Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
belt change....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2012, 11:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default belt change....

so at the beginnig of the year i am planning on having the belt replaced simce im almost at 90000 miles. i know that you may as well change out the starter, alternator, and water punp since they have to all come off anyway........BUT...

do i go the cheaper route and buy the parts from autozone, then have the dealership do the work? OR just have the dealership do the work with mopar parts? what have you all done? what do you figure a rough cost will be for the dealership to do it all would be?

thanks!
2005 N/A Pt Cruiser. K&N drop in, limo tint, MSD 8.5 wires, Champion Double Platinum #7570 plugs,
Old 06 Oct 2012, 12:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: belt change....

The only thing you replace is the water pump, timing belt and tensioner. None of that other stuff. The dealer won't use somebody else's parts. They will use Mopar parts and you will have a warranty on everything. My dealer wants $1400 to do the whole thing but that does include a loaner for the couple of days they will have it.
Old 06 Oct 2012, 06:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I took my own parts from RockAuto Auto Parts to the dealer. They charged $900. I also took a new serpentine and alternator belt since they've never been changed. All parts came to just under $300. The only thing that was 1/2 hour more in labor charge (plus the seal) was that he found the crank shaft seal leaking so he replaced that. As Ray said, no warranty on the parts I took to the dealer.
Old 06 Oct 2012, 07:25 am
Senior Cruiser

I would have never guessed a dealer would install somebody else's parts so I apologize for that wrong info. I will have to see if mine will but I like the idea of having the one year or 12000 mile parts and labor warranty.
Old 06 Oct 2012, 09:32 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
I would have never guessed a dealer would install somebody else's parts so I apologize for that wrong info. I will have to see if mine will but I like the idea of having the one year or 12000 mile parts and labor warranty.
some won't. my mechanic friend hates this and will not install parts people buy elsewhere. he compares this to bringing your own eggs to a restaurant and telling them to make your food cheaper.
Old 06 Oct 2012, 03:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A lot of dealers are hurting. If they have a chance to bring $1000 to the dealership and don't have to warranty the parts, it's a win/win situation.

I know the mechanic (who has now left for another Chrysler dealership so he could make more money ...more work to be done) and he's also done some work on the side for friends and neighbors at his home.

BTW, the belt was done at 99,000 miles and is running perfectly.