PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Phantom drain/dead battery issue

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Sep 2012, 12:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Phantom drain/dead battery issue

Gosh, I love my PT, but these problems are becoming ridiculous! This time it's the battery.

About two weeks ago, I went outside in the afternoon after not driving my car since the evening before, and noticed my fog lights were on. I hadn't turned them on the previous evening while driving, and didn't notice them on when I got out of the car, either. Battery was dead, of course, and a neighbor jumped it. Another neighbor loaned me a charger to put on it overnight just as a precaution, and all was well the next day. Three days later (after it started/worked fine every day in the meantime), I discovered it dead again. And by dead, I mean nothing...no clicks, no attempt to turn over. Another neighbor jumped it, and I took it straight to Advance, where I'd gotten the battery in January 2010. They checked everything, and found the alternator was fine, but the battery tested poorly, so they installed a new one for me for free (thank heavens).

Again, all was well for the next week...no issues. Yesterday morning, leaving for church, I came outside to another completely dead battery. After a jump from a third neighbor (I have the BEST neighbors!), I went right to Advance, since I figured it was a battery problem, perhaps with the install. During testing, the battery was 100%, and so was the alternator; they decided to test for a phantom drain. We tried everything from interior lights to the door locks, and they found that the amps being drawn on the battery were significantly higher when I locked the door from outside the car.

Their conclusion was that the issue was with the security system, and that it was draining the battery during long hours (i.e. overnight) after locking the door remotely. Okay, fine, I can lock the doors by hand and bypass the security system...annoying, but no problem. Then I got home and spent several hours inside, until I got a knock on my door from a neighbor to let me know that my fog lights were on (and yes, the battery was dead). Now, I *know* for an absolute fact that I didn't use them, nor did I see the dash light as I got out. That makes two dead batteries due to fog lights, and two where no fog lights were involved. This is seriously "what the hell?" time.

So...what do you think? Has anyone encountered this before? Is this a slow decay of my computer system? Could the multi-purpose stalk where I turn on the fog lights have a bad connection? I'm going crazy here. Help!
Old 24 Sep 2012, 12:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Phantom drain/dead battery issue

First question is do you have fog lights?
Old 24 Sep 2012, 12:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

This is what I would do. Take either the fog light fuse or the security system fuse one at a time. So probably take 2 days to test. Take one out. Keave it out overnight. If the next morning your battery is dead. Take the other one out and out the first one back in. Again wait over night. You should be able to find out which is causing the battery drain for sure. That way there's no guessing. But I have no idea about the foglights. Id probably say its your multifunction switch.
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 24 Sep 2012, 12:42 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

IMO you hava a bad multifunction switch
cruserdad1976 likes this.
Old 24 Sep 2012, 12:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
IMO you hava a bad multifunction switch
Aww man your jumping the gun! We don't know if he has Fog Lights...but yeah that's where I was going!

Soo if you have Fog Lights pull the #8 fuse, if it's in there.
Old 24 Sep 2012, 01:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

He said in his original post that he had fog lights.
Old 24 Sep 2012, 01:08 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty1120 View Post
Gosh, I love my PT, but these problems are becoming ridiculous! This time it's the battery.

About two weeks ago, I went outside in the afternoon after not driving my car since the evening before, and noticed my fog lights were on. I hadn't turned them on the previous evening while driving, and didn't notice them on when I got out of the car, either. Battery was dead, of course, and a neighbor jumped it. Another neighbor loaned me a charger to put on it overnight just as a precaution, and all was well the next day. Three days later (after it started/worked fine every day in the meantime), I discovered it dead again. And by dead, I mean nothing...no clicks, no attempt to turn over. Another neighbor jumped it, and I took it straight to Advance, where I'd gotten the battery in January 2010. They checked everything, and found the alternator was fine, but the battery tested poorly, so they installed a new one for me for free (thank heavens).

Again, all was well for the next week...no issues. Yesterday morning, leaving for church, I came outside to another completely dead battery. After a jump from a third neighbor (I have the BEST neighbors!), I went right to Advance, since I figured it was a battery problem, perhaps with the install. During testing, the battery was 100%, and so was the alternator; they decided to test for a phantom drain. We tried everything from interior lights to the door locks, and they found that the amps being drawn on the battery were significantly higher when I locked the door from outside the car.

Their conclusion was that the issue was with the security system, and that it was draining the battery during long hours (i.e. overnight) after locking the door remotely. Okay, fine, I can lock the doors by hand and bypass the security system...annoying, but no problem. Then I got home and spent several hours inside, until I got a knock on my door from a neighbor to let me know that my fog lights were on (and yes, the battery was dead). Now, I *know* for an absolute fact that I didn't use them, nor did I see the dash light as I got out. That makes two dead batteries due to fog lights, and two where no fog lights were involved. This is seriously "what the hell?" time.

So...what do you think? Has anyone encountered this before? Is this a slow decay of my computer system? Could the multi-purpose stalk where I turn on the fog lights have a bad connection? I'm going crazy here. Help!

He has foglights
Old 24 Sep 2012, 01:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Awkward!
XtrmDC2 likes this.
Old 24 Sep 2012, 02:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well maybe a little btu we ahve all been there some of us go there daily

bad MFS there is a sticky on how to fix and or replace it in the tec notes
Old 24 Sep 2012, 03:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

MFS replacement! And the guys say you dont need to pull the Steering Wheel!

Replace Multifunction Switch w/fog lamps

Last edited by Chip18sw; 24 Sep 2012 at 03:50 pm.