PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
DIY Water Pump/Timing Belt

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Sep 2012, 10:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default DIY Water Pump/Timing Belt

First post ! Hope I don't piss anyone off with my post.

I have an '01 PT non turbo.

I was reading my AllData repair procedure on doing this and, it states you need to perform a camshaft/crankshaft synchronization procedure.

Is this an absolute necessary step after the repair?

I changed a water pump on my '99 Plymouth Breeze w/2.0L and never did this step and it seems to be the same steps I did for it as for the PT would need (relatively speaking that is).

Last edited by tooter1; 16 Sep 2012 at 10:29 pm.
Old 16 Sep 2012, 10:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: DIY Water Pump/Timing Belt

Welcome! step right in and have a cold one...

Old 16 Sep 2012, 10:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter1 View Post
First post ! Hope I don't piss anyone off with my post.

I have an '01 PT.

I was reading my AllData repair procedure on doing this and, it states you need to perform a camshaft/crankshaft synchronization procedure.

Is this an absolute necessary step after the repair?

I changed a water pump on my '99 Plymouth Breeze w/2.0L and never did this step and it seems to be the same steps I did for it as for the PT would need (relatively speaking that is).
You should only have to do that when changing the timing belt. It's just setting the timing marks.
Old 16 Sep 2012, 10:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It tells you to do this:

Perform camshaft and crankshaft synchronization procedure as follows:
Connect the DRB III scan tool to the data link (diagnostic) connector.
Turn the ignition switch on and access the "miscellaneous" screen.
Select "re-set values" option.
Perform cam/crank synchronization procedure following directions on DRB III screen.
Old 16 Sep 2012, 11:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

That is weird? Never heard of that, you'd have to set the cams when you do the belt. Off the top of my head I would say that procedure would only be necessary if the belt broke while the motor was running?

But I'm new and that's just my guess!

Welcome aboard!
Old 17 Sep 2012, 05:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just got finished with a head gasket job on an 01, which means I also did the timing belt. The autozone vehicle repair guide (alldata for the lesser privileged) also said to perform this action, but I skipped it and the car is running fine. I don't really think it's necessary
Old 17 Sep 2012, 07:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippsnorter View Post
I just got finished with a head gasket job on an 01, which means I also did the timing belt. The autozone vehicle repair guide (alldata for the lesser privileged) also said to perform this action, but I skipped it and the car is running fine. I don't really think it's necessary
That is my exact sentiments. Just seems to be something to waste your time.
Old 17 Sep 2012, 07:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The computer will get it's info from the sensors when she fires. Educated idiots idea! Forget it.
tooter1 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Sep 2012, 10:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just make sure when you put the new timing belt on, that you have the crankshaft at top dead center on cylinder 1, with the mark on the crankshaft pulley straight up, and that the camshaft's are properly aligned, the one closest to the front of the car has to be straight and the one closest to the rear of the car as to be one tooth down from being straight. I hope I have made sense about it, just be sure to make sure it is aligned, otherwise it WILL NOT idle correctly!!
Old 19 Sep 2012, 10:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

just out of curiousity, what alldata are you looking at? mine says nothing about any of that.

>>
TIMING BELT

Removal

Disconnect negative battery cable.
Remove upper and lower front timing belt covers. Refer to See: Timing Cover\Service and Repair

CAUTION : When aligning crankshaft and camshaft timing marks always rotate engine from crankshaft. Camshaft should not be rotated after timing belt is removed. Damage to valve components may occur. Always align timing marks before removing the timing belt.

Before the removal of the timing belt, rotate crankshaft until TDC mark on oil pump housing aligns with the TDC mark on crankshaft sprocket (trailing edge of sprocket tooth).

NOTE : The crankshaft sprocket TDC mark is located on the trailing edge of sprocket tooth. Failure to align trailing edge of sprocket tooth to TDC mark on oil pump housing will cause the crankshaft timing marks to be misaligned.

Loosen timing belt tensioner lock bolt.

Insert a 6mm Allen wrench into the hexagon opening located on the top plate of the belt tensioner pulley. Rotate the top plate CLOCKWISE until there is enough slack in timing belt to allow for removal.
Remove timing belt.

CAUTION : If timing belt was damaged due to incorrect tracking (alignment), the belt tensioner pulley and bracket must be replaced as an assembly . Refer to See: Timing Belt Tensioner\Service and Repair

Installation

Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.
Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1/2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket.

CAUTION : Ensure that the arrows on both camshaft sprockets are facing up.

Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner.

Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise to align marks and take up belt slack.
Insert a 6mm Allen wrench into the hexagon opening located on the top of the belt tensioner pulley. Rotate the top plate COUNTERCLOCKWISE . The tensioner pulley will move against the belt and the tensioner setting notch will eventually start to move clockwise. Watching the movement of the setting notch, continue rotating the top plate counterclockwise until the setting notch is aligned with the spring tang. Using the Allen wrench to prevent the top plate from moving, torque the tensioner lock bolt to 25 Nm (220 in.lbs) . Setting notch and spring tang should remain aligned after lock bolt is torqued.

Remove Allen wrench and torque wrench.

NOTE : Repositioning the crankshaft to the TDC position must be done only during the CLOCKWISE rotation movement. If TDC is missed, rotate a further two revolutions until TDC is achieved. DO NOT rotate crankshaft counterclockwise as this will make verification of proper tensioner setting impossible.

Rotate the crankshaft CLOCKWISE two complete revolutions manually for seating of the belt, until the crankshaft is repositioned at the TDC position. Verify that the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks are in proper position.

Check if the spring tang is within the tolerance window. If the spring tang is within the tolerance window, the installation process is complete and nothing further is required. If the spring tang is not within the tolerance window, repeat Steps 5 through 7.

Install upper and lower front timing belt covers. Refer to See: Timing Cover\Service and Repair
Connect negative cable to battery.

2012 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
<<<