Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator cap PSI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2012, 08:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Radiator cap PSI

Hi All - can anybody tell me what the correct radiator cap PSI rating is for 2001 2.0l PT Cruiser ? Thanks, DonJuan
Old 18 Sep 2012, 08:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator cap PSI

16psi

I recommend a Stant # 10230

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Sep 2012, 08:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Don, my wife has the PT at this moment, but I think the cap reads 17 lbs. It's a Chrysler PT cap, by the way.

I'll write back when the PT gets home--if the 17 lb. figure is wrong.

Tim
Old 20 Sep 2012, 02:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It's actually 14-18 psi.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 02:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

For clarity we are talking about a NA not a Turbo which would have a higher psi cap rating.

Turbo's charged engines run slightly hotter and require a higher psi radiator cap then a NA PT.

Using a higher psi cap on a system designed for lower caps can damage the cooling system.
If you are so inclined to want to use a higher psi radiator cap on a lower psi system first pressure check the cooling system at the newly rated system first.

NA PT:
2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4-Cyl. 2.4 L Click on part number to get detailed information.

Radiator Cap
Safety Release Radiator Cap 10330 (16 psi)
OE Type Radiator Cap 10230 (16 psi)

TURBO CHARGED PT:
Application Product Type Part # Comments
Cooling System
Radiator Caps & Testers

Radiator Cap ; W/Turbo
Safety Release Radiator Cap 10334 (18 psi)
OE Type Radiator Cap 10234 (18 psi)

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Sep 2012 at 05:03 pm.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 05:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In the PT's cooling system using a higher psi cap will mean a higher boiling point for the coolant. This higher coolant pressures also transfer heat from the engine cylinder head more efficiently. I personally will find a radiator cap with the highest pressure rating that the radiator and cooling system can safely use.
See post response #5

The coolant in the PT will usually only build to 16-18 PSI anyway because basic thermal expansion principals up to 200F. If you do overheat because of other parts failing, the pressure inside the cooling system could reach as high as 28 PSI. Once the radiator cap has popped opened and released coolant to the expansion tank, the engine will not cool down until it has been turned off or closed. So a radiator cap is really nothing more then a safety valve. This is why you want to make sure that it is good working order and that you stay with what is system recommended unless you test further for a higher psi cap as I mention earlier.
See post response #5

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 Sep 2012, 05:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

BTW here something I always smile about when things of technical nature are mentioned with regards to what the automotive engineers designed. The engineering for engines, co-components and their environment are based on limitation of many factors the least is performance or maximum efficiency. I have spent a large portion of my adult life correcting flaws that have been implemented and designed by these engineers. All to often if I make public comments about such flaws I am bombarded with the phrase or like "I think the engineers knew what they were doing"?
Well let me point out a slight questionable design in the MOPAR cooling system. Now mind you generally speaking this will work fine except the rare cases that the engine gets used in a semi or high performance application. This can be defined as a brisk drive in the mountain twisties or a really fast trip to the grocery store for milk and eggs?
The thermostat and radiator cap housing regarding placing the radiator cap directly above the thermostat location will push coolant out of the cap at high RPM. So did the "engineers" think this one fully or were the bean counters involved?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Sep 2012 at 05:39 pm.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 07:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

All I know is I went to the dealer a few years ago and asked for a new radiator cap. They gave me one that was OEM that was also 17 lbs. I had a 16 lb. old one and and I complained, but they said the 17 lb. was the one Chrysler recommended now.

I screwed on the cap and my motor has never overheated, spewed, or busted a nut. So, I'm satisfied.

Tim
Old 21 Sep 2012, 09:13 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
NA PT:
2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4-Cyl. 2.4 L Click on part number to get detailed information.
He doesn't have a 2.4, he has a 2.0. Same pressure rating, just the wrong engine.

This is all the information you need. It is not rated at exactly 16 psi. From the factory manual:

"The pressure cap allows the cooling system to operate at higher than atmospheric pressure. The higher pressure raises the coolant boiling point, allowing increased radiator cooling capacity. The pressure cap will release cooling system pressure in a range of 97 - 124 kPa (14 - 18 psi)."

This information is for a 2001 2.0 engine.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
He doesn't have a 2.4, he has a 2.0. Same pressure rating, just the wrong engine.

This is all the information you need. It is not rated at exactly 16 psi. From the factory manual:

"The pressure cap allows the cooling system to operate at higher than atmospheric pressure. The higher pressure raises the coolant boiling point, allowing increased radiator cooling capacity. The pressure cap will release cooling system pressure in a range of 97 - 124 kPa (14 - 18 psi)."

This information is for a 2001 2.0 engine.
Cataloging like manuals factory or otherwise is not perfect, that is why you should read the complete application listings. And if possible cross reference the information with other manufactures if possible.

Some of you might find it helpful to re-read Post # 5,6 and 7?
As pointed out each degree raises the boiling point of the water as well the pressure in the system. As suggested not all cooling systems can hold increased pressure. As many have pointed out manuals are not always correct.
Getting a radiator cap that is better precise in its operation is a bennifit over one suggested use having a wide variance range of operation? Common sense, a valve of design specifically a common and standard radiator cap with a psi range from low to high with no thermal control devices will physically by nature open at the least pressure first. I have not seen to many stepped valved pressure rated radiator caps?

Personally I would not want to make absolute statements like "This is all the information you need."

Good technical information be researched by contacting the follow manufactures.

Stant:
Home
Presco
Presco Radiator Caps Ltd
Motorad
MotoRad - Radiator Caps

There are probably other's? Stant is the brand I prefer and have also used with many products I have engineered, manufactured and distributed over the years.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 21 Sep 2012 at 12:17 pm.