Advertisements
High idle after spark plug change

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By soyomb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2012, 11:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default High idle after spark plug change

My name is Tim and I've used the forums here for research several times and always found great info and tips but I haven't been able to find anything here that really answers my current question. I changed the spark plugs and wires recently on my 2001 non-turbo Limited Edition PT, and after finishing the job the car is idling about 1500-2000rpm. I noticed that the PCV tubing had a hole in it near the manifold, so I replaced the PCV and the tubing. No change. I've checked for loose or damaged hoses, with no luck. Throttle cables are good, no kinks or sticking, everything was torqued properly after the spark plug change, so I'm down to thinking it's either the EGR gasket (which seemed to look okay) at the manifold or the IAC. Is it possible for either of those to cause a 750-1200 uptick in idle speed? Any other suggestions/ideas I might have missed?
Old 30 Sep 2012, 12:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: High idle after spark plug change

since you should have had to lift your intake manifold to get to the plugs and wires, i would check the manifold gaskets to see if one of em might have not seated properly, ie, a vacuum leak.

other than that, i would go with the iac. but if it idled ok before the tune-up, then it should be ok after.
CREWZIN likes this.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 07:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 09:31 am
Senior Cruiser

X3 on the manifold gaskets. You can check for a leak in the gasket by squriting a little light weight oil or simular product along the seam where the gasket is. If the idle settles back down for a moment, you have located your leak. It's possible for the gasket noodle to shift out of position when you bolt the halves back together if you don't pay close attention.

Another possibility is, with a car that old, one of the small rubber vacuum hoses could be hard, dried out and has cracked when the manifold was moved around. Inspect those and replace as needed.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
Another possibility is, with a car that old, one of the small rubber vacuum hoses could be hard, dried out and has cracked when the manifold was moved around. Inspect those and replace as needed.
OR, depending what year the PT is, there's 1 or 2 vacuum hoses attached to the upper manifold that might have become disconnected.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 10:52 am
Veteran Cruiser

make sure you plugged the iac and tps back in and the connecters are properly seated. they're hard to see and easy to overlook.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 11:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'll go back over everything again, but I'm still curious if the IAC could cause the higher idle speed, I'm inclined to think there has to be a vacuum leak somewhere. I'm just trying to rule out possibilities. Thanks.
Old 02 Oct 2012, 06:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Problem solved, went back over everything the other day before throwing parts at it and noticed there was an ever so slight gap between the two halves of the manifold assembly. One of the gaskets wasn't seated properly, so after correcting that all is right with the world. Thanks for the help guys.

Tags
egr, high idle, iac control