PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pt Cruiser running hot while AC is on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Sep 2012, 07:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pt Cruiser running hot while AC is on

Hello everyone

This is my first post on this forum. I have a 2006 Pt Cruiser Touring edition. When the car is in idle, at a red light per se' and the AC is going, I noticed my temperature gauge runs just below hot, and the engine kind of does this weird vibrating thing every few seconds when the AC is on; don't know if that means it's "running hard" on idle or what. Once I pick up speed 35 to 40 mph, the car begins to cool back down to mid range and the AC starts blowing cool air again, and of course the engine does not do the vibrating.

I checked my fluids, oil and radiator fluid and they are not low. I also did the OBDII Error codes check, i.e. 3 turns forward in 5 seconds and there were no error codes, i.e. as it read "done" My girlfriend just turn the car on after sitting for awhile, with the AC on, and the car began climbing in temperature pretty fast. She turned off the AC and it didn't climb as fast. Any suggestions on were to start?

Last edited by allen777; 02 Sep 2012 at 07:41 pm.
Old 02 Sep 2012, 07:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Pt Cruiser running hot while AC is on

Allen, you fan is shot. At stationary idle, a busted fan cannot cool your A/C condenser--or your radiator.

Tim
Old 02 Sep 2012, 07:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Tim, thank you for your speedy replied, any suggestions on how much a fan might be and labor? Appreciate your time
Old 02 Sep 2012, 09:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would not suggest replacing the fan itself. Especially if you like keeping money. They run $300-400 at autozone.

However the motor which is probably toast is only $99.

Taking the fan out takes about 10 min...probably another 20 to swap the motor and put the fan back in.

So about $150 total.

Fan replacement with labor would be $350-$450 from what i've seen.
Old 02 Sep 2012, 11:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

get a dorman fan from rockauto. lifetime warranty and cost is less than $99.

the you don't have to worry about swapping the motor. just pull out the old fan and stick in the new.
Old 03 Sep 2012, 06:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Allen, I agree with Soy. Get a Dorman fan from RockAuto.com. They sell good stuff for a very reasonable price. I've bought stuff from them and I'm very satisfied.

You can learn exactly how to replace your fan by looking at a "Sticky" at the begining of this forum we're in now. It's not a very difficult job.

Also, I believe there's a new "Sticky" by Crewzin on how to test both your fan's speeds (I assume you have a two-speed fan, by the way). You might want to test it first before buying one--even though 99% of PT problems with your symptoms are fan related.

P.S. Don't turn on your A/C until you get the issue fixed because the high pressure builds up too much in your A/C system and ruptures expensive stuff (one of my A/C lines ruptured when I had your problem).

Tim
Old 03 Sep 2012, 07:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

My daughter's 06 did the same thing. We were in a hurry to get it back on the road so we got the Dorman at Autozone for $150. Lifetime warranty and replaced it perfectly. The nice thing is both relays get replaced too. If you have time Rockauto is the way to go but if not then you can get it locally.
Old 03 Sep 2012, 10:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Allen, I agree with Soy. Get a Dorman fan from RockAuto.com. They sell good stuff for a very reasonable price. I've bought stuff from them and I'm very satisfied.

You can learn exactly how to replace your fan by looking at a "Sticky" at the begining of this forum we're in now. It's not a very difficult job.

Also, I believe there's a new "Sticky" by Crewzin on how to test both your fan's speeds (I assume you have a two-speed fan, by the way). You might want to test it first before buying one--even though 99% of PT problems with your symptoms are fan related.

P.S. Don't turn on your A/C until you get the issue fixed because the high pressure builds up too much in your A/C system and ruptures expensive stuff (one of my A/C lines ruptured when I had your problem).

Tim
highly agreed. Dont even turn it to defrost *this turns on the AC compressor even if the AC is not on*
Old 05 Sep 2012, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You guys rock, thank you so much!
Old 14 Sep 2012, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

mdfrodolives, how do i find the "sticky" to install the fan myself? Not seeing what you are referencing...