Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By mikelikestobike
  • 1 Post By Ray_Dockrey
  • 1 Post By DecoCruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2012, 09:29 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Fog light MFS vs. independent switch?

I plan to install fog lights in my 2007 Touring model which came from the dealership without them. Originally I intended to install the Mopar Fog Light Kit for the "integrated look" and the convenience of an all-in-one kit, and the factory functionality of having the fogs on the same switch as all the other lights.

But after reading all I could find on this forum, I'm having seconds thoughts, as I see many have had problems with the multifunction switch on their PT's, as well as fog lights that wont turn off, and drained batteries. (My current MFS is working quite fine, but it lacks the fog light switch).

Most of the posts I've read seem to relate to earlier model PT's, not the 2006-2010 models, so I'm not sure if this is something Chrysler corrected in later models?

So here's my question; Should I go with the Mopar fog light kit, (or something similar) or am I better off not messing with a working multifunction switch, and having the lights wired independent of the steering column MFS?

Also, what's the easiest way to check if my PT is already wired for fog lights?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Old 05 Oct 2012, 10:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fog light MFS vs. independent switch?

First, not all of the PT's have problems with the MFS. Mine's at 12 years and I use the fog lights all the time. MFS is still working fine. It's like the infamous front wheel bearings. A whole thread and loads of people responding saying they had problems also. I started a thread for those without problems and loads more responded. Don't forget your really only hearing from the ones that have problems with anything. People don't come to the forum and say, "my MFS is working fine, what's wrong?" 1,000,500,000 PT's built since 2000. You've seen what, 30 posts on MFS problems?

Of those that have replaced the MFS, Think I've only seen 1 that had a problem again. With the MFS, your get convenience of having the fogs at your finger tips plus a light on the dash to tell you when their on.
Enough of that.

Check where the fog lights are (or would be) and see if you have any extra wires around that area that aren't connected to anything. That would be the fog lights pre-wired. If no extra wires, it's not. simple as that.
DecoCruiser likes this.
Old 05 Oct 2012, 12:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

My '03 appeared to be wired for foglights - there was an unused light socket in the right areas afterall! I bought the light housing, put bulbs in and changed out the MFS... No go! So frustrating.

Turns out it was only partially wired for them. There is no place in the fusebox to push the fuse into! And doesn't seem to be any connections to the MFS...

I WILL get them working one of these days, I'm just going to wire them to a seperate switch. I put a wiring kit together years ago myself (on an old Jeep), wired it directly to the battery, lights and switch, but also wired part of the circuit to the radio on/ off which would only let it work when the car was on. (So I couldn't leave the lights on).

I thought it would be a no-brainer, but it didn't work for me.

Good luck
DecoCruiser likes this.
Old 05 Oct 2012, 12:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

With the install on the 06's and up the install is extremely easy if he wiring is there. I installed on my 09 in about a hour. There are no fuse to worry about or wiring to do.

Pull the trim plugs in the bumper and look and see if the plugs are there for the lights. Mine were clipped to the bumper. If so then you install the MFS which is a complete redesign of the 01-05, and install the lights. That's it. Except for one thing.

They are not going to work. You have to go to your dealer and have them turned on in the computer. My dealer did it for free. One dealer I called wanted $50. They is the only bad thing about the install on the 06's and up.

If you do decide to do the wiring yourself and wire in you own switch be very careful. Because the 06's and up use the Canbus system it is very easy to wreck havoc on the wiring and cause very big issues.
DecoCruiser likes this.
Old 05 Oct 2012, 08:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks all for the feedback. And thanks Crewzin for setting me straight on the MFS issue... I guess nobody goes to the emergency room just to tell the ER nurses they feel fine

And I shouldn't have let reports of a few bad switches scare me...
Through the fog, I see a new multifunction switch in my future...
CREWZIN likes this.

Old 06 Oct 2012, 11:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
1,000,500,000 PT's built since 2000.
A bit too many zeros.

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.
Old 06 Oct 2012, 11:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoCruiser View Post
Through the fog, I see a new multifunction switch in my future...
Now that's punny!

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.
Old 07 Oct 2012, 06:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenneK View Post
A bit too many zeros.

Ooooops Chrysler would have liked that number.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Oct 2012 at 06:55 am.
Old 07 Oct 2012, 10:35 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
With the install on the 06's and up the install is extremely easy if he wiring is there. I installed on my 09 in about a hour. There are no fuse to worry about or wiring to do.

Pull the trim plugs in the bumper and look and see if the plugs are there for the lights. Mine were clipped to the bumper. If so then you install the MFS which is a complete redesign of the 01-05, and install the lights. That's it. Except for one thing.

They are not going to work. You have to go to your dealer and have them turned on in the computer. My dealer did it for free. One dealer I called wanted $50. They is the only bad thing about the install on the 06's and up.

If you do decide to do the wiring yourself and wire in you own switch be very careful. Because the 06's and up use the Canbus system it is very easy to wreck havoc on the wiring and cause very big issues.
The Ray Man has the right information here, except this is true of the '01 through '05 also. The PCM has to be flashed to get the factory "kit" to function. I added the OEM fogs to my first Cruiser and that was what I had to do. I also added factory fogs to my wife's Grand Cherokee and had to have the dealer flash the PCM.

If you put in aftermarket fogs be sure to wire the switch to a relay and run fused power from the battery to the relay to the lights. You will be able to have the fogs remain on with the headlights on "High". With the factory set up the fogs cancel when the headlights are on High. This may be some sort of legal reason because EVERY factory fog kit is that way from all the manufacturers. I don't think anybody ever gets a ticket for that, so no big worry.

So the factory, OEM kit comes with the MFS and you get the indicator icon in the dash and a trip to the dealer. With an aftermarket kit you don't get or change the MFS but you should add a relay if they don't come with one. It's a subjective choice.

With my second Cruiser, which came with the factory fogs already, I eventually went with a custom front end that didn't have openings for fogs. I rigged up some big, round flamethrowers behind the billet grill and used the factory wire from the MFS to trigger a relay so I had the best of all the choices, the MFS, the dash indicator, low stress on the switch and custom lights with plenty of power.

Last edited by 2step; 07 Oct 2012 at 10:38 am.

Tags
fog lights, mfs, multifunction switch