Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
fuel pump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2012, 12:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default fuel pump

on my way to work, my car briefly lost power(HP, not volts)

just now i was going to go to lunch and my car wouldn't start. just cranks n cranks. no codes.

so i call our trusted family friend mechanic.. he tells me to check fuel pressure. i press in the schrader valve while turning the key and he's right! no gas coming out.

i had someone else try to start the car while i pounded on the gas tank. it started right up.

i called him back and told him he was right about the fue,l and explained to him how i got it to start.. he told me chrysler fuel pumps don't go bad like that, and i should be fine. he said it probably had a piece of debris in the pump. -hope he's right! off to lunch! WINNING!(i think)
Old 18 Sep 2012, 12:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post

just now i was going to go to lunch and my car wouldn't start. just cranks n cranks. no codes.

so i call our trusted family friend mechanic.. he tells me to check fuel pressure. i press in the schrader valve while turning the key and he's right! no gas coming out.

i had someone else try to start the car while i pounded on the gas tank. it started right up.

i called him back and told him he was right about the fue,l and explained to him how i got it to start.. he told me chrysler fuel pumps don't go bad like that, and i should be fine. he said it probably had a piece of debris in the pump. -hope he's right! off to lunch! WINNING!(i think)

Ya better hope he's right haha Fuel pumps are $300-$400 at autozone, filter attached. And you must drop the tank to replace it :/
Old 18 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post

If that is the case about debris in the fuel pump I would wonder things like how did it get past the fuel pump screen and it must have been so large it held in place with the fuel pump pressure, and where did it go after it past the fuel pump blockage? Gonna plug an injector next?

I think we will be hearing from your adventure some more shortly?
Old 18 Sep 2012, 12:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
If that is the case about debris in the fuel pump I would wonder things like how did it get past the fuel pump screen and it must have been so large it held in place with the fuel pump pressure, and where did it go after it past the fuel pump blockage? Gonna plug an injector next?

I think we will be hearing from your adventure some more shortly?
Agreed. I would advise the OP to disconnect the fuel rail and clean her out. If whatever was clogging the pump gets to the rail, it could cost you an expensive injector.........or four.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 01:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

used injectors are cheap. The fp can be replaced without replacing the fuel cansiter. A replacement fp is $100 or less.
OP, i have a stock fp (Walbro 190lph) from my GT you can have for say $25+ shipping if you're interested. Not 100% sure of mileage, maybe 50k or less. I replaced it with a 255lph pump
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 18 Sep 2012, 01:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
Agreed. I would advise the OP to disconnect the fuel rail and clean her out. If whatever was clogging the pump gets to the rail, it could cost you an expensive injector.........or four.
yea i was thinking about that.. anyways, went out to start the car and the pump was dead again.

$166.18 from rock auto with a 4-6 day shipping delay
$80 cheaper than buying the same brand part locally.
$40 65k used pump on ebay. 90 day warranty

i think i'm going the $40 route. i have more time than money. i mean i don't have a lot of time, i have 2 jobs... but... i've been working so hard towards establishing good credit and paying stuff off i can't bring myself to charge the pump. this month i paid off a medical bill on my credit report that my parents blew off when i was 17. i've been paying my credit cards $50 every single day so they show 0 balance on the statements. i have 2 out of 3 cards paid off and one almost paid off. the credit card statements all come out the end of this week/early next week. i really want those 0 balances and paid off debt to show up on my credit report ASAP.

they're doing some(20'x30'x6"thick) concrete replacement at my local gas station. they probably stirred all the crap in the tanks when they busted it up. i'm a little upset about it, but at the same time i can't prove that has anything to do with it. i've driven off with their pump still attached to the car before so maybe it's just karma coming back to me.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 01:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurPTGT View Post
used injectors are cheap. The fp can be replaced without replacing the fuel cansiter. A replacement fp is $100 or less.
OP, i have a stock fp (Walbro 190lph) from my GT you can have for say $25+ shipping if you're interested. Not 100% sure of mileage, maybe 50k or less. I replaced it with a 255lph pump
add it to the ball joints. i'll pay it instantly.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There is a list of things for a car I would never buy used...

A fuel pump is one.

You might think about this as an investment and not a savings. I do not know of any auto dismantler or private individual that will take the time to run the pump up using WD 40 or similar to clean it out for even a short shelf storage. When the gas dries it forms a residue that does not always clean off when the gas is re introduced to it. Also you have no way of knowing if the pump was run exposed which super heats the electrical motor inside the casing.
Just something to think about.

Last edited by NitroPT; 18 Sep 2012 at 02:03 pm.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 02:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
There is a list of things for a car I would never buy used...

A fuel pump is one.

You might think about this as an investment and not a savings. I do not know of any auto dismantler or private individual that will take the time to run the pump up using WD 40 or similar to clean it out for even a short shelf storage. When the gas dries it forms a residue that does not always clean off when the gas is re introduced to it. Also you have no way of knowing if the pump was run exposed which super heats the electrical motor inside the casing.
Just something to think about.
i understand completely what you're saying. i get a little scared making an investment in something with so many (248k)miles. i am going to try my luck with the OurPTGT route. if it fails, i will PM you first. so that you may be the first to say "YOU DUMMY -I TOLD YOU SO!" <-i mean that in a good way. for the mustang i wanted everything brand new. i spent $330 on holley injectors because not only did i want brand new, i wanted "made in USA"
Old 18 Sep 2012, 02:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

so, do the injectors have the fancy little screens in the caps similar to other cars?