Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2012, 12:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating Issue

A couple of weeks ago my 2003 Turbo PT 62k miles overheated and I subsequently had it looked at by Pep Boys where they determined there was a leak at the gasket near the thermostat. A coolant system check was done, they replaced the thermostat and radiator cap, flushed the system and put new coolant in it and supposedly checked all fuses, fans, etc.

Last week after not using the car much, I drove about 30 miles to have it overheat again once I was close to my destination. I had been running my air conditioning at this time as well. There was the boiling/gurgling noise that I had heard when it originally overheated the first time. I let it cool down and returned home without the A/C on and it did not overheat again. A quick trip to an auto part store and I got a new radiator cap since the one they put on it was a lower psi and I wanted to rule that out based on what I had read on various forums.

It seems that the radiator fan is working intermittently and I had someone look at it and also run the codes which it popped back with a 1490 error code- low speed radiator fan. The person that looked at it also showed me a wire that looks like it has been burnt that he said runs to the fan and is connected to the battery. I know nothing about cars and feel that I've been screwed the few times I have taken it in to Pep Boys since nothing ever seems to quite be fixed. At any rate, could this wire that is burnt be shorting out and causing the problem with the fan? Is there a sensor that may also be causing this issue? Lastly, if the fan motor itself were going out, would it cause the intermittent problems with the low fan itself?

I'm afraid to drive it long distances but haven't had any problems with short distances or it idling for 15 mins or more. Where I live it regularly gets over 110 degrees which I know doesn't help matters either. The gentleman who looked at it and pointed out the wire and read the codes was supposed to do a more in depth check of the car but I have not heard back from him and would like to be a bit more prepared if I take it to a shop or have someone else look at it. Or heck, maybe there is something I can do to fix it myself. Any help is greatly appreciated and I apologize if this topic has been covered before. I have skimmed the forums and while there are numerous problems with the PT overheating, it's all greek to me.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 12:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating Issue

Could very easily be that wire. The low speed cools the engine when it needs extra cooling.

Could also be the fan motor, or the harness for the wiring.

Take it to a Chrysler dealer and have them take a look, probably cost you $30 to have the wire replaced, and if not at least youll know the root cause.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 01:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't have the schematic for the Turbo but it shouldn't be that much different from the N/A. There is NO wire from the fan to the battery. Somebody put that one in and screwed up to now it's just a burnt wire. The fan should stay on ALL the time once you have the A/C going, no intermittent about it.

The person who is working on the car now, hopefully he has an OBDII scanner and can run the fan on all speeds to check it out. It also checks the sensors, relays and computer.

The bad part is, that the 2003 Turbo PT has a unique fan, different than any other year. It's been covered here on a couple of different threads. Since it's unique, it cost a bunch more than the normal fan.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 01:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I don't have the schematic for the Turbo but it shouldn't be that much different from the N/A. There is NO wire from the fan to the battery. Somebody put that one in and screwed up to now it's just a burnt wire. The fan should stay on ALL the time once you have the A/C going, no intermittent about it.

The person who is working on the car now, hopefully he has an OBDII scanner and can run the fan on all speeds to check it out. It also checks the sensors, relays and computer.

The bad part is, that the 2003 Turbo PT has a unique fan, different than any other year. It's been covered here on a couple of different threads. Since it's unique, it cost a bunch more than the normal fan.
You sir!......are 100% correct!. i need to spend more time around my fan......but it works fine so i dont need to yet haha
Old 22 Sep 2012, 01:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
You sir!......are 100% correct!. i need to spend more time around my fan......but it works fine so i dont need to yet haha
Good idea, leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.