PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Troubleshooting PT Cruiser Error Codes

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Oct 2012, 10:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Troubleshooting PT Cruiser Error Codes

Okay, been holding off on this to finish it up, but decided to go ahead and share what I have so far.

First off, everyone should learn that they are NOT error codes, they are Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's). Trouble codes are completely different and have nothing to do with what I'm posting. Everyone here keeps saying they are error codes, but me being OCD, they are NOT!

For two years now I've been collecting issues associated with each and every PT Cruiser DTC. Along with this, I've researched the suggestions for troubleshooting and clearing the issues. So, what I've done is put together a listing in PDF format of all of our DTC's along with suggestions for troubleshooting them. Mind you, these relate to all Chrysler vehicles all the way back to 1995, but are intended mainly for our PT Cruisers.

You can download the DTC Troubleshooting Document here: PT Cruiser DTC Troubleshooting.

Mind you, this is not a flat out statement on all DTC's and how to fix your PT, the intent is to help all of our extended family members here troubleshoot their problems. I'm going to include this in our library, but wanted to post it separately first so that all members can access this document. Now I'll be updating this in the future, but wanted to get it out now while I have the chance to. I'm not around much lately, so wanted to share what I've collected to date. Much more to come....
epis, Samills6, JoKir and 1 others like this.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Troubleshooting PT Cruiser Error Codes

I have a p0700 trouble code.If I disconnect the lead battery cable it clears up for a short while. The effect is it does not want to shift when the check engine light comes on,but shifts just fine when reset? So many suggestions on the parts house readout... whrer to start?
Old 23 Jun 2014, 10:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Troubleshooting PT Cruiser Error Codes

thanks I got it downloaded....
Old 23 Jun 2014, 08:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bking View Post
I have a p0700 trouble code.If I disconnect the lead battery cable it clears up for a short while. The effect is it does not want to shift when the check engine light comes on,but shifts just fine when reset? So many suggestions on the parts house readout... whrer to start?
I would suggest going through the transmission trouble shooting in the OEM Service Manual. If you are interested, I do have them for our members at no cost, just have to PM or email me with your contact info and I can give you a link where to download.
Old 24 Jun 2014, 12:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The only thing that should be mentioned about your list is the use of a proper diagnostic scanning device should be used preferably with readiness access information. The key dance and disconnecting the battery should NOT be used as part of good way to clear or retrieve PCM information.

Also the Chrysler PCM will clear any corrected DTC or pending DTC if the Readiness is reset and the PT is driven for about 50 miles. Some Technicians like myself will sometimes say 3-5 complete engine cycles but is seldom necessary.
Old 24 Jun 2014, 03:30 am
Banned

Be sure to pm crewzin chromey
Old 01 Aug 2015, 12:47 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Okay, been holding off on this to finish it up, but decided to go ahead and share what I have so far.

First off, everyone should learn that they are NOT error codes, they are Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's). Trouble codes are completely different and have nothing to do with what I'm posting. Everyone here keeps saying they are error codes, but me being OCD, they are NOT!

For two years now I've been collecting issues associated with each and every PT Cruiser DTC. Along with this, I've researched the suggestions for troubleshooting and clearing the issues. So, what I've done is put together a listing in PDF format of all of our DTC's along with suggestions for troubleshooting them. Mind you, these relate to all Chrysler vehicles all the way back to 1995, but are intended mainly for our PT Cruisers.

You can download the DTC Troubleshooting Document here: PT Cruiser DTC Troubleshooting.

Mind you, this is not a flat out statement on all DTC's and how to fix your PT, the intent is to help all of our extended family members here troubleshoot their problems. I'm going to include this in our library, but wanted to post it separately first so that all members can access this document. Now I'll be updating this in the future, but wanted to get it out now while I have the chance to. I'm not around much lately, so wanted to share what I've collected to date. Much more to come....
The link does not work. How do you do the key dance to get the DTC's?
Old 01 Aug 2015, 03:31 am
Young Cruiser

Smile Re: Troubleshooting PT Cruiser Error Codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardFields71 View Post
The link does not work. How do you do the key dance to get the DTC's?
Got it to work. It did it each time on 2 tries. It flatlined to 6 dashes, waited then said done. No codes.

I had to seriously clean off the electrode, then re-bend the catch that goes around it. My kid had bent it funny, or perhaps the lady did. It runs okay, but still had the engine light come on, but w/o codes. Our guess is that the a/c overworked the weak charge to the battery, and prevented it from recharging up with the alternator. Once it sat, it was able to re-start. It would usually turn off on the first turn, unless I moved it constantly.

Should I unhook the battery, clear it, or take it to autozone and see what they say?

Tanks for posting the way for getting the codes. I did not know the cruiser stopped being made in 2010. I also would not have gotten it without the info posted on this forum! Thank you!

BTW, I was worried about the car engine having been doped with something, as it acted like my Ford windstar had when it happened a little, the gagging. So I put a B-12 chemtool in it, and it works much better. NM has awfully poor gas.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 01:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I would suggest going through the transmission trouble shooting in the OEM Service Manual. If you are interested, I do have them for our members at no cost, just have to PM or email me with your contact info and I can give you a link where to download.
Please send me the link to OEM Service Manual.
I have a 2001 Pt with P0700 and need help.
Thanks
Abram J Unger
shirleyunger@yahoo.com
Old 24 Jan 2016, 01:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyunger1 View Post
Please send me the link to OEM Service Manual.
I have a 2001 Pt with P0700 and need help.
Thanks
Abram J Unger
shirleyunger@yahoo.com
The P0700 is a general code for transmission issues. It takes a special Scan Tool to read the transmission codes. I would suggest you take the PT Cruiser to a transmission place that does not charge for reading the transmission codes you might have. Post back when you find out what the codes are if you are able to drive it.

P0700 - Automatic Transmission Control System Malfunction

Possible Causes:
1. TCM detected a problem
2. TCM Sensor related has solenoid is damaged or has failed
3. Check for other TCM codes
4. TCM or PCM has failed

What is your PT Cruiser doing? Are you able to drive it?

Free 01-04 PT cruiser shop manual

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 24 Jan 2016 at 02:09 pm.