PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Please help--need to replace the purge valve solenoid!

 
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sanatanadharma

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06 Oct 2012, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 14
Default Please help--need to replace the purge valve solenoid!

Please, I posted earlier and have no replies. I am a do-it-yourselfer and usually successful at finding out what I need to know. I have the repair and tech manuals for my pt cruiser, 2003. It is actually, technically, a 2002. I need to replace the canister purge valve solenoid. I know where it is, but I don't see how to get it out. I have been searching all over the web and think this is the best place to get help!
Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06 Oct 2012, 11:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Walking distance to the embassy
Posts: 3,020
Default Re: Please help--need to replace the purge valve solenoid!

From your other thread, what codes are you getting?
P0440 & P0441 may not be the purge solenoid.
When I replaced the purge solenoid on my 2004, I removed the air box and loosened the power distribution center (PDC) to move it aside. This gave me access to the purge solenoid on a 5-speed. An automatic may be different.
Shop manuals say the purge solenoid is accessed from below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbindy View Post
Please, I posted earlier and have no replies. I am a do-it-yourselfer and usually successful at finding out what I need to know. I have the repair and tech manuals for my pt cruiser, 2003. It is actually, technically, a 2002. I need to replace the canister purge valve solenoid. I know where it is, but I don't see how to get it out. I have been searching all over the web and think this is the best place to get help!
Thanks so much!!
3rcruiser likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2012, 08:16 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 14
Default Re: Please help--need to replace the purge valve solenoid!

Oh, thank you for replying! Yes, it is a 5 speed. The error code is P0441.
I appreciate your help! Can you tell me, how difficult is it to take the air box and PDC loose? I wonder if I should just take it to my mechanic. I have done a fair amount of work on cars for many years, but just want your wise opinion.
Again, thank you so much.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2012, 11:56 am
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Walking distance to the embassy
Posts: 3,020
Default Re: Please help--need to replace the purge valve solenoid!

Easy (IIRC, do this)
Air box:
Loosen two screw clamps on air tube, loosen two spring hooks on side of air box (as when changing filter), remove cover with air tube . Pull small breather hose off side of air box and pull up on lower half of box. It is held by two (3?) bottom pegs that press into rubber grommets, plus a tab and grommet (look at rear of box). May be tight if never removed, try generously spraying (soapy) water around, trying to puddle under air box.
PDC:
Held to the bracket by plastic spring tabs and can be pulled upward. The entire bracket is held by a small number of easily seen and reached fasteners and I moved it aside.

Replacing the purge solenoid did not cure my recurring P0441 and P0440 codes. I needed to replace the natural vacuum leak detector (NVLD) which requires dropping the gas tank; do-able in the driveway but more involved. Try the purge solenoid and hope that is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbindy View Post
Oh, thank you for replying! Yes, it is a 5 speed. The error code is P0441.
I appreciate your help! Can you tell me, how difficult is it to take the air box and PDC loose? I wonder if I should just take it to my mechanic. I have done a fair amount of work on cars for many years, ...
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09 Nov 2014, 12:42 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: san Diego
Posts: 312
Default Re: Please help--need to replace the purge valve solenoid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
From your other thread, what codes are you getting?
P0440 & P0441 may not be the purge solenoid.
When I replaced the purge solenoid on my 2004, I removed the air box and loosened the power distribution center (PDC) to move it aside. This gave me access to the purge solenoid on a 5-speed. An automatic may be different.
Shop manuals say the purge solenoid is accessed from below.
thanks for the tip ..your way sounds a lot easier...it helps that I also have a 2004 ,5 speed.....
__________________
first 4 cylinder,it sure aint no 8....2004 2.4 base pt 5 speed manual.live wires,screeming demon coil, stage 1jet chip,strut tower bar,airraid setup..nothing fancy...NO TURBO
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Purge Valve Solenoid mbindy Tech & Performance Forum 0 06 Oct 2012 01:26 pm
purge code P0400 pluminator Tech & Performance Forum 2 22 May 2012 08:26 pm
Back in a PT...can anyone purge and charge the A/C for me? redram2500 Canada PT Forum 8 04 Feb 2011 11:57 pm
Purge solenoid elmeyer Tech & Performance Forum 0 19 Aug 2009 07:14 pm
what does the mopar BOV PLATE sound like-does it bypass the purge valve completly ? mino Turbo Performance 1 15 Oct 2007 02:21 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors