PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 2.4 - Need help with PCM and OBD codes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Sep 2012, 07:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 2.4 - Need help with PCM and OBD codes

Hello all,

Hoping to get some insight to help diagnose my 2001 PT - 2.4 -Auto tran.
Issue:
MIL illuminated - found thru the forum how to check error codes (thanks!). Found code P0442 - Small leak detected in the evaporative purge system.
After a few Forum/Google searches (thanks again!) learned there is a leak detection pump affixed to the fuel tank. Figured...no big deal - will get to it later.
Inspection deadline soon approaches and I figured it's time to fix the car...wanted to check for the code just to make sure it's still the only one - this time get a P0601 - Internal powertrain control module fault condition detected (failed memory checksum) - Ordered a replacement PCM on-line - installed it (easy) - this cleared the P0601 but new codes issued - P1684, P0443, P0132 and P0138. The 1st one (battery disconnected in last 50 starts) I figure is more informational than an issue, the others seem unrelated to each other - and now the car has driveability issues (surging, hesitation). I've got a Leak det pump on order...but now fear this may not resolve the issue.....
Any insight?
Thanks to all who might take the time to help an old wrench (who is out of his league on the modern stuff) out.
Old 04 Sep 2012, 11:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 2.4 - Need help with PCM and OBD codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01PTlmtd View Post
Hello all,

Hoping to get some insight to help diagnose my 2001 PT - 2.4 -Auto tran.
Issue:
MIL illuminated - found thru the forum how to check error codes (thanks!). Found code P0442 - Small leak detected in the evaporative purge system.
After a few Forum/Google searches (thanks again!) learned there is a leak detection pump affixed to the fuel tank. Figured...no big deal - will get to it later.
Inspection deadline soon approaches and I figured it's time to fix the car...wanted to check for the code just to make sure it's still the only one - this time get a P0601 - Internal powertrain control module fault condition detected (failed memory checksum) - Ordered a replacement PCM on-line - installed it (easy) - this cleared the P0601 but new codes issued - P1684, P0443, P0132 and P0138. The 1st one (battery disconnected in last 50 starts) I figure is more informational than an issue, the others seem unrelated to each other - and now the car has driveability issues (surging, hesitation). I've got a Leak det pump on order...but now fear this may not resolve the issue.....
Any insight?
Thanks to all who might take the time to help an old wrench (who is out of his league on the modern stuff) out.
442/443 code. Need a new canister purge valve solenoid :-D

P0123-oxygen sensor high voltage.

P0138 -oxygen sensor high voltage.

So replace the valve solenoid and harness, then both your O2 sensors and youll be going great :-)
Old 24 Sep 2012, 07:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thought I'd update if anyone was interested....so I replaced both the leak detection pump and the EVAP purge solenoid but did not replace the O2 sensors - car retained the same codes and driveability issues. Heard through some Chrysler techs that the EVAP purge solenoid has caused the PCM to "short" out. I find this disturbing since the device should be insulated but what the hey....I had warranty on the PCM I purchased so I returned it and got a replacement. Installed it - car started immediately - light extinguished - no driveability issues (so far) but a new issue arose - the car now overheats. No "P" codes are active....assume perhaps that with the CEL always on the car was in "open loop" and went to default on the fan circuit and now that the emission issues are fixed....it may have a fan sensor or thermostat problem that only manifests itself in "closed loop" (sorry for the old school lingo) mode?
Any thought PT'ers?

Thanks
Old 24 Sep 2012, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure about the open/closed loop thing. Lets see if your fan is the problem. Let everything get cold. Start the engine and turn on the A/C. The fan should come on low speed. You can hardly tell it's on so look carefully.

If it's on, let it sit idling and wait till it warms up enough to have the high speed come on. That, you can tell because it's very loud. If it switches to high speed, nothing is wrong with your fan.

If the low fan didn't come on, it could possibly be the relay in the PDC (Power Distribution Center - fuse box) in the engine compartment.

Easiest way to check both speeds of the fan, both relays and the computer is to find someone with an OBDII scanner that can put everything through it's paces by turning things on and off.
Old 24 Sep 2012, 08:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

10-4 Crewzin...thanks for the help. Will update when I get motorvated again!