Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Two-Speed fan testing sans wires.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Sep 2012, 12:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Two-Speed fan testing sans wires.

I suspected the low speed of the two-speed fan in my wife's 2003 Limited PT was not working, so I tried a method that works--without wiring the fan leads up directly to the battery.

You need to do this when the engine is stone cold because in that case the fan may come on simply because the engine needs cooling. I'll explain:

Open and prop up the hood. Start up your cold (sitting all night) engine and immediately turn on the A/C. Look at your fan blades. They should be spinning--even with the engine cold--simply because when you turn on your A/C, the low speed comes on every time. Also, you can hear the fan a little at low speed and feel the slight rush of air if you carefully put your hand between the fan housing and the engine (MAKE SURE YOUR HAND IS AWAY FROM THE FAN OPENING).

Testing the high speed is also easy. Just go for a nice drive to heat up the engine nice and toasty, turn on your A/C and open the hood (after you pull over, of course). Let the fan cycle until you hear the High Speed of the fan kick on. It's MUCH louder than the low speed, so don't be putting your hand near the fan opening. It's entirely unnecessary. If you hear this loud whirring sound, your high speed works also.

Tim
Old 23 Sep 2012, 02:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Two-Speed fan testing sans wires.

Tim,

I've been spouting both ways (A/C when cold and wires to Battery) for awhile now.

Also awhile ago, someone posted a thread with fan speeds and when they turn on. That thread said that the high speed fan comes on with the A/C and I disagreed because I've tried it (A/C when cold) and always the fan came on low speed. So, there's some confusion as to which speed come on (when hot or cold) when the A/C is turned on. I still say it's like what you just posted, low when it's cold.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 04:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Crewzin, I just tested it out this morning, and what I put in the post is just how it went down.

I believe that the high speed in our fans is for when the engine temperature calls for it, and has nothing to do with cooling the A/C condensor (and high-side pressure). Low speed is apparently required to cool the A/C condenser from the moment the A/C is turned on--whether your engine is warm, or not.

Now when both speeds shut off is another matter. Some say 35 mph; some say 44 mph. It really makes no difference when it shuts off, anyway. I can't change it the air speed specs, after all.

Tim
Old 23 Sep 2012, 05:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I believe you Tim and I agree with it all. That's how it was with mine also. It's just that somebody posted a chart from somewhere that said the high speed fan comes on with the A/C, even when cold and I disagreed with the chart.

I'll go back aways and see if i can find that chart.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 08:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well, the chart can say what it will. I know the difference between low and high speed on my two-speed fan. Low speed is just enough to blow a little. High speed is a very noticable--somewhat loud--whirring that is easy to recognize ... once you know the difference--as most Cruisers know.

This morning when I started the engine (it was cold), only the low fan speed came on. I could have let the engine idle for a while to make the high speed come on, but I was already aware that my high speed was working well.

I wanted to check the low speed, by the way, because when we went to the movies yesterday and the movie got out, I turned on my engine and the A/C immediately after starting the engine, and the idle seemed a little worried. Not much, but enough to make me suspect the low speed from my fan was possibly not working well. At the stoplights and stop signs on the way home, the idle seemed normal, though.

Tim
Old 23 Sep 2012, 08:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Tim,

Here's the thread with the information that I was talking about. The chart says with A/C = LOW None, HI 180 degrees.

At what temps does the fan come on?