PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough idle after head gasket

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Sep 2012, 02:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rough idle after head gasket

I just replaced the head gasket in my sister in laws 01 pt, and now its got a rough idle. Sounds a bit like a heavily cammed drag car, but alot less cool. I found that the gasket at the lower mounting point of the EGR tube was bad, so I replaced that, which cleaned it up a little, but it's still not right. Is there any way to check the timing without disassembling the entire front end of the engine again? I'd really like to avoid that if possible.
Old 01 Sep 2012, 02:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Rough idle after head gasket

Make sure all the vacuum lines are connected and don't have any holes in them. Also check the EGR tube where it connects to the intake manifold.
Old 01 Sep 2012, 03:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Checked all the vacuum lines, but I'll check again. And I know that both EGR seals are good
Old 01 Sep 2012, 03:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like a timing issue. Not sure on the checking procedure though.
UptownSport likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Sep 2012, 04:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippsnorter View Post
I just replaced the head gasket in my sister in laws 01 pt, and now its got a rough idle. Sounds a bit like a heavily cammed drag car, but alot less cool. I found that the gasket at the lower mounting point of the EGR tube was bad, so I replaced that, which cleaned it up a little, but it's still not right. Is there any way to check the timing without disassembling the entire front end of the engine again? I'd really like to avoid that if possible.
I can get you close. Remove the upper timing cover and the #1 spark plug. Insert a thin metal rod into the spark plug hole. Turn the motor over by hand until the rod reaches it's highest point of travel. That will be close to top dead center. Check the cam gear timing marks for correct alignment. They will either be together like when you timed the belt during install or opposite each other. If they are opposite, turn the motor over one more revolution to find #1 TDC. The cam gear timing marks should then line up. If they are not aligned, you'll have to start over.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 02 Sep 2012, 06:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the tip man, gonna get on that today
Old 05 Sep 2012, 02:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK so I had the timing like 8 teeth out lol. Got the timing fixed, cranked it over by hand like 20 times and it lined up every time, so i'm confident that it's good now.

I still have problem though. When Driving it down the road I can hear something that sounds like a noisy bearing. I can't hear it inside the car, only when there's another car or a construction barrier next to me for it to echo off of. It only happens when there's a load on the engine, when I push in the clutch it stops, let it out and its back.

And it's still not running completely right at idle. It's rough, and when I twist the throttle it revs up nicely, but when it comes back down it bogs hard, almost to the point of stalling, then pulls back up to around 7-800 rpm idle.

And it has almost no power. I just got back from a 12 mile test drive, and I had to downshift ALOT more than I really should have. I live in florida, it's not all that hilly around here.

I sprayed all around the engine bay with starter fluid and didn't find any vacuum leaks, but I can still hear something that sounds like a vacuum leak from the back side of the intake manifold around the area of the EGR tube.

Anyone got any suggestions? It's got fresh gas in it, it was on E while I did all the work on it and took it out today and put 5 gallons of premium in it
Old 06 Sep 2012, 12:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Anyone got any suggestions?
Old 09 Sep 2012, 09:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

For the noise like a bearing I'd say the Clutch release bearing. The rough idle I would make sure plugs are properly gapped and check the plug wires. Also check the air filter.
Old 09 Sep 2012, 10:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Tell your sister-in-law not to let the tank get so low. The fuel pump is cooled and lubricated by the gas in the tank. letting it run on almost empty can burn the pump out not to mention the pump is pulling fuel off the bottom of the tank where any settled debris can get into the filter.

Might not be a bad idea to check the fuel pump pressure. On the 2001 the schreoder valve is right in front where you can attach a gauge to check the pressure. Should run between 53 and 63 psi.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.