PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT - Engine mount replacement needed with Oil pan replacement?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2012, 07:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT - Engine mount replacement needed with Oil pan replacement?

I am new to this forum - Own a 2001 PT (non-turbo) with 82K.

Just got back from the Mechanic (Dealer) and have this feeling that I have been taken ...

Had a cracked Oil Pan (crack near top of pan, causing drips mostly when parked). The dealer had ordered the part, and did the replacement today. When I went to pick-up the car, I was informed that they had to change the Engine Mount "because the new pan does not work with the existing mount" and that "the new mount has a cut-out to accomodate the new pan". Long story short they replaced the engine mount as well (additional cost about $120) Total cost $570.

Does this make any sense?

Thanks
Old 21 Sep 2012, 08:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT - Engine mount replacement needed with Oil pan replacement?

NO.
wwpptc likes this.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 21 Sep 2012, 09:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badglas View Post
NO.
XXXX2, Mounts no were near the pan. No new style mount.
wwpptc likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Sep 2012, 10:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

can you take a picture of the oilpan and a pic of the engine mount? the engine mount you can easily take a picture of by looking in front of the front right tire, looking into the wheel well opening. should look like new with untorn rubber

i'm curious to see what they did.. i'd bet they used an oilpan off of a different mopar car. i do not understand why they would modify a mount to fit though.

i've bought cars that had wrong parts before. i had a prelude with an acura v6 suv thermostat housing. in order for me to replace it, i tipped the kid at vatozone to go through all the boxes and find one that looked the same. i've bought a ford 5.0 with a different oil pan and pickup than what fits a mustang, most likely came from a van. i had a civic with a ford TPS sensor grafted onto it, etc.

are you sure the old oil pan was even cracked? mine leaks just fine with no cracks.

Last edited by rob342; 22 Sep 2012 at 01:03 pm.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 12:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hate to tell you. you were 100% ripped off.

I have done MANY engine mounts on 2.4 neons/pts and everything else that has a 2.4...............i've even lost my entire life over a engine mount on a 2.4 *broken neck*............i know them well ;-)

i've always had at least 5-6 inches rearward clearance from the lower mount to the front of the pan. i have NEVER seen one come anywhere NEAR the pan.

I would lift the car, take a picture and then sue the pants off of that jackal who calls himself a mechanic.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 12:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
Hate to tell you. you were 100% ripped off.

I have done MANY engine mounts on 2.4 neons/pts and everything else that has a 2.4...............i've even lost my entire life over a engine mount on a 2.4 *broken neck*............i know them well ;-)

i've always had at least 5-6 inches rearward clearance from the lower mount to the front of the pan. i have NEVER seen one come anywhere NEAR the pan.

I would lift the car, take a picture and then sue the pants off of that jackal who calls himself a mechanic.
i just ran out and measured. my lower right engine mount is only 25/32" from the oilpan. what do you mean?
Old 22 Sep 2012, 12:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i just ran out and measured. my lower right engine mount is only 25/32" from the oilpan. what do you mean?
Im sorry i confused the right front with the bar front on a neon :-)

still 25/32 is clear. I mean if you had 1 inch overhang past..........i still see no reason for replacing the mount.

But why replace it? why not just remove it, then re-install it if it were even in the way.

to me....something smells fishy. I did my oil pan gasket last month on my 03 base and never had to remove a single mount.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all your responses - I will be able to check the car tomorrow to see if the oil pan looks new, and if the mount looks new. In the meantime here is more information from the bill: (The car is a 2001 PT - non turbo, with 82K miles)

Parts:
4884385AE - PAN-ENGINE OIL
4884000AA - GASKET-OIL FILTER ADAPTER
4777994AE - GASKET-OIL PAN

The above were special ordered two weeks back
The additional part (engine mount) below was added yesterday

5274903AD - BRACKET - TORQUE REACTION

The invoice has the following note on it

"INSTALLED THE NEW OIL PAN - NEEDED TO REPLACE A MOTOR MOUNT - IT IS A UPDATED MOUNT THAT NEEDED TO BE REPLACED WITH THIS NEW PAN"

Can anybody verify if these are correct (or even valid) parts?

Again, thanks for all your responses.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 01:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanPT View Post
Thanks for all your responses - I will be able to check the car tomorrow to see if the oil pan looks new, and if the mount looks new. In the meantime here is more information from the bill: (The car is a 2001 PT - non turbo, with 82K miles)

Parts:

"INSTALLED THE NEW OIL PAN - NEEDED TO REPLACE A MOTOR MOUNT - IT IS A UPDATED MOUNT THAT NEEDED TO BE REPLACED WITH THIS NEW PAN"

they are all the correct parts.

the "4884000AA - GASKET-OIL FILTER ADAPTER" should have been reused. they sold you a new one instead

the mount is the correct mount and probably was torn and in need of replacement. they always tear on these cars.

the mount should have been up to you though, and there is no reason you should have been forced to buy a new oil filter adapter. it's reusable. im surprised they didnt sell you new bolts too

Last edited by rob342; 22 Sep 2012 at 01:52 pm.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 01:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanPT View Post

Parts:

The oil pan, adapter, and pan gasket are 03 part numbers. Not sure what the difference is between an 01 pan and an 03 pan, but I see no way that it would interfere with the lower torque strut.

The torque strut is also an 03 part number.

Something still doesn't sound right.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)

Tags
engine mount, oil pan