Need help!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2012, 01:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Need help!

Hello,

I got a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring ED. 152K miles in my shop today,

Owner is complaining that she took it in to have the cluch and all changed and when she got it it had a bad grinding noise, either way they put a (---) long bolt in and it hit a gear and sent it threw the bottom of the trans casing.. so my question is.

How can i change the transmission. i have heard that it can be a real pain you need a engine hoist to support the engine and a bunch of other things.

Has anyone had to change there manual transmission? this is a first time for me on a FWD.

Anything would help.

Yes im to cheap to bu the haynes/chiltons manuals.
Old 06 Sep 2012, 06:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need help!

Looking through the 23 steps of the Haynes manual for removing the manual transaxle (non-turbo), after removing lots of things and supporting the engine, the transaxle is lowered from under the vehicle.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Sep 2012, 11:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Raise hood.
Remove air cleaner assembly (Fig. 5).
Disconnect both battery cables.
Remove battery hold down clamp and bolt, and remove battery (Fig. 6).
Remove battery tray from bracket (Fig. 7).
Disconnect back-up lamp switch connector (Fig. 8).
Remove shift cable-to-bracket clips (Fig. 9).
Disconnect shift selector and crossover cable from levers (Fig. 9). Remove cables and secure out of the way.
Disconnect the vehicle speed sensor connector (Fig. 10).
Raise vehicle on hoist.
Remove transaxle oil drain plug (Fig. 11) and drain oil into a suitable container. Reinstall drain plug and torque to 28 Nm (250 in. lbs.) torque.
Using tool 6638A (Fig. 12), disconnect clutch master cylinder hydraulic tube from the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder (Fig. 13).
Remove both axle half shafts.
Disconnect power steering hose from structural collar (Fig. 14)
Remove the left engine-to-transaxle lateral bending brace and structural collar (Fig. 15). See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Engine\Engine Mount
Remove bellhousing dust cover (Fig. 16).
Remove the right engine-to-transaxle lateral bending brace (Fig. 17).
Remove starter motor (Fig. 18).
Remove drive plate-to-clutch module bolts (Fig. 20).
Support engine at oil pan with screw jack and wood block.
Remove transaxle upper mount bolts (Fig. 19).
Carefully lower engine and transaxle on screw jack until proper removal clearance is obtained.
Obtain a helper to assist in holding transaxle while removing transaxle-to-engine mounting bolts (Fig. 20).
Remove transaxle from vehicle (Fig. 20).
Remove clutch module (Fig. 20) from transaxle input shaft.
If installing a new or replacement transaxle, remove the clutch slave cylinder as shown in (Fig. 21), and transfer to the replacement unit.
If installing a new or replacement transaxle, remove the upper mount as shown in (Fig. 22), transfer to the replacement unit and torque all bolts to 62 Nm (45 ft. lbs.) torque.

------------------------
*if i were you i'd start by removing the airbox, battery, shifter cables, and both axles. next i'd to the clutch hydraulic line, reverse light connector, and speed sensor, followed by the trans mount, the starter, and trans bolts. most times you can skip at least half the crap they tell you to remove.

**take the axle nuts off first before lifting the car or removing the tires. if you don't have a top of the line impact gun, you'll be doing this with a breaker bar and a pipe.

the tool they refer to for the clutch hyrdaulic line where it says "fig. 12" is a quick disconnect clip

Last edited by rob342; 06 Sep 2012 at 11:52 am.
Old 06 Sep 2012, 11:53 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetreemechanic View Post
Hello,

I got a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring ED. 152K miles in my shop today,

Owner is complaining that she took it in to have the cluch and all changed and when she got it it had a bad grinding noise, either way they put a (---) long bolt in and it hit a gear and sent it threw the bottom of the trans casing.. so my question is.

How can i change the transmission. i have heard that it can be a real pain you need a engine hoist to support the engine and a bunch of other things.

Has anyone had to change there manual transmission? this is a first time for me on a FWD.

Anything would help.

Yes im to cheap to bu the haynes/chiltons manuals.

Any part of this weird to anyone but me?
Old 06 Sep 2012, 12:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Any part of this weird to anyone but me?
yeah, all of it.

i just ASSume he's young and learning. no haynes, no alldata, etc.. still more of a parts changer than a mechanic, but he can figure it out. we all start somewhere. -it's always worth a reply if they're smart enough to ask.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 06 Sep 2012, 12:25 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
yeah, all of it.

i just ASSume he's young and learning. no haynes, no alldata, etc.. still more of a parts changer than a mechanic, but he can figure it out. we all start somewhere. -it's always worth a reply if they're smart enough to ask.
I would be pretty ticked if I am paying someone to fix my car and find out they are too cheap (his words) to buy a manual, alldata etc.

This is more complex than changing brake pads.
Old 06 Sep 2012, 12:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

He's been on the forum before so it's not

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the "mechanics" at the shops that don't do a lot of mechanical work like Grease Money and Jiffy Lube don't do some sort of searching on forums and the rest of the Internet for help in completing some of their jobs.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Sep 2012, 12:55 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
He's been on the forum before so it's not

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the "mechanics" at the shops that don't do a lot of mechanical work like Grease Money and Jiffy Lube don't do some sort of searching on forums and the rest of the Internet for help in completing some of their jobs.
I understand searching the web, but the whole "I am too cheap" line rubs me the wrong way, perhaps its just a mood I am in. I will check back later and see if I feel differently
Old 06 Sep 2012, 01:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe he's thinking he doesn't want to buy a Haynes/Chilton manual for every car he works on, but there's plenty of 5 inch thick Chrysler or Ford or whatever vehicle that can be picked up that covers hundreds of cars at one time.

Lets face it, of all the people that come to the forum where I and others give answers to from the Haynes and Chilton manuals, they could have just of easily bought their own manual...and they own the car, so it would come in useful for as long as they had it. Would we call them "too cheap" to buy a manual for their own car......Maybe?

Old 06 Sep 2012, 01:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
there's plenty of 5 inch thick Chrysler or Ford or whatever vehicle that can be picked up that covers hundreds of cars at one time.
i've been known to take pictures of pages of these books. they have all of them at the local library.

if you're doing this in your garage as side work, there's no shame in asking the lady to buy the book for reference. i've made my friends/family members buy these books(and beer). then again, i'm not charging them.

Last edited by rob342; 06 Sep 2012 at 01:50 pm.