Advertisements
Steam/Smell Problem

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NightWing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2012, 05:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Steam/Smell Problem

OK, everyone that has read or responded to my posts knows that I am not a mechanical kind of guy. This post will do nothing to disprove that impression.

I have a 2005 with a "over heating" problem? Originally it was losing fluid, especially in the reservoir tank. I put some sealer in the radiator with the replacement antifreeze. Now it doesn't appear that I am losing fluid, but I get a lot of steam, especially when I rev the motor. I also get that lovely antifreeze smell, everyone tells me about it. I have not had a problem with the engine temperature, the arrow stays right in the middle. There is an occasional "shuddering" of the engine, especially at the initial start up. Maybe one in ten times.

It is going in the shop next Friday, I hope it stays operational until then I only drive it 32 miles round trip to work.

Since my last post saved me over $1200, I come to you experts to see if you have some thoughts about what sounds logical about this problem. The car has >120000 miles on it.

Can this just be hoses that need to be changed? Or is it likely to be something more costly?
Old 07 Sep 2012, 08:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Steam/Smell Problem

It's not the hoses. Have you or anyone else check to see if your fan is running properly on both speeds? If it's going to the shop, hopefully they'll put a scanner on it and check it all out including the operation of the 2-speed fan.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Sep 2012, 08:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for this insight. I will print this out and take it with me to the shop. I truly appreciate you taking the time to educate me on this!
Old 07 Sep 2012, 08:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you can wait, there might be others on the forum with a lot more expertise that will give you better opinions on what to look for.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Sep 2012, 10:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Steam/Smell Problem

The odor of antifreeze inside the car could indicate a leaking heater core. That stop leak you put in could make matters worse. Many a good cooling system has been ruined with that stuff.
Pipeous likes this.