PT Cruiser Forum  
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Engine overheating?

 
Like Tree3Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 27 Sep 2012, 03:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hungary
Posts: 44
Default Engine overheating?

In this January I bought a 2.0 DOHC PT with engine failure (over heated). I replaced that engine with another in very good condition and low mileage.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1032201...CruiserProject

I also rebuilt the automatic transmission and finally made some tests on the car. First by running the engine without moving the car. There was not any problem.

Later I made some small test trips in our street without any failure. Finally I made longer trips in our village for about half an hour long. Everything seemed to be OK, but after arriving at home the car standed a bit with running engine in front of the garage and the coolant started to boil.

It was interesting, because the coolant temp indicator stayed at one stick under the half (also during the test drive before)

The water started to overflow in the coolant reservoir.

I started to analyse the situation. The engine oil was clear and at the former level. In this summer I replaced the timing belt, coolant pump, thermostat and many other engine parts. I bought only good quality products. The thermostat was built in correctly (I verified it today again). The coolant liquid contains about 80% distilled water during the tests, but later I wanted to replace it with better quality coolant liquid. The air conditioning system is not gas-filled yet.

Now I am wondering - what can be the reason for this ?? Could anyone give me some tips?

Could anyone tell me if there is "officially" a cap or valve on the coolant reservoir on the end of the spill way - that I marked with red color?

http://lanciak.hu/coolant.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27 Sep 2012, 04:20 pm
Badglas's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 470
Default Re: Engine overheating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
In this January I bought a 2.0 DOHC PT with engine failure (over heated). I replaced that engine with another in very good condition and low mileage.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1032201...CruiserProject

I also rebuilt the automatic transmission and finally made some tests on the car. First by running the engine without moving the car. There was not any problem.

Later I made some small test trips in our street without any failure. Finally I made longer trips in our village for about half an hour long. Everything seemed to be OK, but after arriving at home the car standed a bit with running engine in front of the garage and the coolant started to boil.

It was interesting, because the coolant temp indicator stayed at one stick under the half (also during the test drive before)

The water started to overflow in the coolant reservoir.

I started to analyse the situation. The engine oil was clear and at the former level. In this summer I replaced the timing belt, coolant pump, thermostat and many other engine parts. I bought only good quality products. The thermostat was built in correctly (I verified it today again). The coolant liquid contains about 80% distilled water during the tests, but later I wanted to replace it with better quality coolant liquid. The air conditioning system is not gas-filled yet.

Now I am wondering - what can be the reason for this ?? Could anyone give me some tips?

Could anyone tell me if there is "officially" a cap or valve on the coolant reservoir on the end of the spill way - that I marked with red color?

http://lanciak.hu/coolant.jpg
Very nice work. Are you sure it's not air-locked? Even if you bled the system, it might still have air in the system. The symptoms sure fit.

Ron
__________________
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Auto Stock

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27 Sep 2012, 04:26 pm
CREWZIN's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 23,978
Default Re: Engine overheating?

No, there's no cap on the end of that overflow tube, maybe a black hose that should let any overflow be directed to the ground.

Have you checked the operation of the fan? The U.S. PT Cruisers have a problem with (usually) the low speed part of the fan. The brushes in the fan motor burn out so that only leaves one speed.

Also, are you burping the coolant system of any excess air when you filled it up? Air trapped in the coolant system will lower the boiling point of the system and allow for overheating.

Ron, beat me to that point....slow typing (hunt and peck kind of guy).
__________________
......
...just CREWZIN along! . . . PT Cruiser Links Moderator
2000 PT. Original Owner, 118,000 miles
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27 Sep 2012, 04:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hungary
Posts: 44
Default Re: Engine overheating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badglas View Post
Very nice work. Are you sure it's not air-locked? Even if you bled the system, it might still have air in the system. The symptoms sure fit.

Ron
Thanks for the tip - I think, that my coolant system is not air-locked, but maybe I was not accurate enough.. I will try it once again !
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 27 Sep 2012, 04:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hungary
Posts: 44
Default Re: Engine overheating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
No, there's no cap on the end of that overflow tube, maybe a black hose that should let any overflow be directed to the ground.

Have you checked the operation of the fan? The U.S. PT Cruisers have a problem with (usually) the low speed part of the fan. The brushes in the fan motor burn out so that only leaves one speed.

Also, are you burping the coolant system of any excess air when you filled it up? Air trapped in the coolant system will lower the boiling point of the system and allow for overheating.

Ron, beat me to that point....slow typing (hunt and peck kind of guy).
Thank you for the answer? Do the PTs fitted with a black hose there? I worried a lot because of that point of the system - I think, that the water may damage the hot exhaust system under it..

I did not tested the fan yet. It can be a good idea, because I have never heard about this problem. But I think that, if the fan has a problem, then the coolant temperature indicator also must have a problem, because I don't think, that the fan must start to work at such a low temperature
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 27 Sep 2012, 04:58 pm
CREWZIN's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 23,978
Default Re: Engine overheating?

The fan was just a thought as the U.S. PT's do have a problem and many have had to replace the fan because of overheating.

The overflow tank on mine doesn't have the black rubber hose and yes, it also would overflow right over the exhaust. As you can see from the Haynes repair manual, the overflow tank does show the hose going into the tank as well as an overflow hose (vent hose) that would direct overflow onto the ground away from the exhaust.

__________________
......
...just CREWZIN along! . . . PT Cruiser Links Moderator
2000 PT. Original Owner, 118,000 miles
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 27 Sep 2012, 06:08 pm
Badglas's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 470
Default Re: Engine overheating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The fan was just a thought as the U.S. PT's do have a problem and many have had to replace the fan because of overheating.

The overflow tank on mine doesn't have the black rubber hose and yes, it also would overflow right over the exhaust. As you can see from the Haynes repair manual, the overflow tank does show the hose going into the tank as well as an overflow hose (vent hose) that would direct overflow onto the ground away from the exhaust.

Hey CREWZIN.

I have found some discrepencies on this just with the 2 PT's I have.

PT 1 is like yours, no drain hose. When I replaced it, the new one also had no hose, but the overflow spout is on the opposite side.

Pt 2 does have a hose attached to the overflow spout. I attached a pic of PT 2's reservoir. The hose from the T-stat fill neck enters on the lower left. The overflow exits top right.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 015.jpg (85.0 KB, 12 views)
__________________
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Auto Stock

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 27 Sep 2012, 07:59 pm
CREWZIN's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 23,978
Default Re: Engine overheating?

Guess it all depended on what day it went through the assembly line.
Badglas likes this.
__________________
......
...just CREWZIN along! . . . PT Cruiser Links Moderator
2000 PT. Original Owner, 118,000 miles
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 28 Sep 2012, 11:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Carson City NV
Posts: 572
Default Re: Engine overheating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Guess it all depended on what day it went through the assembly line.
Yep that! Mopars have'nt changed! They have a hard time with them at Concourse car shows, No over spray on parts, no gaps in the seams, correct interior parts..Dart steering wheels in Challengers etc.

They spoke to some of the workers from back then and he said yeah they would just use what ever they had on hand! The original cars were never assembled as accurately as some of the restored cars were! It's funny!

Anyway back on point...can the OP rent a coolent pressure tester from an auto store over there? See if the system is holding pressure? Might not help but certainly can't help to test it.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 28 Sep 2012, 12:01 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 9,203
Default Re: Engine overheating?

Hey guys, could it be a faulty radiator cap? Didn't see anything about that being replaced.
__________________

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overheating when engine turned off ! scottc123fish Tech & Performance Forum 1 25 Sep 2012 01:35 pm
engine overheating after fixing or rplacing everything 69daytona Tech & Performance Forum 9 25 Jul 2012 09:17 am
Engine Overheating Issue norm123 Tech & Performance Forum 5 06 Jul 2012 10:44 am
Engine overheating + P0551 = belt issue? crackdtooth Tech & Performance Forum 0 20 Jul 2010 09:31 pm
Engine overheating, Stuck in "Limp mode" showing codes 0188,1490,&1495 Manny Tech & Performance Forum 4 08 Apr 2009 05:39 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors