Replace crankkshaft Sensor

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MiketheImpaler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2012, 12:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replace crankkshaft Sensor

Hi,
I have a PT Cruiser that has its share of repair issues. I've used this forum to learn how to fix them myself. When I was researching where the crankshaft sensor was located, I either got incorrect info or a sketch that did me no good. I did learn from this forum that the location was under the starter. Anyway, I made this video of where the sensor is and how to replace it. I figured I'd share since there is not that much out there and definitely no videos of how to replace it.

Thanks,
Mike
2005 Basic PT Cruiser: No air and had to replace oil sending unit, crankshaft sensor, replace wheel bearings, new driver side front axle, replaced motor mounts, replaced valve cover gaskets. Waiting for the next adventure...
Old 31 Aug 2012, 10:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Replace crankkshaft Sensor

Points for good first post..........+1
Points for clever screen name....+5

Welcome, new guy.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 09:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Replace Crankshaft Position Sensor (error code P0335)

THANKS FOR THE VIDEO!!! RE: Replace Crankshaft Position Sensor (error code P0335)

My 2003 PT had been, on occasion, while driving at 45-80 MPH range, for just a moment, hesitating?, cutting out?, doing a hiccup?...just for a flash... Then it started to happen more regularly, then on the generally uphill from the beach to anaheim hills area in orange county drive home doing that every few minutes, just for a split second, enough to be noticeable. Then today it threw the P0335 code. &

First it was a Check Engine Light flashing and alarm sound. After pulling over and shutting it off, then did the 3 turn key dance to read the code. After this I restarted and the Check Engine was now Solid, not flashing. I drove home cautiously. BUT THERE IS NO WAY I CAN REPLACE THIS SUCKER!!!

Hope my mechanic won't charge me a fortune.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 11:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Be sure to use Original Chrysler sensor. Aftermarket sensors fail after about 500 miles or so. Had same problem,check engine light bucking at 2000 rpm etc. Original sensor works like charm..
Old 21 Sep 2012, 07:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

oldorange,

Your sensor is in a different place than the original poster. 2001-2003 has the Crankshaft sensor right above the oil filter. In 2004 Chrysler changed where it is to under the starter motor. Yours is MUCH easier to replace if you decide to change it yourself.

Like aameralis just said, ONLY use genuine MOPAR sensors for a replacement.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 11:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you gentlemen, the deed was done yesterday for $40 for the installation. I never looked near the oil filter for it, thought from all i could find it was under the starter. I guess I shoulda asked the mechanic where he found it, if as you say it is in an easier location on 2003's... Then again, I bought this PT with a engine that was replaced with a used one from a wrecked PT, and so maybe it could be a different year engine? not sure how to tell if this is the case, (and the seller was telling the truth about it, he didn't say the year, just gave me 6 months and 6000 miles warranty) or if it is the same year engine, or even the original motor, I have no idea.

I drove it about 30 miles and didn't notice any hiccups, and no codes so far again, hopefully it won't break down for my daughter who just borrowed it for a few weeks

Mechanic says it was under the starter motor. ?? !!

Also, I bought the part from pepboys, sorry.... hope I'm not sorry... (it has a lifetime warranty!) but i asked for a 2003 PT cruiser sensor... I guess I'd better find out what year motor this really is? MORE

Last edited by oldorange; 25 Sep 2012 at 11:24 am. Reason: ooops pepboys part