Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Does this make sense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Sep 2012, 05:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Does this make sense?

I have an 07 cruiser, bought new in 07. Last labor day, I had my fuel pump replaced. The last couple of weeks, I've had performance issues. the car would hesitate sometimes when accelerating, especially when coming from a stop. and then when I got to about 60 miles an hour it would also do it. sometimes if i turned off the car, then left the car turned on for a few moments before trying to start it, the car would then run fine.

Last night, I stopped the car, put gas in it, and when I tried to start it, the engine tried to turn over, then I got a clicking sound when I turned the key. I had it towed to the shop that replaced the fuel pump, I was convinced the pump went out again.

They called today and said it was the battery. I still have the original factory battery. The car has nearly 140K miles on it. I asked them if they were sure. The guy said once they jump started the car, they had it running for awhile and the only issue they could find was the battery.

***oh, and the battery light didn't come on, but my check engine light would come on

Would a battery that is going bad cause those types of problems?

Last edited by 07CruiserinMO; 20 Sep 2012 at 05:23 pm. Reason: additional info
Old 20 Sep 2012, 05:55 pm
Banned

Default Re: Does this make sense?

Yes.

Jerry
Old 20 Sep 2012, 05:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yup!

You got a good life out of that old battery!

Hey a 1 poster?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 Sep 2012, 06:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Yup!

Hey a 1 poster?
If you look at a lot of the problem posts, there's lots of 1 posters.

07Cruiserin MO, welcome to the forum.

As both answers above have said, YES it's the battery and your darn lucky it lasted this long. A low battery won't set a fault code, that's why there wasn't any warning. If the alternator has problems, that will set a fault code and turn on a light. Luckily, you had one of the easiest fixes that there is and next time a problem pops up, come here first. We could have told you that the clicking when you turned the key was the first sign of a dead or dying battery. We don't charge shop hours either.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 06:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

I dunno, just Monday I had a trusted dealer friend test mine, which was installed new in '07.... he promised its strong as ever..... am I allowing for pulled pork here?
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 07:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

07Cruiserin MO has 140,000 miles. How's that compare to your 90,000? That's probably a heck a lot more starts plus we don't know the circumstances of where the car was in relation to outside storage, how many thousands of short trips, all kinds of things that make one battery go bad and the same kind of battery last a lot longer. So just because one goes bad, doesn't mean others will last or not last.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 07:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

You forgot too that all things Canadian are generally superior...
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 08:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Old 20 Sep 2012, 09:04 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: Does this make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
You forgot too that all things Canadian are generally superior...
Cool, where can I buy a Canadian car, oh wait, never mind