Advertisements
Quick coolant question.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pluminator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2012, 12:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Quick coolant question.

So last time my coolant was flushed, sadly hoat was mixed with the green stuff.

So i've made an apt at a big name service center to have it powerflushed to get everything out.

Only thing is they said they dont carry HOAT......they carry universal which according to them is compatible with all makes and models.

Should i let them dump this stuff in there? Or should i just buy some zerex and bring it with me?

if so how many gallons do i need?
Old 21 Sep 2012, 12:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Quick coolant question.

This seems to be a long debate around many forums not just PT specific. There is some evidence that some Anti-freeze may work better in systems then other's? No one supplier has publicly stated absolute about this and has generally left it up to the end user to decide. However it is a technically correct NOT to mix antifreeze unless it states the compatibility information. You have mentioned your concerns and information acquired about PT's to the shop. If your trusted service shop is recommending their supplies to you then feel confident they know what they are doing. Why else would you have gone to them in the first place?

Now if you excuse me.......

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Sep 2012, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

One of many good informational about antifreeze?

http://www.recycool.net/index.php?op...acts&Itemid=10

Antifreeze Types

Automotive antifreeze/coolant is made of ethylene glycol, water, and a chemical additive package. For many years, there was only one type of antifreeze on the market, conventional green. Antifreeze technology, however, has become significantly more complex in the last several years with the introduction of Dexcool and other extended life antifreeze formulas. There are three main types of antifreeze on the market. They all contain an ethylene glycol base, water, dye and an additive package. Colored dye is added for leak detection and is not a reliable way of identifying coolant type. The additive package is what makes them different.

Conventional green antifreeze formulations usually contain a number of inorganic corrosion inhibitors that provide immediate corrosion protection because they maintain the pH of the solution (buffer it), but are consumed or transformed chemically as they perform their functions. As the coolant is heated and cooled, and exposed to air, the components of the conventional antifreeze additive package are depleted over time. This causes the pH to drop, and is why the coolant should be changed out every two years or 24,000 miles.
Dexcool-type extended life coolants use organic acid technology to inhibit corrosion, and are referred to as OAT based coolants. OAT antifreezes are touted as having longer potential service life than conventional antifreezes because of the fact that the components in the additive package are not chemically consumed as they perform their function of inhibiting corrosion. The chemicals used in the OAT type formulas protect metals from corrosion by forming a thin, molecular coating on them, and because of this, are not as fast acting as conventional inorganic formulas. However, as long as the cooling system is kept sufficiently full and coolant is not lost due to leakage nor diluted by top-off with water or conventional antifreeze, it will continue to function properly. Unfortunately, if the cooling system is not properly maintained, a “red muck” is likely to form and could cause serious cooling system problems.
The third type of antifreeze on the market today is the hybrid OAT, known as HOAT (or G O-5). One of the primary problems with OAT formulations is that they are not compatible with conventional antifreezes. The chemicals used in OAT antifreeze react to some extent with some of the inorganic salts and other components in conventional antifreeze. The result of this interaction is the generation of cloudiness and precipitates. HOAT formulations are called hybrid because the additive package contains ingredients from both OAT and conventional formulas and is compatible with both.
Hybrid OAT antifreezes provide both fast acting and extended life corrosion protection, eliminate the problem of anti- freeze compatibility, and therefore are compatible with all types and colors of antifreeze.
Unfortunately, many automotive professionals consider all extended life antifreeze to be “Dexcool” and associate all the problems related to “Dexcool” with both OAT and HOAT formulas. The result of this misconception is often replacing the extended life coolant with conventional green. Industry experts say that this can be done safely if all of the green antifreeze is removed from the system. However, auto manufacturers recommend specific formulations and replacing the factory fill coolant with a different type that doesn’t meet the manufacturer’s specifications could cause liability issues down the road. A much safer solution is to replace OAT systems with HOAT coolant which meets OAT specifications.

In the Cooling System
Regardless of the type of antifreeze used, the additive package will eventually break down and cease to provide adequate corrosion protection. The antifreeze will also pick up contaminants from the engine cooling system. In other words, antifreeze wears out and gets dirty. The service life for conventional green antifreeze is 2 years or 24,000 miles, and for OAT and HOAT is 5 years or 150,000 miles, and the manufacturers recommend fluid replacement at these intervals. However, although the antifreeze loses its corrosion protection and picks up contaminants, the ethylene glycol base does not break down and remains intact. In other words, the ethylene glycol retains its ability to lower the freeze point and raise the boiling point of the solution. This simple fact is the basis for the antifreeze recycling industry

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Sep 2012, 12:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks for the Replies. I think im gonna just tote some zerex with me :-D only because i'm lazy and like the 5 year thing instead of 2 haha
Old 21 Sep 2012, 12:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good Idea!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Sep 2012, 01:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Good Idea!
after all i am paying $105!!!!! for this machine powered flush. so i may as well put what I WANT into my car :-D
cruserdad1976 likes this.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 07:53 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Don't worry...the mix of conventional (green) and HOAT didn't do any damage (as stated in the excellent post by Nitro).

Take along a gallon...should be enough for a 50/50 mix according to the repair manual.

Last edited by Carl48; 22 Sep 2012 at 07:57 am.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 09:22 am
Senior Cruiser

One factor that adds to the confusion for the car owner, the trained monkeys at the quick-lube and even experienced mechanics is the labeling on the HOAT coolant product most likely won't have "HOAT" marked on the label. Instead there is a code or number designation used to indicate it meets the car manufacturer's specs. This is why you will often get a blank look if you ask for HOAT at an auto parts store or service department.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Don't worry...the mix of conventional (green) and HOAT didn't do any damage (as stated in the excellent post by Nitro).

Take along a gallon...should be enough for a 50/50 mix according to the repair manual.
oh it did! well not damage but it gunked up. I went to drain some because it was running cool.......so i figured i would add a bit more water to the mix.

Well what came out of the drain looked like baby poop with water added......hoat plus napa green......makes sludge haha hence the power flush.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 12:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
One factor that adds to the confusion for the car owner, the trained monkeys at the quick-lube and even experienced mechanics is the labeling on the HOAT coolant product most likely won't have "HOAT" marked on the label. Instead there is a code or number designation used to indicate it meets the car manufacturer's specs. This is why you will often get a blank look if you ask for HOAT at an auto parts store or service department.
Yeah even the guys at NAPA had no idea what "hoat" was.....no clue until i said zerex or dex? then they said "ohhhhhhh" haha