Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Water dripping from under dash. HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2012, 12:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Water dripping from under dash. HELP!

So the other morning I decided to go outside and wash my 04 Dream Cruiser which I bought in May. After washing it, about 10 mins later I started vacuuming the floors an noticed water dripping on to the passenger floor from underneath the center console. After lifting the floor mat I discovered a very soaked carpet. Now it was first thing in the morning and the car had not been ran so I can rule out any A/C condensation or heater core issues cause it is defiantly water and it is too coincidental that 10mins after washing it I find the drip. So it's gotta be a leak some where? So i get down under the dash with a flash light and find that there is what looks like a foam seal that is sealing to sections of heater/air tunnels together and that foam is sopping wet! The water is some how getting into the heater/air lines. I pull the wipers and windshield cowl off to investigate and for the life of me can not figure out how water is getting down the heater/air intake. It seems like the design of the system is flawless so I don't understand? Has anyone else had this issue? I live in the north west where it rains alot and comming into rainy season i don't want to be dealing with a wet smelling car, Thank You!
Old 31 Aug 2012, 07:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Water dripping from under dash. HELP!

if i were you i'd check here. maybe you have a plugged drain or eroded seal. then again maybe you just sprayed the hose on a funky angle.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 07:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

"Funky" angle or not Rob, I've been in some rain storms that even I had to drop down my speed to a crawling pace (and I don't do that, usually) and there wasn't a drop of water that found it's way inside. Like you said first, clogged drain or bad seal is most likely the culprit.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 06:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Rob's video is a good instruction for pulling the wiper reservior and inspecting-
You're correct, it's a flawless system, so something must've changed.

You can also pull blower motor and look into blower plenum- I had a how-to somewhere

You might taste and ensure it's water- It possible heater core is leaking, also, there's the little drain thingy for the A/C evap, it should be draining also- Squeeze it to see it's not full of debris, you can also remove easily (if you can get at it) and poke something into drain to see if there's an obstruction

Metal to metal doesn't seal, so last look for unsealed seams