Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clutch slave and master cylinders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2012, 06:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Clutch slave and master cylinders

My '07 clutch (only 30K miles on the car) is hard to shift into first or second gears when the car is warmed up. No problems when the car is cold from not having been driven -- 10 minutes of driving and it can be quite difficult to put the car into first or second gear with the clutch pedal pushed down. No slippage or noise or other signs of clutch problems. Some questions for the experts:
1) Does it make sense that this is a hydraulic issue, i.e. likely the clutch slave or master cylinder? Which is more likely?
2) Can/should the slave and/or master cylinder be replaced separately from each other? Better to replace both of them or try one first and see if it fixes the problem? How much labor time would a shop require to replace one or both?
3) Should the clutch disk/throwout bearing,etc be replaced at the same time or is this not necessary/recommended? What is the labor time needed to replace the whole clutch kit set? (does the clutch kit for a PT cruiser include both the slave and master cylinders?)
Thanks very much !
Old 30 Aug 2012, 08:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Clutch slave and master cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlesville View Post
My '07 clutch (only 30K miles on the car) is hard to shift into first or second gears when the car is warmed up. No problems when the car is cold from not having been driven -- 10 minutes of driving and it can be quite difficult to put the car into first or second gear with the clutch pedal pushed down. No slippage or noise or other signs of clutch problems. Some questions for the experts:
1) Does it make sense that this is a hydraulic issue, i.e. likely the clutch slave or master cylinder? Which is more likely?
2) Can/should the slave and/or master cylinder be replaced separately from each other? Better to replace both of them or try one first and see if it fixes the problem? How much labor time would a shop require to replace one or both?
3) Should the clutch disk/throwout bearing,etc be replaced at the same time or is this not necessary/recommended? What is the labor time needed to replace the whole clutch kit set? (does the clutch kit for a PT cruiser include both the slave and master cylinders?)
Thanks very much !
Try adjusting the rod on the peddle so that the clutch disingauges higher off the floor. This should fix your issue.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Aug 2012, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestion--I will try it. Can you suggest directions on how to make the adjustment?
Old 30 Aug 2012, 08:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion--I will try it. Can you suggest directions on how to make the adjustment?
Make the rod longer. Should be a jam nut that you loosen, then turn the rod witch will move the nut away from were it jams. Try it a little at a time till you like the feel. Then lock the nut back down.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Aug 2012, 02:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I tried adjusting the clutch pedal rod as suggested: no change in symptoms...What next?
Old 31 Aug 2012, 02:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did it change anything? Pump the clutch a couple times before you try to shift, to see if it makes it any easier.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Aug 2012, 02:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Stiff transmission when hot?

i wrote how i adjusted mine in there^

i had to pull them apart with my fingers, lifting up on the pedal wasn't enough.

a couple posts later in that thread you'll see a picture where someone added washers to the slave (to lengthen how far it pushes). try that if what i did doesn't work.

Stiff transmission when hot?(click the attachment and study the picture)
Old 31 Aug 2012, 03:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How easy is it to access the slave cylinder? Do I need to jack the car up for access? How easy is it to just replace the slave cylinder? (I assume this would solve the problem and presumably in a way that would last longer?--looks like the replacement slave cylinder part isn't very expensive).
Old 31 Aug 2012, 06:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
How easy is it to access the slave cylinder? Do I need to jack the car up for access? How easy is it to just replace the slave cylinder? (I assume this would solve the problem and presumably in a way that would last longer?--looks like the replacement slave cylinder part isn't very expensive).
The part cost is the tip of the iceburg. The trans has to be removed to access the slave cylinder. If you're handy, you can R&R the trans and bleed the hydraulic clutch system in a long afternoon. Yep, the trans comes out the bottom so the car has to be lifted high enough and safely enough to get under there. But first check the master cylinder to see if it's low and/or is there sign of leaking fluid at the bottom of the trans. If neither of those tell tales are happening, the slave probably isn't the problem.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 06:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How do I check to see if the master is low? Also, here's another clue: when the car is turned off, it's easy to shift. What does that mean?