Advertisements
smelly a/c and heater

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Badglas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Sep 2012, 01:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool smelly a/c and heater

Am just cleaning up an 04 PT that I just purchased. Looks great and was out for a test drive and turned the A/C on.......ouch, smells like dog....wet dog hair.....when the air was put on.

I searched the forum for info on a cabin filter.....confused here, some threads talk about a filter system for air and some threads talk about the PTs' not having a cabin filter. I just want to get the dog smell out. Will try to clean the airways with detergent and fabreeze. Anyone know about a cabin filter and where I should look to change it out? THX
Old 09 Sep 2012, 02:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: smelly a/c and heater

Welcome to the forum. Stop by the new members forum and introduce yourself. A search turned up several threads, this one looked like it might help.

Ron

Cabin air filter
Busted_PT likes this.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 09 Sep 2012, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thx badglas just as I had thought. Will check out the John Deere filter tomorrow and install just like the instructions in your link. THanks again
Old 09 Sep 2012, 10:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmck View Post
thx badglas just as I had thought. Will check out the John Deere filter tomorrow and install just like the instructions in your link. THanks again
Glad I could help. You might also make sure the evaporator drain is clear. After running the A/C while driving, you should see a small puddle of water under the right front, towards the dash. If not, you'll need to clean the drain. If the drain is or has been plugged, it could be causing your odor.

Ford had a problem with this in the late nineties, I think. There are disinfectant kits available if it turns out to be a mold or mildew problem.

The other consideration is a deceased rodent. Unusual if the car didn't sit for an extended period, but not unheard of. I have pictures of several mouse nests found in the dashes of Corvettes built in 90 days. They move in small, get comfortable, gain weight, then die when they are too fat to get out.

Had one C5 that I found 5lbs of Pinto beans in the heater blower assembly.

Just some further thoughts...

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)