Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Poor idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2012, 02:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Poor idle

I have a 2001 2.4 Pt cruiser w/ 90000 miles. At idle the rpms bounce around 800-1300 and ocassionally surging enough to make the car jump a little if your not paying attention. It seems to run perfect when accelerating till you get in the 60 range and are basically giving just enough gas to maintain speed then it Starts to bounce around again like short drops in power then right back again.

I've replaced the wires and plugs and it is not throwing any codes

Any suggestions where to look next??

Last edited by Rodder; 12 Sep 2012 at 02:25 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old 12 Sep 2012, 03:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Poor idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
I have a 2001 2.4 Pt cruiser w/ 90000 miles. At idle the rpms bounce around 800-1300 and ocassionally surging enough to make the car jump a little if your not paying attention. It seems to run perfect when accelerating till you get in the 60 range and are basically giving just enough gas to maintain speed then it Starts to bounce around again like short drops in power then right back again.

I've replaced the wires and plugs and it is not throwing any codes

Any suggestions where to look next??
Idle Air intake Valve

Or throttle position sensor.

I would check there :-)

Make sure if its one of those, to get MOPAR parts, PT's hate aftermarket sensors.
Old 12 Sep 2012, 07:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ty those are my first guesses also. I've already tried cleaning the air sensor, that didn't help so I've ordered a new tps since its the cheaper of the two. Then if that doesn't do it I'll replace the air sensor also. Just wasn't sure if I was missing something else
Old 12 Sep 2012, 08:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i replaced both of those things on my car and the idle still jumps around from 750-1300. it's been fine lately. it comes and goes. i broke the IAC trying to clean it(to remedy this problem). i bought a mint conditioned used throttle body off ebay for $20. when i did that, it came with both of those sensors. even with the new sensors, my car still does the same thing. it'll be fine for a month, then it'll act up for a while and go away again. i got over it/gave up. it doesn't throw any codes and i can live with it. i assume it's a shady connection somewhere or a small vacuum leak that confuses the computer and makes the IAC hunt. if you disconnect the IAC connector while it idles at 800, it'll stay there and drive better, but your CEL will come on.

a new IAC is around $100 i dont know how much the TPS is. i wouldn't throw parts at it yet if i were you because it probably won't fix it.

you can test the TPS to see if it's bad with a multimeter by stabbing 2 of the wires with a multimeter set to read volts and looking for dead spots. with the key on, the voltage should change smoothly as you slowly rotate the throttle blade from open to close. i don't know which 2 wires it is, but there's only 3 to pick from so it's easy enough to figure out. on a mustang the sensor goes from 0.99v to 5v, on a honda it goes from 0.5v to 4.5v. i'm sure this car is not much different. if the voltage drops or spikes anywhere, the sensor is bad. i recommend you try this before replacing it unless you have more money than time.

Last edited by rob342; 13 Sep 2012 at 09:06 am.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 05:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

100 bucks for an IAC? Check out rockauto.com. It's definitely cheaper than local parts stores can even come close to.

It sounds a whole lot like you have IAC issues. Even if it looks ok, and came with a "mint" throttle body, it could still be your culprit
Old 15 Sep 2012, 05:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I ordered them up we will see if it takes care of it. I'm not one to throw parts at something but these seem very likely to be the problem and they are pretty cheap so well worth a shot. The car makes me motion sick it's so bad so every time I skip driving it I have to drive my f350 dually so that's costing me way more.

Also Thanks for the tip on rock auto. Holy crap they have some good prices. I was just getting ready to order an extensive list of parts for my truck and that places was way cheaper
Old 16 Sep 2012, 05:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I love rock auto. Glad i could help you out. Just a word of caution, I would avoid the raybestos service grade parts. I ordered a draglink for my jeep and the tie rod on it didn't last for 2 months before the boot dry rotted away, and the bar rusted over about 2 weeks after I installed it. Other than that I've had nothing but good stuff from them