Advertisements
crazy gas consumption, rough idle

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2012, 11:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Default crazy gas consumption, rough idle

Hello fellow cruisers

I recently acquired a 2002 touring edition, my second pt. The drive is great, but I have some issues that need some serious attention.

While the drive seems great, idling when at a light is rough. The rpms seems to be steady, but I dont know what to make of the idle. it idles just under 1000, maybe 800 or so. I changed the spark plugs and wires, the plugs are autolite platinum, is that my problem? I know some cars dont like anything but good ole copper plugs. I've also put in a can of seafoam in the tank today.

the gas consumption is outrageous! I filled up the tank, drove about 70 miles and it was at half. I filled up again, another 60 miles, and it's at half again. 130 miles on one tank? I know I'm not going to get the mpg of a prius, but what i'm getting now is just not right.......I have got to find out what's going on here!! i'm getting way less that 20 or even 10!!

there's 120k on the clock and beyond what I've done, I don't know what has been done. I went to autozone's sympton checker thing and it says for my rough idle i need to change my egr valve. should I check my pcv valve also?

I would appreciate any help you guys can give me!
Old 09 Oct 2012, 11:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: crazy gas consumption, rough idle

Hello PuterChick,

Go with the EGR valve. I had a similar problem this past summer. The key dance error code lead to my EGR valve. After changing that the rough idle problem was solved.
Old 10 Oct 2012, 12:31 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserLady View Post
Hello PuterChick,

Go with the EGR valve. I had a similar problem this past summer. The key dance error code lead to my EGR valve. After changing that the rough idle problem was solved.
Hi CruiserLady,

thank you for responding. I will definitely put that on top of the list. Did it at least help with your gas mileage? I'm not sure if I have anything else going on or if the rough idle is tied in with the mpg
Old 10 Oct 2012, 12:45 am
Senior Cruiser

EGR's probably the culprit, but if you could do the 'key dance' as referenced above and post back with the actual DTCs, it would be easier for us to diagnose.

Old 10 Oct 2012, 12:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuterChickFL View Post
Hi CruiserLady,

thank you for responding. I will definitely put that on top of the list. Did it at least help with your gas mileage? I'm not sure if I have anything else going on or if the rough idle is tied in with the mpg
I didn't actually calculate the mpg at that time. I did however notice the fuel gauge going down faster than normal. Because of this response to the error code in the thread I posted: "P0401=EGR System failure: required change in air/fuel ratio not detected." in the following thread I assumed it was effecting the mpg.

Here are some other things recommended from that thread.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...reply&p=451362

Edited to add correct thread: Rough Idle with embedded Video

Last edited by CruiserLady; 12 Oct 2012 at 12:06 am. Reason: add correct thread link
Old 10 Oct 2012, 01:04 am
Young Cruiser

can you explain to me the "key dance"?

okay, i turned the key three times to the on position, the third time I left it there, but all I saw it say was "done". No P XXXX code. Did I do it right?

Last edited by PuterChickFL; 10 Oct 2012 at 01:13 am.
Old 10 Oct 2012, 01:05 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserLady View Post
Here are some other things recommended from that thread.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...reply&p=451362
this link sends me right back to this thread?

I think I did eventually find the thread you were talking about. You were able to change the EGR valve yourself? If it's that easy I will be getting my brother on the job. I also pay him with beer

Last edited by PuterChickFL; 10 Oct 2012 at 01:21 am.
Old 10 Oct 2012, 12:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sorry about that. When I tested the "Permalink" button on Chromenut's post in my preview it seemed to work, but obviously did not.

We followed the directions in my Haynes manual. Although the instructions were good they were also somewhat limited. Don't know if it's because it covers three years and there are slight differences in the model years or they just left out some of the steps. Either way we got 'er done and I'm sure your brother will enjoy the beer.
Old 10 Oct 2012, 02:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I ahve no idea where you are but there shoul;d be a Orileys or autozone or pep boys??
go adn ask them to check the codes on your car with a ObII reader it will tell you what is bad and it should be free

the plugs the wires the egr all will effect your MPG

HOWEVER with 120,000 on the clock if the timing belt has not been done you are really wasting yout time its expensive and a pain to do but if its not been done it will ahve to be addressed and pretty soon
Old 10 Oct 2012, 03:47 pm
Young Cruiser

My CEL is not on so I didn't know I had codes to pull, but I do have my own scanner so I will check when I get home tonight.

Plugs and wires were changed, the plugs are autolite platinums