PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Deleting the cat and not getting a light

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2012, 07:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Deleting the cat and not getting a light

hey guys, i know that if you delete the cat it will put off an emissions light in the dash. But my question is, If you reflash the ECU, can you fool the ECU to think that the o2 sensors are running efficient? I can live with the light for a bit, but it will drive me nuts.
Old 05 Sep 2012, 07:21 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Deleting the cat and not getting a light

You just need to do the "non fouler " trick...

Non-Fouler Trick (NO CAT CEL DELETE) - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
Old 05 Sep 2012, 07:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Question Re: Deleting the cat and not getting a light

You won't need this if u have a high flow cat do u? The high flow cat doesn't trip a code right?
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Old 05 Sep 2012, 07:36 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksCruiser View Post
You won't need this if u have a high flow cat do u? The high flow cat doesn't trip a code right?
It didn't give me the code with my hiflow cat, but I heard sometimes it does give you the code.
Old 05 Sep 2012, 07:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Deleting the cat and not getting a light

Hmm ok good to kno thanks bro!
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Old 05 Sep 2012, 07:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I may be slightly mistaken but unless you have full ECU access like using a Diablo or similar devise, stand alone or piggyback re-calibrator and data logging abilities you are not going to be able to adjust cells in the ECU for a no light condition. Also in most cases doing so shuts done the light entirely from coming on warning of other engine concerns?
Simply put an ECU calibration may not simply cure the concerned question here regarding the PT?
Removing the CAT on any street car in the US fall under Federal regulations and laws. I know that Michigan has no state required smog inspections and very few emission regulations but the FEDS over ride State law. So asking questions such as the one posted on a forum may not get you to many enthusiastic member responses?

Removing the CAT without all the other engine changes will yield very small results not worth the chance of getting caught with out it. You are better off to replace the CAT with a high flow performance.

I ran a CATless system on a 1.6 SuperCharged engine and later replaced it with a HF CAT and Dyno'd a loss of -3whp. The CAT remains on with those differences. I doubt that any 4 cylinder would see much different?

I want to again say that this is the best information I have collected and up to date have learned about the PT's ECU and calibration accessibility. there may be other information at this point I am not yet aware of. If someone may know this and wishes not to post a responses please PM me I would love to learn about it. Thanks!
UptownSport and XtrmDC2 like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Sep 2012, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default "Random Access Memory" RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
You just need to do the "non fouler " trick...

Non-Fouler Trick (NO CAT CEL DELETE) - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
This "snake oil" method works some of the time and the times it does the ECU will eventually still code it and pop the light. Its a RAM thing.

You probably didn't really need it so much with the HF CAT you are using then simply to have moved the bung(longer) to a different location.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 05 Sep 2012 at 08:10 pm. Reason: "Random Access Memory"
Old 06 Sep 2012, 12:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i used this guide on my mustang and it worked. it's cheap and makes you feel smart. -might be worth a shot.

How To Make MIL Eliminators

if you make this, don't even bother buying the board. just stuff it all in a piece of heatshrink tubing

Last edited by rob342; 06 Sep 2012 at 12:06 pm.
Old 06 Sep 2012, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

These eliminator suggestions are good stuff. The PT ecu is slightly different then the Ford. Iam surprised you have not had trouble yet. I am sure if we asked enough questions the answer would present itself. When I do a ECU/EFI calibration for anyone if they have any ECU trickery they are removed before any new calibration is done. In every case leaving them in place globally effects the
Calibration ultimately limiting best performance output of the engine.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 06 Sep 2012 at 02:26 pm.
Old 06 Sep 2012, 02:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Stage 1 doesn't utilize the downstream o2 sensor; if you have intend on buying a Stage 1 for your PT (if you have a turbo model) then you could skip the non-fouler altogether.
XtrmDC2 and NicksCruiser like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!