PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Non turbo muffler

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Sep 2012, 10:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Non turbo muffler

Every other bill on the desk suggests I better avoid the huge bill in replacing my steel turbo exhaust with aluminum. ( half price )
Problem is, obviously it doesn't breathe like the original ...............................( ie 2" tip vs Turbo's 3 ) anyone think it'll rob me of any discernible performance ?
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Non turbo muffler

Any exhaust system is about VE (Volumetric Efficiency) flow CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute)and TD's(thermal dynamic). If you don't run the engine to utilize at least the VE then it really will not matter as much about i.d. pipe size, flow capacity of the muffler or total exhaust system as long as you are at least 2.505i.d for stock Turbo PT.

Not sure about your post...are you saying you already have a 3" system?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 14 Sep 2012 at 02:23 pm.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 01:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks, yeah the stock 3" ( '03 2.4GT ) is the one needs to be replaced.. being steel it's pricey .
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 01:54 pm
Banned

All stock NAs have a 2 1/4" exhaust system. All stock turbo PTs (GTs and lites) have a 2 1/2" exhaust system. The 3" systems are the normal upgrades that are done as an aftermaket choice.

The tips of all the systems are larger for "looks". The systems themselves are as stated above.

Jerry
Old 14 Sep 2012, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
Thanks, yeah the stock 3" ( '03 2.4GT ) is the one needs to be replaced.. being steel it's pricey .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
All stock NAs have a 2 1/4" exhaust system. All stock turbo PTs (GTs and lites) have a 2 1/2" exhaust system. The 3" systems are the normal upgrades that are done as an aftermaket choice.

The tips of all the systems are larger for "looks". The systems themselves are as stated above.

Jerry
Good to know. I examined a stock 2003 PT turbo exhaust and there are several choke point were the piping is smaller then 2.25. Very poor i.d. piping consistency for OEM.
I still wonder why people go to 3" exhaust on a street driven DD PT unless it is the "kool" thing to do? Doing the math even at 5K 11lbs boost a 3" is to big?
But I guess its the thing to do?

I know Jerry you are thinking what is he talking about because you know I will be doing one myself!! Its the "kool" thing to do!!
wwpptc likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 14 Sep 2012 at 02:24 pm.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 02:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yeah the chicks dig it, they jump in on every corner... Sheriff ? That legal ? There's no transaction, they just dig my ride.. 44yr old white guys are all the rage here in Canada, home of the Beebs.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 02:42 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Good to know. I examined a stock 2003 PT turbo exhaust and there are several choke point were the piping is smaller then 2.25. Very poor i.d. piping consistency for OEM.
I still wonder why people go to 3" exhaust on a street driven DD PT unless it is the "kool" thing to do? Doing the math even at 5K 11lbs boost a 3" is to big?
But I guess its the thing to do?

I know Jerry you are thinking what is he talking about because you know I will be doing one myself!! Its the "kool" thing to do!!

That's the reason I did 99.9% of the stuff I did to mine, specially on the exterior. The chicks that chase me don't have a chance of catching me---the batterys in their "Hoverounds" run out of juice after about six blocks!!! If they haven't caught up to me by then it's all over for them, cause I'm up to at least 27 or 28 by then.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 14 Sep 2012 at 02:45 pm.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 02:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

wwpptc likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Sep 2012, 10:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

So why does the subject line say non turbo muffler???
Anyway -
Are you looking for a stock exhaust???
I have both an '02 exhaust and an '05 turbo exhaust - each with only a few hundred miles on them (replaced with aftermarket exhausts)
You can have either one or both if you're willing to drive & pick 'em up..
(Phillipsburg, NJ)

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Sep 2012, 10:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

On a turbo you can't go too big you don't want any back pressure with a turbo.

The little 1.3, 4efte Toyota Starlet comes with 2.5 inch exhuast. 3 inch is the most common upgrade. Porsche Turbo comes with 2.5, 3 inch is a common upgrade and a couple guys run a 4 inch exhaust. (that's a bit much I think) but...Lindsey Racing makes a 5 inch Exhuast! That's just insane and Lindsey was having a hard time explaing the need for that to us on Rennlist.

Anyway 2.5 is good for the most part, if your not pushing 350+ not even gonna be an issue but a 3 inch is a good upgrade even on a Stock GT.