PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery driving me crazy. Where to start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Sep 2012, 03:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Battery driving me crazy. Where to start?

Hi:

I have an EU 2.2 Diesel Limited PT from 2005. Itīs in mint condition with 85.000 KM but the battery is driving me crazy. I've seen some older threads and as they seem to pinpoint precise problems I'd like to have some guidance on where to start and which path to follow. The symptoms are:

About a year ago the battery went dead. I thought it was simply an old battery problem. So I bought a new one (here in Spain is 400 US dollars :-( )

Used it fine with no problems and then left the car without using it for about 3 weeks. When I wanted to start it afterwards, it was dead again. I supposed the kid left a door open and the lights, etc... Charged the battery again (it was 2 or 3 month old, the Mopar OEM one) and then started normally but runs out after 3 days sitting still.

My car has lots of "custom" stuff made by the old owner: an alarm system, and a Blaukpunt CD changer and navigator and a Parrot Bluetooth Handsfree.

I suspect the problem is with something like that (aftermarket stuff) but I'm not sure. Then today I've repeated the test but the car was almost 8 month sitting there with the battery removed. Started after charging it externally and gave it a 30 minutes trip when I started to smell battery gases (my PT has it under the passenger's seat. Then I heard boiling noise and the battery got REALLY HOT. Parked it an itīs there sitting waiting for me to figure this out :-)

Any ideas on where to start? Can the battery being "damaged" by the car so itīs boiling? Or is it boiling because something's really wrong with the car?

Can you point me to any troubleshooting steps?

Thanks a lot!
Old 24 Sep 2012, 09:46 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Battery driving me crazy. Where to start?

Wow yeah that's bad! I'm no expert but if it was starting to boil that would have to be because it was overcharging. Did you ever check the battery with a DVOM in the past?

At idle it should be between 13 to 14 volts I belive? Maybe at some point in the past the battery was not being charged, hence going dead and now it's being overchaged,hence a boiling battery.

Alternator/voltage regulator is the issue at this point. That's what you need to have checked out and you need to dump that battery, I don't think it's safe to use it anymore.

Good luck!