PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Forward Tilting Hood

 
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By wwpptc

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06 Sep 2012, 07:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rome, GA
Posts: 7
Default Forward Tilting Hood

Looking for advice/comments about forward tilting hoods. I checked with scissordoors company today. They offer a flip flop hood that opens regular then make a swith and it can tilt forward for $399. Problem is it is for '01-'05 Cruisers and I have and '06 Convertible. They said they could custom make one but it would cost between $900-$1200.

Does any one know of an inexpensive, good looking, easily installed, correctly working forward tilting hood kit.

I know autoloc make a universal kit but I am not sure how easy it is to install and how it loks/fits on a cruiser.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06 Sep 2012, 07:58 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,889
Default Re: Forward Tilting Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGACruiser View Post
Looking for advice/comments about forward tilting hoods. I checked with scissordoors company today. They offer a flip flop hood that opens regular then make a swith and it can tilt forward for $399. Problem is it is for '01-'05 Cruisers and I have and '06 Convertible. They said they could custom make one but it would cost between $900-$1200.

Does any one know of an inexpensive, good looking, easily installed, correctly working forward tilting hood kit.

I know autoloc make a universal kit but I am not sure how easy it is to install and how it loks/fits on a cruiser.
The only thing different on you PT is the grill shape at the bottom. the hood finders cross bar are all the same. So whats up with the custom make thing. Maybe Jerry will chime in here he knows lots of custom pt people.
wwpptc likes this.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07 Sep 2012, 08:09 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: south of Tampa, Florida
Posts: 3,037
Default Re: Forward Tilting Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGACruiser View Post
Looking for advice/comments about forward tilting hoods. I checked with scissordoors company today. They offer a flip flop hood that opens regular then make a swith and it can tilt forward for $399. Problem is it is for '01-'05 Cruisers and I have and '06 Convertible. They said they could custom make one but it would cost between $900-$1200.

Does any one know of an inexpensive, good looking, easily installed, correctly working forward tilting hood kit.

I know autoloc make a universal kit but I am not sure how easy it is to install and how it loks/fits on a cruiser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The only thing different on you PT is the grill shape at the bottom. the hood finders cross bar are all the same. So whats up with the custom make thing. Maybe Jerry will chime in here he knows lots of custom pt people.
The hood configuration (shape, attachment points and configurations) are all the same from 01 to 010. There should be no customizing needing to be done by Scissordoors.

Many years ago there were a few owners that installed these. Autolock, Magic Pineapple, were the among the most prominent of the sources that come to mind right now. I know of a couple that were simply fabricated by a customizer that was local to them. I doubt if very many custom shops are still doing this mod these days, at least not of their own design.

Autoloc, as you have said still offers a kit that a good custom shop could install as it may need some slight reconfiguration.

Iirc, Magic Pineapple was a central florida vendor that was over near Orlando?
I could be wrong on his location. I do know Gary Folsum was a friend of his and Gary lived near Orlando. Afaik, Magic Pineapple has been out of business for years. Iirc he also marketed a "split hood" design that hinged through the center from front to back like the old cars of the 30's. Nick, a friend of Crewzin's and mine, had a tilt hooded PT that had some wild graphics that he won a lot of shows with.

Sorry I couldn't have better news.

Jerry
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07 Sep 2012, 08:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rome, GA
Posts: 7
Default Re: Forward Tilting Hood

Thanks for the input. So if all the same '01-10 including convertibles, I should be able to get from Scissor Doors Inc. for $399. They claim no modifications needed. Has anybody out their installed the Flip-Flop hood kit from Scissor Doors Inc.?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08 Sep 2012, 06:15 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Just south of the Mason/Dixon line
Posts: 1,713
Default Re: Forward Tilting Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
The hood configuration (shape, attachment points and configurations) are all the same from 01 to 010. There should be no customizing needing to be done by Scissordoors.

Many years ago there were a few owners that installed these. Autolock, Magic Pineapple, were the among the most prominent of the sources that come to mind right now. I know of a couple that were simply fabricated by a customizer that was local to them. I doubt if very many custom shops are still doing this mod these days, at least not of their own design.

Autoloc, as you have said still offers a kit that a good custom shop could install as it may need some slight reconfiguration.

Iirc, Magic Pineapple was a central florida vendor that was over near Orlando?
I could be wrong on his location. I do know Gary Folsum was a friend of his and Gary lived near Orlando. Afaik, Magic Pineapple has been out of business for years. Iirc he also marketed a "split hood" design that hinged through the center from front to back like the old cars of the 30's. Nick, a friend of Crewzin's and mine, had a tilt hooded PT that had some wild graphics that he won a lot of shows with.

Sorry I couldn't have better news.

Jerry
Jimmy Magic Pineapple is in MD near Baltimore area and is a member of the Lone Wolf Cruisers group. I'm pretty sure he has posted here long ago.
His email used to be MagicPineapple@comcast.net
__________________
.....................................
'03 GT base w/175k and a 2 speed autostick (read: trans is shot) and powered by a hybrid MOPAR S3 with DSP untuned
1st Forward Motion E1 powered PTGT w/Psi-Fi Power pack fuel tuner back in '07
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer

Last edited by OurPTGT; 08 Sep 2012 at 06:38 am.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08 Sep 2012, 10:00 am
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: south of Tampa, Florida
Posts: 3,037
Default Re: Forward Tilting Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurPTGT View Post
Jimmy Magic Pineapple is in MD near Baltimore area and is a member of the Lone Wolf Cruisers group. I'm pretty sure he has posted here long ago.
His email used to be MagicPineapple@comcast.net
Kevin, that Lone Wolf Cruisers club had the reputation of being one of the most active clubs in the states. I remember it being mentioned in Cruiser Quarterly all the time. I'll bet they're still going strong and that you're close enough that you're a member?

Of the two that were near me, one imploded and the other still meets once a week-----------------------to eat at I-HOP, Sonny's, Perkin's or the hamburger joint of the day. Not my idea of a PT clubs activities, but I guess whatever makes them happy is all that matters. There hasn't been a "PT only" show in this area for years or even a show that had a specifically organized PT group that showed up.

By the way, I got your letter. Thanks!

Jerry
OurPTGT likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08 Sep 2012, 01:02 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Just south of the Mason/Dixon line
Posts: 1,713
Default Re: Forward Tilting Hood

I am a member but not active anymore
I think the LWC are the ones that put on the PT's in Flight event at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.

glad you got the letter.

Thanks
__________________
.....................................
'03 GT base w/175k and a 2 speed autostick (read: trans is shot) and powered by a hybrid MOPAR S3 with DSP untuned
1st Forward Motion E1 powered PTGT w/Psi-Fi Power pack fuel tuner back in '07
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24 Sep 2012, 08:59 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: south of Tampa, Florida
Posts: 3,037
Default Re: Forward Tilting Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGACruiser View Post
Thanks for the input. So if all the same '01-10 including convertibles, I should be able to get from Scissor Doors Inc. for $399. They claim no modifications needed. Has anybody out their installed the Flip-Flop hood kit from Scissor Doors Inc.?

Found another source. Please click link below.

PT Crusier hood hinge reversing kit

I don't know anything about them.

Jerry
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear seat not folding forward meszaros Interior Accessories Forum 4 10 Oct 2015 05:58 pm
Paying it forward charlie2135 General PT Cruiser Discussions 1 24 Aug 2011 09:09 pm
motor pushed forward/rearended someone, help Leannaluv Tech & Performance Forum 3 27 May 2011 09:48 pm
Engine hiccup/lunging forward. What does it mean? yobiebs Turbo Performance 3 15 Jul 2003 05:19 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors