PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tranny Fluid leak :/ need some assistance

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2012, 07:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Exclamation Tranny Fluid leak :/ need some assistance

Hey everybody, how are u all? I recently discovered that I'm leaking trans fluid from the transfer gear cover that's to the right of the tranny oil pan just behind the driverside front tire and had a few questions. It appears that the gasket is failing causing the leak. That gasket is just rtv right? I bought some today and plan to tackle this Friday night. I'm gonna remove the bolts scrape off the old gasket and put the new gasket/rtv on there. Will this fix my issue? Also if I remove that cover will all the tranny fluid spill out? How much fluid is in our tranny, (ATX by the way) and lastly what kind of fluid does it take? Any help would be appreciated
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Old 02 Oct 2012, 08:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tranny Fluid leak :/ need some assistance

Yes the RTV will fix it. Clean both surfaces well can't have any old silicone or oils on the metal. Just snug the bolts and let it dry several hours before torking bolts or driving. You will lose some fluid not a huge amount. Use ATF4 only and fill hot and running till at the top full mark.
Badglas likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Oct 2012, 08:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Tranny Fluid leak :/ need some assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Yes the RTV will fix it. Clean both surfaces well can't have any old silicone or oils on the metal. Just snug the bolts and let it dry several hours before torking bolts or driving. You will lose some fluid not a huge amount. Use ATF4 only and fill hot and running till at the top full mark.
Ok thanks for the info I have ATF 4 fluid already but it's only a quart and its synthetic will that work? How much fluid can the tranny hold?
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Old 02 Oct 2012, 08:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksCruiser View Post
Ok thanks for the info I have ATF 4 fluid already but it's only a quart and its synthetic will that work? How much fluid can the tranny hold?
Hey Nick. ATF4 is synthetic, just what you need. After a filter change it takes about 5 qts to refill the trans. I don't know how much you will lose, as I've not done this repair before. I don't think it will be much as that cover is high on the trans. Good luck!

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 02 Oct 2012, 09:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Tranny Fluid leak :/ need some assistance

Thanks for the info bro, I'll let everyone kno how it goes.
Busted_PT and Badglas like this.
Old 03 Oct 2012, 05:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Smile Re: Tranny Fluid leak :/ need some assistance

Oh one more question after I remove all the old rtv what should I use to clean the surfaces with so that way their free of any oil or silicone before I put the new rtv on? Also do I just put rtv on the removed cover or do I put it on the tranny and cover?
Old 03 Oct 2012, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well i usr a wizzard and a green wheel it will really clean the surface but not cut inot the metal maybe a drill and a wire wheel??? a dremel tool with a sanding disk whatever you use do not eat into the metal or it will leak
Old 03 Oct 2012, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Break clean or lacquer thinner or other oil free solvents. Less is better. Run a small bead 1/8 or slightly bigger, on the cover loop around bolt holes..
NicksCruiser likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Oct 2012, 05:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Question Re: Tranny Fluid leak :/ need some assistance

I have break cleaner already just wipe it down with a rag? I Dnt need to use a dremmel tool with a wire disk do I?? I was just planning on using a razor blade to scrape off the old rtv, that should work as well correct?

Last edited by NicksCruiser; 03 Oct 2012 at 05:37 pm.
Old 03 Oct 2012, 05:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not if there is nothing stuck on anything. Wipe and make sure it's dry.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com