Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Knocking Sound in Frst and Second Gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2012, 10:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Question Knocking Sound in Frst and Second Gear

This just started today. When accelerating, I get a knocking sound when my car is in first and second gear. (It might also be happening in third and fourth, but I can't hear it.) Once it gets to a point where the car is not straining so much, the knocking sound stops.

The car is a 2004 base with a 5 speed transmission, 58,008 miles. It has had almost exclusively city stop and go driving.

Thoughts?
Old 19 Sep 2012, 01:23 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Knocking Sound in Frst and Second Gear

torque struts
Old 19 Sep 2012, 08:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'll have a look in my copious amounts of spare time.

How much $$ do replacements cost, in round numbers? Of course, the phenomenon has just today become intermittent. Figures.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 03:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Simple observation is the test, lower one obscured by engine compartment splash shield. (with shield off, you can see this one bottom right) is bad

after you verify they're ripped, theres lots and lots of choices- SRT-4 / late Neon shares the strut, i understand.

Cheapest, and I feel the best is to buy 3M (or equivalent) windshield urethane and fill mounts.
The stuff's a 'forever' fix.
Lots of other experiences and posts on here, comes up 2x /day
Old 20 Sep 2012, 09:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Aha! Those struts. Does not even look difficult to diagnose or to replace.
Old 06 Jan 2013, 08:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Peedie, my wife's '03 PT Touring Edition, just did this yesterday...at lest the clunking sound. Almost sounds as if something dropped out of the engine compartment. Scared the hoo ha out of me.I'm hoping that this is the issue. Gonna check it out today, hoping it's your quick and easy remedy.

Will keep you posted.
Old 06 Jan 2013, 11:27 am
Cool Cruiser

I had forgotten about this thread. The problem on my 2004 turned out to be a very bad left front wheel bearing. That is now replaced. The right front bearing was nowhere near as bad and I could have let it go for a while, but I replaced it also. The car is completely front-end noise free now.
Old 06 Jan 2013, 04:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt42 View Post
I had forgotten about this thread. The problem on my 2004 turned out to be a very bad left front wheel bearing. That is now replaced. The right front bearing was nowhere near as bad and I could have let it go for a while, but I replaced it also. The car is completely front-end noise free now.
Was your noise a progressive thing, or did it happen all at once?

Glad you got things worked out.
Old 06 Jan 2013, 08:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

The knocking was kind of progressive. It turned out to not be acceleration-dependent. I worked with it for a while to try to narrow it down. The knocking was actually transitory. The sound became a progressively louder rattle that was worse on right turns. I discovered that I could make it stop by lightly applying the brakes. So I thought it might be a loose caliper. But the "wiggle the tire & wheel assembly" diagnosis was very definite for bearing.

All quiet now, and it accelerates and rolls much more freely.
Old 06 Jan 2013, 09:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Matt.
The clunk I heard was as I stepped on the gas as I was leaving my neighborhood. Started ti leave and it was one big CLUNK! I pulled over right away and drove in reverse back to my home. No clunks as I drove backwards. I'm guessing that as I stepped on the gas, the force/torque of the engine pushed it forward, clunking the bolt on the metal of the torque strut.

Upon inspection, The rubber is failing on the torque strut- not as bad as the pic from UptownSport, but I think it's enough to cause that clunk..at least I hope this is the problem. I did per Uptown's suggestion and bought some silicone windshield sealant and filled the area. Gonna let it cure till tomorrow evening and then give it a test drive. God I hope this is the solution to the problem at hand.