods of time doing absolutely nothing on it. Just mindlessly staring!
I must be welded to the one I'm building for the wife. I stare and think I have to get on the ball and get this done every day at work. Something else is always in the way.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com