Advertisements
2001 PT overheating issues

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jokerjay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Oct 2012, 04:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT overheating issues

Ok so I have a 2001 PT, 105k, 2.4 l 5 speed, its been overheating..so in last 3 months I've replaced thermostat, water pump, fan relays, radiator cap, new coolant, and overflow tank, Started it up ran 15 minutes in driveway overheated flowing out of the side of the overflow tank, I shut it off, it was gurgling, I let it cool off, now nothing. When I check codes it only comes up with the P1684 cause I disconnected battery. There is no clicking no nothing. Fuel pump and PCM comes on but that is it. If Ihad to describe it simularities I would say car acts as if clutch isnt pressed in when starting. Ive also replaced timing change 89 miles ago, if that matters. I need to figure this out soon thanks...
Old 03 Oct 2012, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT overheating issues

Start checking your fuses. Your have two boxes full of them. One interior and one in the engine compartment.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Oct 2012, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok that I have started, but How do I test or check the ones underhood that are with the window/clear tops? Can I meter them? I have aslo checked the big block style ones ASD, starter relay and ignition by replacing each one with a spare one that I have..Sorry I am not a mechanic or electrical guru lol so I dont have proper names for them..I also check the control module that is under the dash pad by getting my factory remote to see if doors lock n unlock..if that proves it good then it is..its so mind boggling..could starter be bad or locked up? just spitballing
Old 03 Oct 2012, 07:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure how to check the ones with the clear tops. There should be a number system under the top of that fuse box. Look for the No#13 fuse because that's the ASD (Auto Shut Down) relay and will stop the car from starting.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Oct 2012, 07:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerjay View Post
Ok that I have started, but How do I test or check the ones underhood that are with the window/clear tops? Can I meter them? I have aslo checked the big block style ones ASD, starter relay and ignition by replacing each one with a spare one that I have..Sorry I am not a mechanic or electrical guru lol so I dont have proper names for them..I also check the control module that is under the dash pad by getting my factory remote to see if doors lock n unlock..if that proves it good then it is..its so mind boggling..could starter be bad or locked up? just spitballing
You can test the big fuses with an OHM meter. You can get a cheap one just about anywhere.

The starter could be hung in the flywheel, but very few things can cause that. The only one that comes to mind is the motor may be hydraulically locked. If the head is cracked or the gasket blown, it is possible for the cylinder to fill with anti-freeze.

You could try to turn the engine by hand to check for a locked starter or motor.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 03 Oct 2012, 07:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Does the PT have a closed cooling system? My Jeep had one and I had to make sure that I bled out all of the air or it would over heat.
Old 03 Oct 2012, 09:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks I will get busy tomorrow checking all your clues and I will post my results..I love this forum I always learn something new..stay tuned
and of course..Keep PT-ing around!!
Busted_PT and Chip18sw like this.