Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating when engine turned off !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2012, 12:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating when engine turned off !

My 2003 PT Cruiser is running fine apart from occasionally I notice bubbling inside top radiator hose when I stop and turn engine off at end of journey.
Does not happen immediately but after about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Car has never overheated or gone above mid level on temp gauge when running.
When this occurs and I turn ignition 'on' and notice that temp gauge settles in mid level !.

Occasionally fan kicks in when running and stuck in traffic, as it should.

Not losing any coolant.

I notice that the cooling system has the most stupid design and is troublesome to try and expel air. I wonder whether a small amount of air is trapped and is causing this my problem ?.

Do not want to cause a head gasket or other issue.

Anyone experienced similar or has the answer...........
Old 25 Sep 2012, 01:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating when engine turned off !

Open the cap on your reservoir tank and look inside; that's where the bubbling is most likely coming from.

Sounds like coolant isn't circulating properly but it should be an easy fix. Ton of people on here have experienced heating problems (my friend included who's PT I fixed) and you'll be surprised how easy the fix was.

When's the last time you replaced your thermostat? If you replace it, make sure the tiny 'notch' is lined up within the thermostat housing. Also, make sure your radiator cap is good (check the rubber seal/gasket for cracking inside the cap).

One more thing; turn the car on and turn on your A/C. Your fan should come on immediately. Non-turbo PT's have a high-speed and low-speed fan setting, and it isn't uncommon for one of those speeds to stop working.