PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Please help--need to replace the purge valve solenoid!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sanatanadharma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Oct 2012, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Please help--need to replace the purge valve solenoid!

Please, I posted earlier and have no replies. I am a do-it-yourselfer and usually successful at finding out what I need to know. I have the repair and tech manuals for my pt cruiser, 2003. It is actually, technically, a 2002. I need to replace the canister purge valve solenoid. I know where it is, but I don't see how to get it out. I have been searching all over the web and think this is the best place to get help!
Thanks so much!!
Old 06 Oct 2012, 11:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Please help--need to replace the purge valve solenoid!

From your other thread, what codes are you getting?
P0440 & P0441 may not be the purge solenoid.
When I replaced the purge solenoid on my 2004, I removed the air box and loosened the power distribution center (PDC) to move it aside. This gave me access to the purge solenoid on a 5-speed. An automatic may be different.
Shop manuals say the purge solenoid is accessed from below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbindy View Post
Please, I posted earlier and have no replies. I am a do-it-yourselfer and usually successful at finding out what I need to know. I have the repair and tech manuals for my pt cruiser, 2003. It is actually, technically, a 2002. I need to replace the canister purge valve solenoid. I know where it is, but I don't see how to get it out. I have been searching all over the web and think this is the best place to get help!
Thanks so much!!
3rcruiser likes this.
Old 08 Oct 2012, 08:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Oh, thank you for replying! Yes, it is a 5 speed. The error code is P0441.
I appreciate your help! Can you tell me, how difficult is it to take the air box and PDC loose? I wonder if I should just take it to my mechanic. I have done a fair amount of work on cars for many years, but just want your wise opinion.
Again, thank you so much.
Old 08 Oct 2012, 11:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

Easy (IIRC, do this)
Air box:
Loosen two screw clamps on air tube, loosen two spring hooks on side of air box (as when changing filter), remove cover with air tube . Pull small breather hose off side of air box and pull up on lower half of box. It is held by two (3?) bottom pegs that press into rubber grommets, plus a tab and grommet (look at rear of box). May be tight if never removed, try generously spraying (soapy) water around, trying to puddle under air box.
PDC:
Held to the bracket by plastic spring tabs and can be pulled upward. The entire bracket is held by a small number of easily seen and reached fasteners and I moved it aside.

Replacing the purge solenoid did not cure my recurring P0441 and P0440 codes. I needed to replace the natural vacuum leak detector (NVLD) which requires dropping the gas tank; do-able in the driveway but more involved. Try the purge solenoid and hope that is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbindy View Post
Oh, thank you for replying! Yes, it is a 5 speed. The error code is P0441.
I appreciate your help! Can you tell me, how difficult is it to take the air box and PDC loose? I wonder if I should just take it to my mechanic. I have done a fair amount of work on cars for many years, ...
Old 09 Nov 2014, 12:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
From your other thread, what codes are you getting?
P0440 & P0441 may not be the purge solenoid.
When I replaced the purge solenoid on my 2004, I removed the air box and loosened the power distribution center (PDC) to move it aside. This gave me access to the purge solenoid on a 5-speed. An automatic may be different.
Shop manuals say the purge solenoid is accessed from below.
thanks for the tip ..your way sounds a lot easier...it helps that I also have a 2004 ,5 speed.....