Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Cruiser sputtering while cold?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2012, 01:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Cruiser sputtering while cold?

I just get a 2001 cruiser, I have had it in three shops and have not been able to isolate problem. I have replaced the cam and crank sensor, coil pack, wires & plugs. I have heard many different opinions but would like some next step advice. I beleive the cam/crank sensors might not have been mopar and that could be the propblem? The car seems to run great on the highway and good when its warmed up. The chugging/sputtering problem mainly exist when trying to get over 35 miles per hour. When you nurs it and let off the accelerator it seems to shift or do better. Another very odd discovery is that the car is an automatic and regardless of if I put the car in 1st or second gear it always is in drive. I am not sure if this could be someone put the wrong trany fluid in the car or if it is something more severe? Could these two problems be related? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 01:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Cruiser sputtering while cold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I just get a 2001 cruiser, I have had it in three shops and have not been able to isolate problem. I have replaced the cam and crank sensor, coil pack, wires & plugs. I have heard many different opinions but would like some next step advice. I beleive the cam/crank sensors might not have been mopar and that could be the propblem? The car seems to run great on the highway and good when its warmed up. The chugging/sputtering problem mainly exist when trying to get over 35 miles per hour. When you nurs it and let off the accelerator it seems to shift or do better. Another very odd discovery is that the car is an automatic and regardless of if I put the car in 1st or second gear it always is in drive. I am not sure if this could be someone put the wrong trany fluid in the car or if it is something more severe? Could these two problems be related? Any advice would be appreciated.

If the sensors were not MOPAR i would start there.

Could also be the Idle Air Controller, or just older coolant that forces the engine to work harder to warm up.

However you should always use mopar for most electrical :-)